Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Edge & Christian posted:

Ellis has spent at least twenty years hinting at projects in his newsletter and 80% of the non-comics ones (and probably 50% of the comics ones) never actually happen. I'm not ruling out that he is getting projects/consulting gigs/etc. but it's coming up on four years since SoManyOfUs launched and other than Ben Templesmith claiming Image would be publishing more Fell and Image going "lol what" in 2021, no one besides Warren Ellis has mentioned any of these projects so I'm a little skeptical they exist.
Even twenty years ago, at the height of his popularity, he was known for teasing and announcing projects that never saw the light of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Stuff like punching up a script pays money and you don't show up in the credits, and he clearly has to be making money somehow.

Like, David Mamet worked on the script for the film Ronin, and you will not see his name in the credits anywhere.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I feel like "well he has to be making money somehow, it must be uncredited script punch-ups" is still pretty tenuous. I do understand that is a thing that exists (even if people who do it frequently do end up getting some sort of credit), and the Ronin example is odd because Mamet is credited as one of the two screenwriters on Ronin, his name is not on the movie because he didn't want to share credit so he insisted on being credited under a pseudonym.

Unless this is a secret clue that Warren Ellis has been writing things under a pen name!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
With WGA rules he’d be credited if he wrote something around a third of the final script but it’s all supposition now.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I feel like Ellis’ So Many Of Us fizzled out a bit, it ended with his accusers saying that he wasn’t taking the necessary steps for them to continue working with him, while Ellis wrote that from his perspective they were actively going through the process, and he was surprised that they stopped.

So I could see how some would see the matter as settled and want to work with him again.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Just because there's no visible output doesn't mean that Ellis hasn't been working. Grant Morrison wrote a whole Flash movie script -- and got paid for it -- that now sits, unused, in a dusty vault somewhere. Ellis has agents who will keep him paid, because that keeps them paid, even if the actual paid-for work doesn't end up ever going further than a script or a treatment or whatever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/ephermeres_/status/1777032573648355705
Webtoons is pushing some really bad contracts. Basically "we'll throw you a couple grand and we own everything" kind of deals.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

No wonder so many Webtoons strips "go on hiatus."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

very risky blowjob posted:

Just because there's no visible output doesn't mean that Ellis hasn't been working. Grant Morrison wrote a whole Flash movie script -- and got paid for it -- that now sits, unused, in a dusty vault somewhere. Ellis has agents who will keep him paid, because that keeps them paid, even if the actual paid-for work doesn't end up ever going further than a script or a treatment or whatever.

He was writing an audio drama / podcast thing called Department of Midnight starring James Callis and produced by one of the Castlevania guys, though the only direct source for that I see anywhere is his own newsletter. He claimed it was finished and release details were being sorted out as recently as this February.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/ephermeres_/status/1777032573648355705
Webtoons is pushing some really bad contracts. Basically "we'll throw you a couple grand and we own everything" kind of deals.

Yeah, Webtoons is pretty lovely. There’s also historically been some conflicts between the creators and the website about advertising (even mid-tier popularity series barely get advertising on the website) and they pay their translators pretty poorly, too

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
About the only thing they did right was instantly yoink GET SCHOOLED the moment it got too racist for South Korea.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kchama posted:

About the only thing they did right was instantly yoink GET SCHOOLED the moment it got too racist for South Korea.

What was this?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Samovar posted:

What was this?

It was a webcomic about the horrors of banning 'beating the poo poo out of kids', literally. The general premise is that South Korea was great, bullying didn't exist! Then they banned beating children and suddenly it exploded out of control! In South Korea bullying is a massive problem and beating children was legal until a bit before the webcomic started It was always pretty hosed up with the general premise, but it also tended to go places, usually horribly sexist and anti-feminist places. But the last storyline before it got canned was about a Korean-American teacher at a school who discovers that the poor innocent pure-blood South Korean students were being mercilessly bullied by a half-black half-Korean student, so he told the students about how racist black people are in America and the chapter ended with him screaming the n-word in the student's face.

A twitter user pointed this out before the English translation was made and everyone INCLUDING the Korean side went "Wait, what?" and the webcomic was cancelled basically immediately.

The author tried to claim that he was actually misunderstood, it was suppose to show how mixed-race students suffer from bullying and racism... by, yaknow, having the mixed student be the big evil bully and about get a lesson in how racist mixed students are and was about to be beaten to a pulp.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1779208712458256865?t=qYWK5knFvIwFx5NF1zZf8w&s=19

I can't even imagine what Tom Taylor could have done to make people do this poo poo.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Air Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1779208712458256865?t=qYWK5knFvIwFx5NF1zZf8w&s=19

I can't even imagine what Tom Taylor could have done to make people do this poo poo.

He made the fictional son of a fictional character bisexual.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

Oh, loving of course.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I remember one screaming freak tweeting constantly about how racist Tom Taylor is because he made Bruce Wayne's half-Arabian son a snarling feral were-cat, (in the line wide event where practically everyone was turned into a slathering were-something). Apparently this was conclusive proof as to how Taylor sees all Arabian people.

Dude has a lot of crazies on his case.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Joe Fisto posted:

Unless I’m missing something new… years ago?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

hadji murad posted:

Unless I’m missing something new… years ago?

That was the last thing I could think of that would set the chuds off.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If it lingers in someones mind or someone new learns about it that's all it takes.

Hateful people will always find something new to rage about, even if the reason is years old.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Look, you can't expect the world's biggest, most over-invested comicbook fans to actually read comics. Like all true serious aficionados, they have to wait 2-3 years until a YouTuber tells them to be mad about it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Comic book twitter is so clowny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Last Call posted:

If it lingers in someones mind or someone new learns about it that's all it takes.

Hateful people will always find something new to rage about, even if the reason is years old.

That thing not too long ago with Chuck Dixon doing a bad Photoshop making Nightwing say he was bisexual brought it back into their brains for a while.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
didn't think i can get even more disappointed but here we are

seems like a good time to crack open the hardcovers of Superson I have and enjoy me some Tom Taylor books!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

People also blame him for Dick being with Barbara instead of Starfire.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The specific burning pictures posts seem to be coming from the left based on the user profiles; I can't tell what the rationale is.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I love nightwing comics and every post in the negative about him is from a 20 something tumblr-type upset Dick Grayson has funny scenes and sometimes makes mistakes.

And is with Batgirl, and not Starfire, for some reason.

And, Damian is a child who is pretty much fandon "angry little poo poo that actually cares"

The last time I saw this kind of outrage, teen titans go debuted.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was going to say Dick had been with Babs since, well, Chuck Dixon's run at the least but I forgot the cartoon was a thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

I like him with Babs, but that's a grudge I can at least respect.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Open Marriage Night posted:

And I will never forgive him.

In a normal way that doesn’t involve burning him in effigy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

And I will never forgive him.

In a normal way that doesn’t involve burning him in effigy

"Bro, if you don't buy a five dollar comic and tear it up on camera, do you even hold a grudge?"

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm pretty sure the more virulent Tom Taylor hate comes from Oracle fans. There's an argument to be made that his portrayal of Babs is not great, but I'm pretty sure it's editorial that has some weird "Babs must be standing and in a Batgirl costume every time she appears" mandate, and it is just comics after all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The majority of the time she's in Nightwing she's playing Oracle for him tho

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I think her time between Batgirl and Oracle is pretty evenly split. But her and Dick going out on team ups has been fun.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Am I the only one who likes Nightwing with either Barbs or Starfire?

I prefer Barbs as Oracle and it appears they're moving more and more back towards that.

She really made a legacy and impact as that character. Especially for people in wheelchairs who came to view her as someone to aspire to be like.

Barbs might have been put in a chair, but it didn't limit her. She was strong, capable and handled more than one person that thought her defenseless.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Oracle rules and Dick's track record is... well...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Babs’ true love is Ted Kord

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Last Call posted:

Am I the only one who likes Nightwing with either Barbs or Starfire?

Only one solution: throuple

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

thetoughestbean posted:

Babs’ true love is Ted Kord

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner