Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Is it okay that I don't like either design?

Black Cat's comic book outfit is very 70s so it absolutely needs a redesign. The cartoon one reads as "woman who punches out demons at the south pole" than "cat burglar" to me. Also the split color pants look weird.

I just wanted to let you know that while I disagree with your opinion on the outfit (I like it), I very much appreciate this reference.

Cuz it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Space Fish posted:

Is there any plausible deniability left in Jones's case? As in, he accepted a check to do a cover and didn't look into who was signing it? Or is he well and truly among the chuds?

He seems to have been on several Comicsgate streams and hangs out with EVS a lot...

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I went a bit through his Twitter feed and he never once mentions manga. Most of the time he even brings up media it’s to declare that “woke” media is bad.

He strikes me as the type to complain that SJWs made Gundam gay by having gay girls in the new show

That reminds me of a very similar-feeling Twitter thread where a guy had a 20 tweet thread about how the new show had Murdered Gundam and then it got to the end and it was like "Soon I'll watch the first episode."

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I feel like if you're gonna write a fawning post about someone you saw for five seconds on the internet, maybe you should do maybe do a cursory googling first.

Just to make sure you aren't being a complete dumbass.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Oasx posted:

Musk/Rogan/RFK and even Peterson all seem to partly appeal to people who are only superficially interested in politics or don’t engage much with social media, at least not enough to know much about how these people really are.

I’m not saying that Millar can’t be a a terrible person, I’m just not ruling out that he is completely ignorant instead.

I am, because those dudes are pretty open about their abhorrent beliefs. Millar would have to be extremely stupid to believe RFK's figleaf of running as a Democratic. And the figleaf isn't just for RFK, but also for his followers. They aim for the 'Independents' who are just GOP conservatives temporarily embarrassed by the party (until it is time to vote anyways).

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Uthor posted:

I see people who don't live in America not understanding the details of who popular figures are.

Though I also wouldn't have an opinion about foreign leaders without digging into those details.

If you’re enthusiastic enough to back them like that, then you can be judged by the beliefs of the people you back.

Opopanax posted:

I remember Millar throwing support behind someone awful a year or two but then he was like "whoops didnt realize they were awful" a few days later, does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about

I remember that too. I get the impression he did it to avoid blowback from backing someone awful. So he’ll probably do it here too if people get onto him.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

They also were big supporters of the Open Secret documentary, which is all about sexual abuse in Hollywood. I don’t know if the producers of that were already QAnon-sympathetic, or if they got pulled into it, but as soon as folks like Posobiec and Cernovich started trying to make it a part of their narrative, they fell right in.

I guess it’s entirely possible they aren’t super CHUDy personally and just support the monstrous pieces of poo poo they do for non-political reasons. I know they supported WWE Superstar Kane for mayor mostly because they got along with him on the set of See No Evil 2. But like… I’m not sure if that’s better.

They've signed on with Rippaverse, which is, from my understanding, a super right-wing Comicsgate-affiliated brand.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

It's not that surprising that a post appearing to solicit sympathy evokes memories of a very public racist rant.
Apologies don't seem to stand out in memory as strongly as the original offense.
He isn't entitled to people forgiving and completely forgetting because he showed a slight bit of remorse.

That said, I don't wish suffering on anyone, and people should be provided Healthcare. I can't think of many better uses for tax dollars.

It definitely didn't help that Peter David defended his racist tirade before someone finally told him what a moron he was enough that it made him apologize. Also his apology was still pretty racist (insisting that what the blatantly racist and lying tour guide told him was 100% true and other things) but it was a start.

I'd rather him not die either, but I can understand why people would still be less than happy with him.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
EVS already trying to make this a rally about the Evil Wokers who intentionally pushed him to suicide over something so minor.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Let’s not post about the vile people using this for internet clout, this situation already sucks enough

That's fair. It's why I'm pissed about it, though.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

site posted:

he was in fact trying to get a 17yo to come stay with him

Hey now, this is missing context! He clearly meant after COVID, when she was 18 and fully an adult!

Did he ever say or imply this? No. But that clearly changes everything.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Also like...

"Not being able to work in your chosen field after you abused your position" is an absolutely reasonable consequence to have. it sucks for you, absolutely, but that is the consequence for doing something that specifically involves abusing your position. Having to find a new job that isn't as fun or glamorous or satisfying is something people who've done nothing wrong have to deal with if something goes south for them, you can deal with it happening as something you were directly responsible for.

Yeah it's weird that "maybe you shouldn't get to do the thing you abused to hurt people" is a bridge too far.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

If it's any comfort I can find zero evidence of Ellis doing television/streaming jobs, profitable or otherwise, since the allegations came out.

In fact the only television work of substance released to my knowledge is the Castlevania Netflix series, which he was promptly yanked from as soon as SoManyOfUs was launched.

Definitely for the benefit of the series. I hated his writing on Castlevania Netflix.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Oasx posted:

In his weekly newsletter, Ellis mentions working on a bunch of tv and comics projects that have yet to be announced yet, though some of it is consulting work.

Guess he's out of the doghouse.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
About the only thing they did right was instantly yoink GET SCHOOLED the moment it got too racist for South Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Samovar posted:

What was this?

It was a webcomic about the horrors of banning 'beating the poo poo out of kids', literally. The general premise is that South Korea was great, bullying didn't exist! Then they banned beating children and suddenly it exploded out of control! In South Korea bullying is a massive problem and beating children was legal until a bit before the webcomic started It was always pretty hosed up with the general premise, but it also tended to go places, usually horribly sexist and anti-feminist places. But the last storyline before it got canned was about a Korean-American teacher at a school who discovers that the poor innocent pure-blood South Korean students were being mercilessly bullied by a half-black half-Korean student, so he told the students about how racist black people are in America and the chapter ended with him screaming the n-word in the student's face.

A twitter user pointed this out before the English translation was made and everyone INCLUDING the Korean side went "Wait, what?" and the webcomic was cancelled basically immediately.

The author tried to claim that he was actually misunderstood, it was suppose to show how mixed-race students suffer from bullying and racism... by, yaknow, having the mixed student be the big evil bully and about get a lesson in how racist mixed students are and was about to be beaten to a pulp.