Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The UK actors' union is Equity, which is not on strike and there is no restriction on their working or promoting their work. Pleasingly I've heard a few interviews with actors from British productions recently where they've taken a moment to explain this distinction and voice solidarity with SAG members / promote the strike fund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The lack of recompense (or even recognition) given to creators by Marvel Studios really is bad. It's nowhere near as serious as what's happened to Peter David, but I was listening to a podcast with Chris Hastings the other day where he mentioned that in return for the Loki series using the President Loki character and prominently using Vote Loki in the advertising he got... a mug.

I realise that when you're playing in the big company sandbox and getting to iterate on their characters you can't expect to have full control over subsequent use, but it feels like there should be some way of recognising creators when an adaptation of a story they wrote or drew goes on to make millions.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Game industry layoffs are mostly because games made bank and interest rates were low through lockdowns, and neither trend was permanent

I'm sure there are plenty of cynical execs thinking they can automate all these inconvenient workers away but the macro factors are way more influential