Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We were helped out by the lack of anything other than our subs and your subs in the ocean. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure our passive sonar buoys would be slightly more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Realistically, I imagine MAD would be giving plenty of false positives especially in the shallow waters near the coast, and wouldn't be anywhere near as useful, since you can't just drop a torpedo on every sunken wreck that dings the MAD.

One of the things that I don't see mentioned in the thread is the torpedo range problem; while many Russian torpedoes are faster than their Japanese counterparts, they have a much smaller engagement envelope. This was a critical issue in our submarine strategy, especially in the loss of the Yasen. I only fired 1 torpedo because I hoped it would scare the SSK off before it got a good solution, at which point iIcould drop RPKs on it from range. I wasn't expecting the enemy to Volley literally every single one of his torps at me, and the torpedo going stupid during the wire break was a drat shame - the Japanese SSK broke all its wires too, but its torpedoes still tracked. In the end, it didn't matter, as the kill was avenged quickly, but it certainly stung for a turn.

The Akula's blindness led to us using them in crazy ways - Kashalot surfaced near the end to act as a SAM battery with its small complement of MANPADS, and I had standing orders to use active sonar - unthinkable in real warfare, since you can be detected much more easily than you can detect. However, our testing revealed that such an engagement might actually end in our favor due to the instant targeting solution and the poor quality of the acoustic intercept sensor of the Japanese submarines. Unfortunately (fortunately?), the Bears did such a good job sweeping the sea that we were never close enough for a sub-on-sub engagement that wasn't preempted by RPKs.

The one remaining interesting thing is that I was not detected on my last high speed dash with Kashalot, despite the fact that I was traveling at flank speed and came within 15 nmi of Kobold's SSK. While I was too deep to cavitate, the Akula is not at all a quiet boat at that speed. Perhaps it had something to do with the layout of the continental shelf around that area, since I was well over the edge and Kobold was in relatively shallow waters.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Realistically, I imagine MAD would be giving plenty of false positives especially in the shallow waters near the coast, and wouldn't be anywhere near as useful, since you can't just drop a torpedo on every sunken wreck that dings the MAD.

One of the things that I don't see mentioned in the thread is the torpedo range problem; while many Russian torpedoes are faster than their Japanese counterparts, they have a much smaller engagement envelope. This was a critical issue in our submarine strategy, especially in the loss of the Yasen. I only fired 1 torpedo because I hoped it would scare the SSK off before it got a good solution, at which point iIcould drop RPKs on it from range. I wasn't expecting the enemy to Volley literally every single one of his torps at me, and the torpedo going stupid during the wire break was a drat shame - the Japanese SSK broke all its wires too, but its torpedoes still tracked. In the end, it didn't matter, as the kill was avenged quickly, but it certainly stung for a turn.

The Akula's blindness led to us using them in crazy ways - Kashalot surfaced near the end to act as a SAM battery with its small complement of MANPADS, and I had standing orders to use active sonar - unthinkable in real warfare, since you can be detected much more easily than you can detect. However, our testing revealed that such an engagement might actually end in our favor due to the instant targeting solution and the poor quality of the acoustic intercept sensor of the Japanese submarines. Unfortunately (fortunately?), the Bears did such a good job sweeping the sea that we were never close enough for a sub-on-sub engagement that wasn't preempted by RPKs.

The one remaining interesting thing is that I was not detected on my last high speed dash with Kashalot, despite the fact that I was traveling at flank speed and came within 15 nmi of Kobold's SSK. While I was too deep to cavitate, the Akula is not at all a quiet boat at that speed. Perhaps it had something to do with the layout of the continental shelf around that area, since I was well over the edge and Kobold was in relatively shallow waters.

Russian submarine tactics tend towards going active, loud and fast rather than the stealthy approach of the US, but the Bear coverage was solid. I’ve been playing a bunch of hot Barents sea engagements with a akula wolfpack, and it’s a lot different to the US game, partially because it’s depressingly loud and a P3 magnet over 10 knots, but i also suck.

Quite the ‘harpoons are poo poo’ demonstration though. I’ve put four of them into a supertanker and it’s limped away.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Yooper, you legend. What a way to go out!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

A huge amount of credit goes to FrangibleCover and TheDemon for the Russian strategy. I'd follow those two, happily, in any future engagement.

Absolutely same.

And thanks again Yooper for running this!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Thanks Yooper, great job running this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think a Bear shooting down an F-15 about sums things up nicely.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

a bear stomping on an eagle's cockpit, forever

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah the bears were straight up bullshit. RFK should have been literally indistinguishable as close to the seafloor as he was. I mean unless the Russians have mapped magnetic layout of the seafloor. Which is possible since the US has done it, but I'm having a hard time believing that the survey is accurate enough to use like that. But then again I've no idea how sensitive military gear is... but then you run into more noise problems. Either way, it seems like sub's just aren't an option if MAD is being used.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Hardly bullshit. Uncontested as they were for, what, 16-20 hours, them finding and picking off our subs was only a matter of time. Fear of that (and the Mainstay) was why I ordered the initial attack early on, around turn 10-12.

Of course, what I SHOULD have done was be proactive, order everyone to assume the heavy SAMs were 75 mi beasts instead of 175 mi beasts, and push the CAP forward on turn 1. But that's hindsight for you.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

After the first MAD hit I did some digging in regards to the MAD and asked a handful of people. I came up with mixed answers and, in the end, decided to stick with what the system modeled. It seemed to work too well, and had the scenario included bogus MAD signatures, or even better, neutral submarines, this all would have been significantly different.

In the future if I do one of these rounds again the subs will all be NOCOMM (so the AI can't share info) and players will have to come to radio depth to either share a hit, and hence direct a Bear, or remain submerged and duke it out. Same with launching RPK's, yah, if that other sub had orders to remain at radio depth he'd be able to fire, otherwise we'll not bring him to depth. At a basic level yah, you can micro-manage unrealistically, but we can do better in that regard next time.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

All said and done, I had a pretty good time. If you wind up running another scenario I'd definitely like to participate.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Oh, and lest anyone think I'm pulling a German high command and covering my own rear regarding my motivations for the initial attack...

Davin Valkri posted:

[...]

Air Units (Jimmy4400Nav, Stairmaster, Tythas, Taintrunner, Valhelmethead) -- So long as the Mainstay and Bears are allowed to just screw around like that, we can't get anywhere with our subs and readying counterstrike. I hereby authorize an attack to eliminate it, and whatever tanker tow line is hanging around behind them.

[...]

If you don't think this plan is viable, tell me so, but letting the Russians have full play over the Sea of Japan has already cost us two submarines, and I'd like to prevent them from just building up their forces unimpeded like this. If the attack is not viable, do something to provoke a response from Burevestnik/Sakhalin. Heck, maybe that'll involve a feint against the Mainstay.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Plek posted:

Yeah the bears were straight up bullshit. RFK should have been literally indistinguishable as close to the seafloor as he was. I mean unless the Russians have mapped magnetic layout of the seafloor. Which is possible since the US has done it, but I'm having a hard time believing that the survey is accurate enough to use like that. But then again I've no idea how sensitive military gear is... but then you run into more noise problems. Either way, it seems like sub's just aren't an option if MAD is being used.
I've just checked and Kobold was at least 300ft from the sea floor in that area, the area around the Kurils is stupid deep. The Soviet Union was planning to use the Sea of Okhotsk as a submarine bastion, protected by patrols down the Kurils so it's entirely possible that a magnetic layout was known and is still in use by Russia. The entire area is their back yard and 310 OPLAP have been running those same Bears out of the same airbase in Kamchatka pretty much since they entered service. If anyone can distinguish magnetic anomalies from the background it's them. It's also worth mentioning that it took hours and hours of patrol and some educated guesswork from myself to actually find a submarine with MAD alone, otherwise Japanese subs were either found by our submarines and then only localised by MAD or simply went undetected until they very nearly won the scenario on their own. With regards to false positives... I did nuke two whales in the course of operations. Yooper can probably provide exact kill information, I've probably killed two of the ~54 North Pacific right whales left in the world.

If Japan had been in a position to contest airspace control over their submarines then MAD sweeps would be at the very least disrupted if indeed they didn't have to stop altogether, and it's possible that with sufficient air superiority the P-3s could have used their own MAD and their considerably superior sonobuoys to hunt and kill Russian submarines around Urup.

I'm going to do a brief breakdown of the events around RFK's sinking to demonstrate how it happened. This is not a criticism of his captaining, in his place I'd have made exact the same decisions and died exactly the same way.
Turn 27 Orders:

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I've used the scale and some paint fuckery to estimate the convoy's track. We know their speed is 20 knots, and I'm estimating their course as 220. Each white line is about 22nm long, +/-10%. From this we can see their estimated positions in the next few hours, as well as their closest point of approach to me in about two hours.

I'll need to move a little fast in order to get torpedoes into play, but considering this is endgame and I'm in just about the best position possible that's a risk I'm willing to take, especially since we're going to be making our big move at the same time.

HIJMS Kobold, make course 310 at speed 10 knots, maintain depth
WRAs: Hold fire unless specified by contingency
Contingencies:
If a torpedo is targeting me (defined as within 10nm and holding steady on an intercept course), immediately launch harpoons at the skunks, one per target.

Alright ghosts, let's get galloping.

Kobold speeds up, quite rightly, to intercept the convoy. He also issues a sensible order to fire Harpoons if he's about to be killed.

Turn 27 Resolution:

Yooper posted:

Russia 27

Habeas picks up a goblin. One of the nearby Bears is going to investigate. A moment later it is classified as an SSK. I'm going to get the Bear into position before firing an RPK.

The goblin is proving difficult to resolve. The bear is going in low.

The SSK resolves to a Soryu, and only 15nm from Trigger! RPK's away!

10 kts and moving to the north-northwest. A moment later the RPK fires. The Bear is almost overhead.

The zone of uncertainty keeps shifting while the Bear circles. The only thing providing any information is Habeas's Vepr.

The SSK goes quiet. I've got the Bear doing a lap over the last known position area.

And there, at the end of the potential zone of uncertainty the Bear gets a MAD hit. The bear goes engaged offensive.

Torpedo away!

:ohdear:

Bear is going in for another look. The Soryu came up to depth, and is now diving again at 20 kts.

:frogsiren:

Vampires!

And the Bear finds its mark.

Yooper posted:

Japan 27

One of the Bears has detached itself from the strait and is hunting near Kobold. I'm going to drop his speed to creep.

Kobold starts picking up ID on the incoming convoy.

:frogsiren:

Torpedo! Per orders Kobold will race to firing depth and loose his Harpoons!

300 meters and closing! It's going to be a tough shot. Kobold is at -823 ft and rising.

Torpedo misses!

I literally never see torpedos spoofed. Ever.

Harpoons away! I now set Kobold back to max depth, and will try to evade.

RIP Kobold. But his harpoons fly on.

Habeas' Akula, travelling at only 5 knots, picks up Kobold passing through his sonar convergence zone at 10 knots and passes the information to all other units using his ansible. A Bear is detached to try to locate Kobold from this information using MAD and takes 20 minutes to get a MAD hit. In this time an RPK was fired by Triggerhappypilot at the uncertainty zone, which landed so far away that Kobold didn't even hear it. Kobold slows to 5 knots and Habeas loses him, and at the same time his sonar performance improves and he gets some IDs on the surface task force. Finally the Bear does get the MAD hit and attempts an engagement, which took another six minutes of active prosecution to drop the fatal torpedo. Had Japanese CAP been present they would have had more than enough time to sweep the Bear from the sky and then Kobold's prosecution would be a case of the blind leading the blind as Habeas and Trigger attempt to work the target using their crappy sonars and noisy submarines.

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh, and lest anyone think I'm pulling a German high command and covering my own rear regarding my motivations for the initial attack...
Your logic was good, it's the same conclusions we were at.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

That all matches with my conclusions as well. Naval air patrols are a hard counter to submarines; they inevitably gently caress up a sub and there's nothing a sub can do about it, requiring outside assets (ie friendly air) to shoo them away. This was true back in the moustache war, this was true in the cold war, and CMANO has just demonstrated it's even truer today. If I was doing that again, I'd be much more conservative with my sub and try not to operate outside our radar coverage, and really push for allied air to harass any loitering ASW aircraft.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest problem facing us was the limited air turn around. Our F-15s were basically one shots, so I think everyone was hesitant to waste them chasing off bears.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I didn't mean to disparage anyone's decisions or imply that success was undeserved. Positioning is important; but the bears effectively mean a hint of sub is a dead sub. And that might be the point, as was said they're kind of a hard counter. I'm actually a little curious about the MAD itself now. Generally that kind of sensor would only resolve a hit close to directly above a target unless working in tandem with another, but it may be a kind of SAR or maybe its picking up the magnetic 'noise' generated by the sub's systems. Which is again kind of what I meant by bullshit - BS the same way those Indian pilots were probably thinking the Chinese late gen fighters were as they basically tore apart India's air force in Yooper's other game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Plek posted:

I didn't mean to disparage anyone's decisions or imply that success was undeserved. Positioning is important; but the bears effectively mean a hint of sub is a dead sub. And that might be the point, as was said they're kind of a hard counter. I'm actually a little curious about the MAD itself now. Generally that kind of sensor would only resolve a hit close to directly above a target unless working in tandem with another, but it may be a kind of SAR or maybe its picking up the magnetic 'noise' generated by the sub's systems. Which is again kind of what I meant by bullshit - BS the same way those Indian pilots were probably thinking the Chinese late gen fighters were as they basically tore apart India's air force in Yooper's other game.

I think this is more down to the balance of forces. Bears can be countered, but not by subs. Different units have different strengths and weaknesses, and they need to be used together for best effect.

As an observer who was reading both threads, I thought the Russians integrated their air and naval operations much better than the Japanese. They had a coordinated plan for what they were doing, and used all of their assets towards that end bar some blatant mistakes with their subs early on. They also seemed to be a lot more willing to adapt and change things up depending on what worked and what didn't.

The Japanese side, from what I read, was just plowing ahead with their plan and idea of how things would go.

I think that's what made the difference more than planes or subs, the Russians were just plain better lead - and still almost lost it because of how vulnerable their objective was.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Oh yes, the Russians definitely seemed to have a more, uh, measured approach after their initial gun run. It looks like Japan needed to rely on it's navy to really stop the convoy judging by how many of its missiles were intercepted. Torpedos still seem to be civil shipping's bane. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a low flying torpedo drone or something in anyone's arsenal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Plek posted:

Oh yes, the Russians definitely seemed to have a more, uh, measured approach after their initial gun run. It looks like Japan needed to rely on it's navy to really stop the convoy judging by how many of its missiles were intercepted. Torpedos still seem to be civil shipping's bane. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a low flying torpedo drone or something in anyone's arsenal.

Torpedoes are big, heavy, complicated weapons that are hard to arm and use. They're a lot more difficult to use, especially from a drone.

The best bet for torpedo-armed drones are submarine drones, not aerial.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If I may ask why didn't all Japanese boats just immediately point themselves at the destination at turn 1 and go on creep speed?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'd add that the way this turned out is somewhat off due to all subs using ansibles to coordinate with aircraft and other subs. In reality, the Vepr would have had to surface and ping its information on RFK to the Bear, which then would have gone hunting. That probably would have taken at least a few more minutes. Likewise, unless THP was coming to antennae depth to get an update, it'd have never even known RFK was so close and thus not taken a shot because he was tooling along at 35 knots. IIRC there was another time where we first spotted a sub from a sub and then used that to direct the Bears.

So that's probably part of why the Bears were so fearsome, they were essentially getting real time information from the submarines and thus able to know roughly where to look for the enemy. Likewise, when Aphid was making his mad dash, each sub skipper would have had to decide whether they should fire on him or not without being able to talk over the chance that he was bait.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

If I may ask why didn't all Japanese boats just immediately point themselves at the destination at turn 1 and go on creep speed?

I was concerned that had we done so, your subs would have turned things into a stern chase, and since SSNs are faster than SSKs, this would result in our subs getting run down and shot in the baffles. There's also lesser concerns like letting the Yasen have free play to bombard Chitose's runways.

EDIT: Also the Bears, but see above for what we should have done about that.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
It's hard not to gamify things, really. As cool as a bunch of distinct sub commanders trying to coordinate with limited info would be, it sounds like it'd be a giant pain for Yooper to handle. I kind of wonder what the expected outcome of this scenario is, or how players are expected to go about it anyway.

Cythereal posted:

Torpedoes are big, heavy, complicated weapons that are hard to arm and use. They're a lot more difficult to use, especially from a drone.

The best bet for torpedo-armed drones are submarine drones, not aerial.

Yeah I'm not really up to par on modern weapon systems knowledge. I had assumed that torpedoes were relatively 'smart' since they had a fairly robust active sensor system and, you know, modern computers but watching them go haywire after their controlling sub was downed in this was interesting.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I might be at a point where I'd consider trying a nocomm submarine LP scenario now but getting into this we literally didn't know what even. We would've splattered if we had had to navigate an even steeper learning curve. The beer and pretzles difficulty worked. It was so absurdly close in the end that you can't really say that the scenario was unbalanced imo.

Davin Valkri posted:

I was concerned that had we done so, your subs would have turned things into a stern chase, and since SSNs are faster than SSKs, this would result in our subs getting run down and shot in the baffles. There's also lesser concerns like letting the Yasen have free play to bombard Chitose's runways.

EDIT: Also the Bears, but see above for what we should have done about that.

Okay! Worry over the idea of having to poke my face into the destination approach and somehow locate four stationary invisible SSKs that beat me there was the major driver of my decisionmaking in the second half of the game, that's why I ask.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I agree entirely that this scenario worked out as close to perfectly as possible, and came right down to the end, but I would love to take part in a more developed scenario where we change things up a bit. There's no real easy way to do it for sub commanders, since it'd suck to only be able to check in on orders every couple turns and not be a regular part of the strategizing with their team, but having civilian and 3rd party traffic plus some more flexibility to do goon-y stunts would be awesome.

This was a blast, and what complaints I have are essentially quibbles.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

I agree entirely that this scenario worked out as close to perfectly as possible, and came right down to the end, but I would love to take part in a more developed scenario where we change things up a bit. There's no real easy way to do it for sub commanders, since it'd suck to only be able to check in on orders every couple turns and not be a regular part of the strategizing with their team, but having civilian and 3rd party traffic plus some more flexibility to do goon-y stunts would be awesome.

This was a blast, and what complaints I have are essentially quibbles.

Agreed on all counts.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Partly because I was in command of the Japanese surface fleet and they did absolutely nothing, but I felt like they were particularly pointless in this scenario. I'm not sure what else I could have done with them beside let them sit back and hope to make a mad dash to intercept the convoy and not get Granit'd to death like they did. But their Harpoon range isn't stellar and they would have needed to come out into the open eventually to make a shot and they had effectively nothing for fleet defense.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

yeah, the japanese surface fleet is this bad combination of loving slow, defenseless, and starts way out of position. it'd be good if they had a few modern DDGs that started, say, a hundred nm behind the sub cordon. that's well within range of naval helicopters and potentially in range of naval SAMs too, to help with the ASW/anti-ASW side of things.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Popete posted:

Partly because I was in command of the Japanese surface fleet and they did absolutely nothing, but I felt like they were particularly pointless in this scenario. I'm not sure what else I could have done with them beside let them sit back and hope to make a mad dash to intercept the convoy and not get Granit'd to death like they did. But their Harpoon range isn't stellar and they would have needed to come out into the open eventually to make a shot and they had effectively nothing for fleet defense.
I'm in a similar place. We had you templated for ships a generation more advanced than you had (A Murasame and two Asagiris or something), which was why we hit you with 24 carrier-killing supersonic missiles, and we still thought the most dangerous thing you could do was run directly at Iturup and shell it to pieces before you died. The Oscar is just way too strong for everything else in this scenario unless you invest multiple Eagles in killing its strike, which you can't do because you don't have enough Eagles and even if you do do that then Russia has the Yasen and the MiG-29SMTs at Iturup-Burevestnik to take shorter ranged shots. With full knowledge of the entire scenario set up I'd personally say that I would take the fleet and immediately transit it at maximum speed through the La Perouse Strait and down into the Sea of Japan so that it couldn't be killed and I couldn't lose the victory points for its death.

As I say, if you remove the Oscar and replace it with SSM batteries around the islands you refocus the Japanese SAG as an anti-shipping task force and give it at least a hair of a chance of making it into range of the convoy, or barring that forcing the Russian player to react to it with assets they'd rather not use like the Yasen's missiles or rearmed MiG-29s. In the current scenario the Oscar is purpose designed for killing the Japanese SAG and the only other things it can do are act like a worse Akula or gamily throw missiles into the Eagleswarm to draw out their shots.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Radio Free Kobold posted:

yeah, the japanese surface fleet is this bad combination of loving slow, defenseless, and starts way out of position. it'd be good if they had a few modern DDGs that started, say, a hundred nm behind the sub cordon. that's well within range of naval helicopters and potentially in range of naval SAMs too, to help with the ASW/anti-ASW side of things.
If you mean modern frigate-type destroyers then they would have been instantly annihilated by the Oscar. If you mean Kongo derivative AEGIS destroyers then there is no scenario, Russian air assets can't get near you and the Oscar can really only kill one.

Missile tag is a bitch.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

e: poo poo I meant to add a cherry blossom or something

e: there we go

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 19, 2019

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
For the NOCOMM idea, 3rd side the submarines and ban them from the thread unless they're at radio depth, in which case they can catch up and post until they submerge again. Take their orders by private message / discord, and have the only way to reach them surface requests by ELF (again, private message from the GM on behalf of the team's commander).

Side commanders would have to track positions by whatever the sub guys said their intent was last time they were in communication.

That itself could be an interesting goon game, maybe for a different scenario.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

TheDemon posted:

For the NOCOMM idea, 3rd side the submarines and ban them from the thread unless they're at radio depth, in which case they can catch up and post until they submerge again. Take their orders by private message / discord, and have the only way to reach them surface requests by ELF (again, private message from the GM on behalf of the team's commander).

Side commanders would have to track positions by whatever the sub guys said their intent was last time they were in communication.

I think that's a good way of doing it, but I agree with Aphid that for this scenario where our submariners were mostly stumbling around in the dark the ansibles were the right decision. Additionally this scenario relies very heavily on submarines from both sides, they're Japan's best shot of stopping the convoy and Russia's best shot of stopping Japanese subs, so having them semi-cut off isn't necessarily the best idea. I think something more like one of the myriad North Cape scenarios where both sides get only a couple of submarines that are mostly secondary to the Airsea battle would be a better test for something like this. Having said that, I think this scenario also showed that surface operations in CMANO aren't very interesting on the timescales we play so maybe North Cape wouldn't be so great.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

e: poo poo I meant to add a cherry blossom or something

e: there we go
:captainpop:
:golfclap:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

TheDemon posted:

That's a very large amount of extra workload. I'm running an LP where I have a side that received individual, PM/Discord updates, and what you're doing amounts to preparing entire whole extra updates. This slows your update pace by a lot.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

That's a very large amount of extra workload. I'm running an LP where I have a side that received individual, PM/Discord updates, and what you're doing amounts to preparing entire whole extra updates. This slows your update pace by a lot.

For a unit or two it'd be ok, but I agree, for much more than that it'd become a huge pain in the rear end. There is a way to export-import a mission using Lua, so it's possible you could share a snapshot of a scenario (sans hostiles) and let the players create there own missions, and load it back in. Great for things like patrol missions, probably not so great with pathing instructions. That could be done with lua, but requires a whole different level of skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

The other way of doing it, I suppose, is to have one player act as Submarine Commander who gives orders to all of the nocomm submarines and also gives them times/orders on when to surface and report. They then wait and hope and I guess can maybe send out ELF signals requesting that subs come to the surface and receive orders. The role itself might end up feeling a bit helpless for the player but from a GM's perspective it's much easier to run and it allows some level of combined arms coordination because the sub player can actually talk to everyone else in the interludes between submarines reporting in.