Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wedgekree posted:

Also I imagine that somewhere on Okinawa or wherever the nearest Pacific SOSUS receiving station is from the Cold War a bunch of USN crewmen are watching with beer and popcorn.

Further to the south in Japan there's probably a docked Aegis cruiser with a betting pool in the CIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think the Russian players were being too clever for their own good. Or just not understanding mechanics too well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Though their number of subs is diminishing steadily...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm not familiar with this game so I can't speak for that, but it might be interesting to drop an uninvolved third party into the war zone without telling anyone - say a civilian ship accidentally blundering into the area or a third nation's submarine gathering intel, to add some potential for things getting ugly in the fog of war and potentially setting up another scenario.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Notahippie posted:

Oh, good idea. A Chinese seems like the best bet in this scenario - they would be very interested in what's going on, but not likely to share information that they had a sub in the area with either country involved.

I like this idea. Introduce, say, a Song or Han snooping in the middle of the battle that both sides detect simultaneously. I don't think a Chinese submarine gathering intelligence would occur to the players on either side as a possibility, and regardless of the outcome of this scenario if someone sinks a modern Chinese fast attack sub during all this fracas it could make things very interesting indeed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hav posted:

You’ve got some basic areas in your sea. Near the surface, the water is warmed by the sun and isn’t under as much pressure. Around two hundred feet down, light ceases to warm it, and it starts to get colder and more pressurized.

What this shakes out as is that the speed of sound in the channel - the surface bit - varies down to the layer, which is the mixing layer of warm and cold water, then below the layer, which is dark, cold and dense.

This means that above the layer, in the channel, there’s a refractive effect for soundwaves travelling through and below the layer. In short, when the density is constant, the speed of sound remains constant; when it changes, the speed of sound changes. This works for active and passive sonar.

Now most subs after the cold war use a ‘towed array’ for passive listening. This thing follows on a cable, but is steerable like a kite, so submarines just below the layer will listen above the layer, and subs above the layer will listen below. Being in the channel, or listening in the channel is good for surface contacts, or just drifting and listening. Below the layer is normal for hunting, and deep is for transitting. Periscope depth gives you radar and mk1 eyeball in CMANO, but it’s risky with bears around.

The subs have green circles surrounding them. These are convergence zones, areas where the soundwaves have actually bent, and carry sound further from the source.

A note on cavitation; this is a side-effect of whipping a solid object through water that causes air bubbles to collapse, and it’s bad in liquid-ring vacuum pumps because it causes pitting, but it’s bad for submarines and ships because it sounds like someone throwing gravel into a waste disposal. Cavitation kills submarines because it pinpoints your position for hundreds of miles. Even if you attempt to creep away, the uncertainty circle of your position only gets so much bigger over time.

The denser the water, the less oxygen and the less chance to cavitate. It does not mean that you are quieter, however. Dashing around without knowing who is in the neighborhood isn’t a good idea. A loud submarine is a dead submarine.

Loving the LP, that strike on the radars was awesome.

Adding to this, there are ways to detect submarines besides sound. What let the Bear pick up and kill the latest sub was the Bear's MAD - Magnetic Anomaly Detector. The technology is complicated and MADs have a lot of uses in civilian geological and oceanographic research, but for these purposes, at heart it boils down to putting a giant magnet in a plane and waiting for it to detect something big and ferrous underneath the plane - like a submarine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yooper posted:

I've read of some ambiguity in the depth of the MAD sensors. Some sources claim 1500 ft, others 1,000, and one limited it to 200 ft. So I'm not sure what is valid so I'm deferring to the game to know more than I. I don't think the Bears passive buoys can pick up the Japanese subs unless they are cavitating.

I think the MAD depth is mostly due to the real stats being classified for obvious reasons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh dear. Looks to me like the Russians have a golden opportunity to smash the Japanese fleet and they sure intend to take it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Notahippie posted:

There's a definite chance that the JSDF is about to get proper hosed and it'll be interesting to see whether they get out of it or not.

They did not. Eight missiles per ship was probably overkill, but that's almost three hundred more dead Japanese sailors in very visible fashion - not like their submarines steadily disappearing.

The American aegis cruiser inevitably down around Yokohama is probably reading that early chapter of Red Storm Rising over the intercom.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wedgekree posted:

I think that threads can be locked to folks?

And the Russians are playing pretty well and the Japanese aren't adapting. The Russians are doing a pretty nice hand and are playing it well. Kudos

I think the Russian players have been better at figuring out what works and what doesn't. They made some mistakes that cost them unnecessary losses, but they've learned from those mistakes. The Japanese are just kinda plowing ahead with their previous plan and shrugging at their losses, including their whole surface force.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ScottyJSno posted:

What else could the surface force have done? In my mind the Japanese surface forced was doomed to die or do nothing. The Japanese didn't/don't have the air power to properly screen them.

After that air engagement, I'd have held the surface force back as a reserve or into an ambush position against possible convoy routes with shelter from the terrain.

Russia took numerically more losses in the air exchange, but they had the planes to lose and it didn't seriously hurt their strategy. The Japanese really couldn't afford the air losses they suffered, and I don't think the Japanese players appreciate how that damaged their grasp of the battlefield.

The Japanese players just seem concerned with trying to kill whatever they can see while the Russians have a plan in mind.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Japanese have figured out the Russian plan. Going to be interesting to see if the Russians can pull this off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This was always going to be a tough mission for the Russians. I don't think there was ever a realistic chance of getting the convoy in undetected, so unless the Russians held back the convoy and dedicated themselves to defanging Japan first, a pucker moment like this was bound to happen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A nail-biter finish.

Great work to everyone on both sides, and especially to Yooper for doing all this!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

habeasdorkus posted:

I am 100% up for a goon v goon rematch in a Yooper generated scenario where we can get up to hijinks like actual maskirovka and using what's actually on the field of play (like, the planes at Iturup were located at the old mid-cold war airbase instead of the much newer one, and I didn't have the option of starting two of my MiGs at the Kunashir airport for an even faster attack on the eastern radar stations.

Also, if we have plenty of third parties, what happens when one side sinks an old DPRK Romeo? Or a Type 214? Or a Jin that didn't get out of the conflict area in time?! Having potential for AI intervention would really mess with our heads, if Russia could end up getting SK and Japan on the same side, or prompting the US to step in, or if the ROK decides they need to act and sends their own convoy to reinforce Dokdo/Takeshima with sea-denial assets.

Or we could end up somewhere else in the world, for example a border war starting between Venezuela and one of their neighbors, where the planes and missiles wouldn't be quite so deadly and we could throw some real junk at each other.

One of my suggestions earlier in the thread was both of y'all picking up a Chinese SSN lurking in the area without being told there's someone else in the area and waiting to see if either side would attack the Chinese.

Still, I don't blame Yooper for trying to keep things simple on the first outing. I felt before and still now that this is a very rough scenario for the Russians, but it's a first stab at running a scenario like this in this format, so some jankiness is only to be expected.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Plek posted:

I didn't mean to disparage anyone's decisions or imply that success was undeserved. Positioning is important; but the bears effectively mean a hint of sub is a dead sub. And that might be the point, as was said they're kind of a hard counter. I'm actually a little curious about the MAD itself now. Generally that kind of sensor would only resolve a hit close to directly above a target unless working in tandem with another, but it may be a kind of SAR or maybe its picking up the magnetic 'noise' generated by the sub's systems. Which is again kind of what I meant by bullshit - BS the same way those Indian pilots were probably thinking the Chinese late gen fighters were as they basically tore apart India's air force in Yooper's other game.

I think this is more down to the balance of forces. Bears can be countered, but not by subs. Different units have different strengths and weaknesses, and they need to be used together for best effect.

As an observer who was reading both threads, I thought the Russians integrated their air and naval operations much better than the Japanese. They had a coordinated plan for what they were doing, and used all of their assets towards that end bar some blatant mistakes with their subs early on. They also seemed to be a lot more willing to adapt and change things up depending on what worked and what didn't.

The Japanese side, from what I read, was just plowing ahead with their plan and idea of how things would go.

I think that's what made the difference more than planes or subs, the Russians were just plain better lead - and still almost lost it because of how vulnerable their objective was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Plek posted:

Oh yes, the Russians definitely seemed to have a more, uh, measured approach after their initial gun run. It looks like Japan needed to rely on it's navy to really stop the convoy judging by how many of its missiles were intercepted. Torpedos still seem to be civil shipping's bane. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a low flying torpedo drone or something in anyone's arsenal.

Torpedoes are big, heavy, complicated weapons that are hard to arm and use. They're a lot more difficult to use, especially from a drone.

The best bet for torpedo-armed drones are submarine drones, not aerial.