Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The other stuff is very typical Australian "popular left" which is mildly centre-right. Mildly progressive socially, "except for the real weirdos" (this was lgb people a decade and a half ago) and economically gently caress you got mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The thing is, Hanselmann IS one of the real weirdos and specifically quotes the existence of the dole as being the reason he could focus on comics. In the interview you can really see him ping-ponging back and forth between progressive views and the ingrained centre-right attitudes you describe. Real fascinating stuff.

Absolutely, and that "well it doesn't include me" attitude is also very Aus-centric, politically. Maybe some hangover of our cultural tall-poppie syndrome or similar, I dunno :confused: but iot's what makes Megg Mogg and Owl a really good example of Australiana. It's progressive enough that this diverse group of gently caress-ups can recognise that they're on the outskirts of society, but they also take glee in punching down at those some minorities with a very conservative bent? The WWJ Annual definitely highlights this concept a lot more than other MM&O books too, imo. There's a lot of queer self-loathing and targeting to be had with that character and it goes full tilt towards it in quite a few of the stories.

MM&O is an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a pre-lubed dragoncock dildo laced with meth, is what i think i'm trying to say. a land of contrasts