Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, kinda sounds like the dude did a Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Seeing comicsgaters go from mocking Ed, taking credit for him muting the channel and laughing at the thought of him killing himself to using it as another excuse to target and harass those they love to target and harass makes me sick to my stomach.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Dude died as he lived, an emotionally stunted comics goblin that never outgrew his teenage try hard edgy persona.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

site posted:

he was in fact trying to get a 17yo to come stay with him

Saw some weirdo trying to justify age of consent laws and blah blah blah. Even if 17 is “legal” in whatever state, it’s still creepy and wrong.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Grooming.

It's grooming.

He was grooming under age kids.

That poo poo ain't right, never has been.

Never will be.

And he was a bad person for doing it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's clearly terrible behavior, I was just saying he hadn't done anything he could be arrested or likely even sued for, so while I think suicide would be an extreme response to most anything, it seems exceptionally extreme in this circumstance.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I think he figured that his career was pretty much dead. He had an exhibit cancelled and he most likely figured that his only livelihood was in the shitter and he was done.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Getting outed as a sex pest then killing yourself is bad enough, but also taking potshots at people who gave your work a negative review in hopes psychos will dogpile them after your death is insanely cowardly.

If Piskor had any dirt on Evan he would've laid it out, clearly his spiteful personality would not have let him take that kind of ammo to the grave.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Why did he take that final step?

He knew what he did.
He knew there was evidence out there of it.
He knew his reputation was going to be ruined over it.
He likely had already started to experience friendships, business offers and more suddenly go away.
It was going to get worse.

He couldn't handle that.
Especially if there is more that we don't know about.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

I mean, I don't think suicide is ever the answer, but it seems like the accusations against Piskor weren't even that bad, right? like, just inappropriate communication with underage fans, he wasn't getting them to send him nudes and he wasn't meeting them in person, if I'm not mistaken. It's still terrible behavior but Vic Mignona for example was accused of a lot worse and he's still around

It’s not good to tell someone that you’ll help them professionally if they suck your dick, either. The contempt those women felt was well-earned, imo. Still something he could have moved on from well enough to keep making comics with a good and thoughtful apology, if not escape people laughing and jeering at him whenever he would have gotten a little wider attention.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

It's clearly terrible behavior, I was just saying he hadn't done anything he could be arrested or likely even sued for, so while I think suicide would be an extreme response to most anything, it seems exceptionally extreme in this circumstance.

I think it's easy to forget because so many people these days have absolutely zero shame whatsoever, but arrest or lawsuit are not even necessarily the worst consequences people can face for their actions. Being known by your friends, family and peers as a (at best) child groomer is seriously something that can destroy a person. If you're a shameless Vic type who has a loyal armed of brainwashed sycophants, sure, you can probably keep going. If you're not then you're going to encounter a situation where people you care about or loved are going to no longer want to be associated with you, be disgusted by you, or even if they continue to associate with you will probably be ashamed of it.

That's a lot for a person, especially someone who already has issues. Suicide is not usually a rational response. (Outside of like end-of-life sort of things.) It's frequently an emotional snap choice and someone faced with that sort of future could very easily make that choice, especially since (as evidenced by their final statements) they were angry, bitter and miserable at others as well as themselves. One of the things that most often stops people from hurting themselves isn't logic about themselves but about the impact it will have on others, and if you're not someone who feels that way suicide (especially as a combination of self and harm to others) is a path that people are drawn to.

It's not logical or rational. Suicide doesn't work that way.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Just checking in to report that Ed Piskor was from Pittsburgh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Some news about terrible comics people that isn't horribly depressing. EVS tried to book a booth under a fake name and when the con found out he got told to kick sand.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1776038598556442892?t=n_XlYkRwqLnHHdWylGC2NA&s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
throw greg smallwood in the trash

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

There's just no path forward for people who refuse to take any responsibility for their actions, blame their victims constantly, and will even weaponize their suicide to try to sic rabid assholes on others! You (woke/SJW/MeToo/whatever) scolds are just so unreasonable!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
What do you mean, I can't just mumble a couple of words and make all my problems and the consequences of my bad behavior disappear?!?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also Warren Ellis did none of those things and is in fact notable for how little he did them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And Warren Ellis is able to work professionally without having to face any consequences, other than maybe he can’t find victims as easily as he could before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also like...

"Not being able to work in your chosen field after you abused your position" is an absolutely reasonable consequence to have. it sucks for you, absolutely, but that is the consequence for doing something that specifically involves abusing your position. Having to find a new job that isn't as fun or glamorous or satisfying is something people who've done nothing wrong have to deal with if something goes south for them, you can deal with it happening as something you were directly responsible for.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Especially with comics; you can just make a Kickstarter and say you're making an anti-woke thing and get a few grand, and you don't even have to make the product

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Also like...

"Not being able to work in your chosen field after you abused your position" is an absolutely reasonable consequence to have. it sucks for you, absolutely, but that is the consequence for doing something that specifically involves abusing your position. Having to find a new job that isn't as fun or glamorous or satisfying is something people who've done nothing wrong have to deal with if something goes south for them, you can deal with it happening as something you were directly responsible for.

Yeah it's weird that "maybe you shouldn't get to do the thing you abused to hurt people" is a bridge too far.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

I AM GRANDO posted:

And Warren Ellis is able to work professionally without having to face any consequences, other than maybe he can’t find victims as easily as he could before.

Is he still doing comics?
TBH I feel like he checked out of comics a few years before he stopped writing.

At any rate, "Don't oppress my argument with facts" is a great take, always fun

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Isn't Cameron Stewart still doing regular big 2 books, including his White Knight universe stuff for DC which seems to be rather popular. Unless I'm getting him confused with someone else.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lucifunk posted:

Isn't Cameron Stewart still doing regular big 2 books, including his White Knight universe stuff for DC which seems to be rather popular. Unless I'm getting him confused with someone else.

You're confusing him with Sean Murphy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lucifunk posted:

White Knight is Sean Murphy.

Looking at the Wikipedia page for Stewart, it seems like his comic work fell off a cliff after the allegations surfaced in 2020: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Stewart

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Ah yeah ok. My bad, thanks for the correction.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think Sean has had some talk about him too, although I can't recall if it was like, ed piskor type stuff

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I remember Sean having some "just asking questions" style opinions and when people tried to steer him away from that he just quit twitter but that was years ago. If there's whispers of something more sinister that's a little sad.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

I AM GRANDO posted:

oh no he's stuck doing profitable television and streaming concerns rather than getting work-for-hire checks for a marvel book that sells 20,000 copies in the direct market

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It's always reassuring to me that, if I follow some comics creators and drop others when their lovely actions come to light, there's a whole universe of talent more worth my time. Arguments like Smallwood's about "so they don't get to work again?" always neglect to consider the ripple effects on other careers/creatives that never launched.

Like, there was a time when seemingly everyone who was anyone in comics had some level of contact with Ellis's forum. Today's best-selling graphic novelists never knew and don't give a poo poo now, and I think that's beautiful.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Space Fish posted:

It's always reassuring to me that, if I follow some comics creators and drop others when their lovely actions come to light, there's a whole universe of talent more worth my time. Arguments like Smallwood's about "so they don't get to work again?" always neglect to consider the ripple effects on other careers/creatives that never launched.

Like, there was a time when seemingly everyone who was anyone in comics had some level of contact with Ellis's forum. Today's best-selling graphic novelists never knew and don't give a poo poo now, and I think that's beautiful.

Gail Simone, Matt Fraction, Kelly Sue DeConnick, and Chip Zdarsky were all regular posters on the Warren Ellis Forum in the early 2000s, before any of them blew up. Fraction and Kelly Sue met and fell in love there!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

very risky blowjob posted:

oh no he's stuck doing profitable television and streaming concerns rather than getting work-for-hire checks for a marvel book that sells 20,000 copies in the direct market
If it's any comfort I can find zero evidence of Ellis doing television/streaming jobs, profitable or otherwise, since the allegations came out.

In fact the only television work of substance released to my knowledge is the Castlevania Netflix series, which he was promptly yanked from as soon as SoManyOfUs was launched.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

If it's any comfort I can find zero evidence of Ellis doing television/streaming jobs, profitable or otherwise, since the allegations came out.

In fact the only television work of substance released to my knowledge is the Castlevania Netflix series, which he was promptly yanked from as soon as SoManyOfUs was launched.

Definitely for the benefit of the series. I hated his writing on Castlevania Netflix.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
In his weekly newsletter, Ellis mentions working on a bunch of tv and comics projects that have yet to be announced yet, though some of it is consulting work.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Gail Simone, Matt Fraction, Kelly Sue DeConnick, and Chip Zdarsky were all regular posters on the Warren Ellis Forum in the early 2000s, before any of them blew up. Fraction and Kelly Sue met and fell in love there!

Kieron Gillen too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can you imagine a time when an Internet forum owned by a secretly horrible abuser could have been culturally significant? Truly a strange notion.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Oasx posted:

In his weekly newsletter, Ellis mentions working on a bunch of tv and comics projects that have yet to be announced yet, though some of it is consulting work.

Guess he's out of the doghouse.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the last thing I read from Ellis was Trees, which was good, but I wonder if his shtick will still be popular in tyol 2024

I won't be buying it, either way

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Oasx posted:

Ellis has spent at least twenty years hinting at projects in his newsletter and 80% of the non-comics ones (and probably 50% of the comics ones) never actually happen. I'm not ruling out that he is getting projects/consulting gigs/etc. but it's coming up on four years since SoManyOfUs launched and other than Ben Templesmith claiming Image would be publishing more Fell and Image going "lol what" in 2021, no one besides Warren Ellis has mentioned any of these projects so I'm a little skeptical they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I did see one VR game on Steam that came out that he was a consultant on.