Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
There’s no doubt those people are going to do it, so I’m not even giving them the time of day.

What Ed did was bad. He was inappropriately private messaging, potentially grooming underage girls in DMs. Other people shared similar creepy stories of interacting with him.

I wish he had just owned up to what he did, gone away, worked on himself. Found another hustle in some other field.

It always seemed unlikely. He, by his own admittance, lived and breathed comics. No idea what else he would have done.

I’m sad at the loss of talent. I’m sad for his family. I’m sad for Jim Rugg. I’m sad about what his victims will feel and what they’ll have to deal with now, as he pretty directly accused them of causing this in his note. I’m sad that he felt this was the only option. It very much wasn’t, and I’m sure his decision here was the culmination of lots of issues we were not privy to.

I liked Piskor’s work a lot. I’ve been reading him since my freshman year of college, when I randomly found Wizzywig. Like I said, I was a big fan of CK. It was only a week ago I was watching a new video with him and Rugg in it. Hard to believe he’s gone.

It’s a flurry of weird emotions. What a lovely situation all around.

Rip Ed, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
If this is on any level an April Fool’s gag… what a monstrous thing to kid about

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's why confirmation is important.

Until it's gotten, truly gotten. I'd take anything said and done with a huge grain of salt.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Well, looks like we have it.

https://twitter.com/ctropes/status/1774891424364040250?t=4X5dnm4u9uH0mUIl0ZANrg

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Conrad_Birdie posted:

There’s no doubt those people are going to do it, so I’m not even giving them the time of day.

What Ed did was bad. He was inappropriately private messaging, potentially grooming underage girls in DMs. Other people shared similar creepy stories of interacting with him.

I wish he had just owned up to what he did, gone away, worked on himself. Found another hustle in some other field.

It always seemed unlikely. He, by his own admittance, lived and breathed comics. No idea what else he would have done.

I’m sad at the loss of talent. I’m sad for his family. I’m sad for Jim Rugg. I’m sad about what his victims will feel and what they’ll have to deal with now, as he pretty directly accused them of causing this in his note. I’m sad that he felt this was the only option. It very much wasn’t, and I’m sure his decision here was the culmination of lots of issues we were not privy to.

I liked Piskor’s work a lot. I’ve been reading him since my freshman year of college, when I randomly found Wizzywig. Like I said, I was a big fan of CK. It was only a week ago I was watching a new video with him and Rugg in it. Hard to believe he’s gone.

It’s a flurry of weird emotions. What a lovely situation all around.

Rip Ed, I guess

Yeah this sums up my feelings.

Also CG was ripping hard into Ed so that’s a pretty rich take from them.

e: gently caress. I feel really bad for his family, his friends, and his victims

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 1, 2024

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

He’s talked about his own issues with suicidal thoughts, I hope this doesn’t take him back there. He’s a super nice guy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bill Sienkewicz also confirmed on his FB.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Looks like he called out specific people as directly responsible so they're getting harassment

going out like a true loser

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah...it's such a grim and sad thing overall. Him naming people who he perceived as wanting to take him down was pretty awful (though that comment about Evan Dorkin does sound worrying)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Evan Dorkin responded: https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/1774902485460689168

I'd been following Darryl Ayo's posts about it on bluesky and I thought as far as criticism goes it was pretty lukewarm, and nowhere near the level of, say, what people are throwing at Evan Dorkin right now.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
This is going to be an absolute poo poo show.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Some grifter trying to sell a book about 'cancel culture' hopped on the minute his death was confirmed. Goddamn ghouls.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cross posting from the Online Creators thread:

I admit I really liked Hip Hop Family Tree back in the day, and it is sad that he felt that he felt no other alternative, but also angry that he did it in what is apparently (I am sorry, but I am not reading a suicide note) the most spiteful, childish way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t see how anyone could in good faith (the key distinction) see the criticism Ed Piskor got from other professionals and think that it was in any way abusive or even unfair. He could have apologized or released a statement through an attorney or just stayed completely quiet and endured another two weeks of people making fun of him online before he was old news and he probably could have even gone back to doing comics after a while. He was just incapable of being able to see that, which is not the problem of people who saw how he was lovely and selfish.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Publicly blaming your victims in your suicide note is pure sociopathy.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/RobertSecundus/status/1774948030866731103

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Looks like news is emerging that alt comic artist Ed Piskor has sadly taken his own life just days after being accused of predatory behaviour towards female fans

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Please don’t barge into this thread with you weird loving gimmick, Wizard Master

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/RobertSecundus/status/1774948835959120060

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Joe Fisto posted:

Some grifter trying to sell a book about 'cancel culture' hopped on the minute his death was confirmed. Goddamn ghouls.

There were a few assholes in the comment thread on Sienkewicz's post.

Ghoul is the right word.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Jesus Christ, I take my eye off of both this thread and Cartoonist Kayfabe for one week and it all goes to poo poo. I'm not on social media anymore (unless youtube is social media) so these forums tend to be where I get my pop culture news. I enjoyed CK a lot and found Piskor to be entertaining, I had no idea that he was creepy (aside from how hosed up Red Room looks).

I'm just now finding out about this allegations at the same time as his suicide but info is limited if you're not on twitter, etc. Could someone fill me in on the Evan Dorkin stuff? He's long been a favorite of mine, I'm curious how he factors into all of this mess.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm just now finding out about this allegations at the same time as his suicide but info is limited if you're not on twitter, etc. Could someone fill me in on the Evan Dorkin stuff? He's long been a favorite of mine, I'm curious how he factors into all of this mess.

As far as anyone knows all Dorkin did was criticize Kayfabe, not even the allegations against Piskor. There's been nothing against Evan as far as I'm aware.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Happy Hippo posted:

From what I've put together.

1) Dorkin put Piskor on blast on Twitter when the abuse allegations came out.
2) Piskor name-checked Dorkin in his suicide note (IIRC, saying that he hopes someday all of the skeletons in Dorkin's closet come tumbling out)
3) Dorkin responded (as seen in Fritz's post above)
4) The usual suspects are swarming in Dorkin's mentions

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

2) Piskor name-checked Dorkin in his suicide note (IIRC, saying that he hopes someday all of the skeletons in Dorkin's closet come tumbling out)

I don’t even think Ed said there were skeletons, just that he hopes they come out. Honestly if Ed knew of any it feels like he would have just said them.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Jordan7hm posted:

I don’t even think Ed said there were skeletons, just that he hopes they come out. Honestly if Ed knew of any it feels like he would have just said them.

I've not read the entire Piskor resignation letter but from what little of it that's been quoted elsewhere it seems like Ed went out doing as much damage as possible so yeah, I bet he'd have outed Dorkin if he had anything on him.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 3, 2024

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Evan has had his own well documented issues with his mental health, I hope he’ll be alright. lovely all around. His criticisms of Ed after the allegations were made public weren’t even all that bad as far as these things go.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Happy Hippo posted:

I've not read the entire Piskor resignation letter but from what little of it that's been quoted elsewhere it seems like Ed went out doing as much damage as possible so yeah, I bet he'd have outed Dorkin if he had anything on him.

Didn't read the letter but based on what people have said and recounted of it, the whole thing came off as a final "FU, I hope you get yours for causing me this grief" letter.

Piskor knew what he was doing saying the names he did. He knew what would happen. Like the rest of what he did, he refused to accept the consequences for his actions to the very end and made sure to toss some gasoline onto the pile before removing himself.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Not taking accountability for his poor choices, blaming victims and those who brought it to light, siccing the internet weirdos on them and then peacing out.

I’m thinking maybe he wasn’t a nice person.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

One thing that really stands out in his letter how he expects everyone from his orbit to clean up the mess he left behind him. From his agent to Jim Rugg, Ed seems to guilt everyone into tying up his loose ends and taking care of his family. It’s done in such a matter of fact way that I found it quite upsetting. Really feel bad for Rugg at the moment.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

Dorkin didn't even put Piskor on blast, he quoted tweeted a tweet describing the allegations, and obliquely tweeted about how people should behave better in positions of trust. What Dorkin has done was heavily criticise Cartoonist Kayfabe and Piskor's past work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I mean, I don't think suicide is ever the answer, but it seems like the accusations against Piskor weren't even that bad, right? like, just inappropriate communication with underage fans, he wasn't getting them to send him nudes and he wasn't meeting them in person, if I'm not mistaken. It's still terrible behavior but Vic Mignona for example was accused of a lot worse and he's still around

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Air Skwirl posted:

I mean, I don't think suicide is ever the answer, but it seems like the accusations against Piskor weren't even that bad, right? like, just inappropriate communication with underage fans, he wasn't getting them to send him nudes and he wasn't meeting them in person, if I'm not mistaken. It's still terrible behavior but Vic Mignona for example was accused of a lot worse and he's still around

Men don’t deal with their mental health issues very well and it makes me sad.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Not to bang on about Dorkin, but what exactly were his criticisms of Cartoonist Kayfabe and Piskor's work?

Seconding the sympathy for Jim Rugg, I can't imagine how he must be feeling right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I know that a lot of us are dulled due to spending a lot of time online, but "credibly accused of attempted pedophilia" is 100% a life-ruining thing no matter what the actual outcome is. Even if he got nothing worse than a slap on the wrist and a side-eye, it's still the kind of thing he'd never escape from.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Happy Hippo posted:

Not to bang on about Dorkin, but what exactly were his criticisms of Cartoonist Kayfabe and Piskor's work?

Seconding the sympathy for Jim Rugg, I can't imagine how he must be feeling right now.
Wasn't a fan of how tight they were with POS's
https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/1648196246220206082?t=6OlN0FO5H_9Cmqya-tCgKg&s=19

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Happy Hippo posted:

I don't know about anything about his being critical of Piskor's work (and a decade or so ago they seemed quite friendly, co-hosted panels, etc), but he has been vocal in the past about not being a fan of Cartoonist Kayfabe because of how it sort of lionizes/views with rose-tinted nostalgia a lot of the worst things about 80s-90s comics and the industry of that time, something Dorkin lived through and has very strong (negative) memories of in many ways. The point that he fully went negative (and apparently got blowback from Piskor) was when they started doing interviews with people like Todd McFarlane and Rob Liefeld (who not only were lovely/exploitative businessmen, but were lovely exploitative businessmen under the banner of CREATORS' RIGHTS) and especially when they started interviewing known creeps like David Choe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Air Skwirl posted:

he was in fact trying to get a 17yo to come stay with him

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

goddammit

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Air Skwirl posted:

I don’t know Piskor’s personal life at all, but I read his suicide note, and it painted a picture of… I don’t know, fragility. His community and his entire sense of self was wrapped up in comics. I don’t know if he had anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

site posted:

Hey now, this is missing context! He clearly meant after COVID, when she was 18 and fully an adult!

Did he ever say or imply this? No. But that clearly changes everything.