Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The poor hedge fund managers, legally required to invest in unprofitable progressive companies. Required by the ESG, a program to prevent homelessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Apparently there's also been a lot of folks challenging books at libraries, like across the country.

I'm on the library board for a super liberal city. Our meetings are all public, but we just had pretty much our first random attendee in 5 years who was someone who "just happened to be curious" about the procedure for challenging books (which nobody has ever done here).

Support your libraries. Appreciate your librarians. Don't let the bastards win.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Thank you, author of "Engineers are always right". You impressed me with your comics that were often worth one chuckle, but I am not convinced by your idea that "People don't change after they turn 14".

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
From what I remember, Adams has worked to give himself an image as some kind of influencer/hypnotist, so I think part of the deal is that his reasoning is that if he couldn't change his step-son's trajectory, then it must have been impossible and the child's fault.

He's an absolute poo poo person. Addiction is tough, addiction is serious, and the only way anyone good ever survives is by supporting folks and being supported.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

BooDooBoo posted:

Twitter is a disease.

I feel like this is particularly true now that attention is money for a bunch of folks, including many in comics.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Wanderer posted:

All of these guys have the Ben Shapiro brain rot where they really want to debate their ideological opponents, and think those opponents' disinterest somehow proves they've won in some way.

It's a really broken part of today's self-parody of a society where people will just stand up with a megaphone shouting "debate me!" Dude, you have a megaphone, if you have a point you should make it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Small town Clark Kent style hero comes to the big city, not a bad guy but just chock full of learned prejudices and has to learn to overcome them and realise that a bunch of the poo poo he learned as a kid is just flat out wrong.

Also later on he realises that he's gay, or at least bi. Bam, there's your pitch.

This story is called Peacemaker. Second line is the season 2 spoiler.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Splint Chesthair posted:

I thought they already confirmed Peacemaker was bi on the show? That was one of reasons his dad said he hated him.

I don't really trust Nazis for fair characterizations of sexuality

site posted:

i mean he has a threesome with vigilante in the show so

That's fair and I should have remembered it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Solenna posted:

Jumping off this, I think Chris Pratt getting that ripped to play Starlord was a mistake. He's a goofy childish slacker and also incredibly disciplined when it comes to diet and exercise? It is hard loving work being that lean and you don't get to eat garbage and Starlord the character would totally eat a ton of junk food. Yeah yeah surprise he's not actually all the way human but it's bad visual storytelling. The script says one thing, the visuals contradict it.

Also if he was a little softer (not fat, just less lean) it would make Drax that much more insanely muscular in contrast.

It makes sense now, but at the time he really would have been Andy Dwyer in Space. Getting ripped and showing that off in the trailers created more space between the characters.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think Cameron Stewart blocked me for just a random comment about his art, which is weird because I really like his art and bought some original pieces.
Then, a while ago, I realized I hadn't seen him doing anything for a while and tried to find out why. Welp.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
That just makes me appreciate Shaun Tan more

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I admit, I thought Millar was a fake dumbass for money. I'm pretty sure he's not a Trump dumbass, and I thought was wasn't a Brexit dumbass. Being an RFK-Joe Rogan dumbass is a new and unusual type I've never encountered or really heard about.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I haven't heard of Canada having a separate union from the US, I've just heard of US projects filming in Vancouver. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no Canadian actors union, or if the US one had more Canadian members.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
IANAL, and I'm reading between some lines, but it sounds like the contacts gave WBD a lot of control over licensing, even though Willingham has ownership. This is based on my reading that WBD was involved in the Telltale license and Willingham was not getting a cut.
What does it mean to own IP but not have full control over the license? I don't know, it seems like a dumb, ugly situation. Especially odd to see someone say 'it was better when DiDio ran things'

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Sometimes I find myself wondering "Is this person extremely dumb and oblivious, or are they actively bad" and almost always the answer does not matter, the solution is just to ignore them.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Edge & Christian posted:

My old roommate had a photo on her dating profile featuring our apartment/shared bookshelves featuring a complete run of Cerebus phonebooks, and at one point started getting some messages from people who were very impressed that she'd read all 300 issues of Cerebus and I had to explain what a red flag that was. We've both since moved and the Cerebus has been moved to a lower/less prominent place of display.

Though thinking about the history of comics (and literature, and journalism, and music, and really anything) I feel like a careful scan of any photo of anyone's sufficiently media-stuffed apartment is going to display some dubious creators.

"Tell me your favorite parts of Cerebus" is a great screener question, if it works at all.
For the record, I liked Lord Julius.
E: And I only read the first few books, so I don't know if he turned to poo poo later. I'm pretty sure he died

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

I AM GRANDO posted:

And Warren Ellis is able to work professionally without having to face any consequences, other than maybe he can’t find victims as easily as he could before.

Is he still doing comics?
TBH I feel like he checked out of comics a few years before he stopped writing.

At any rate, "Don't oppress my argument with facts" is a great take, always fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
A supervillain who's plan is to get women to date Nightwing until his schedule is too full to fight crime.