Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That spoilered bit is the weirdest/weakest defense I have ever seen, Jesus Christ.

Edit: Everyone is a creep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Looks like Monica Rial is a guest at Pensacon, and the Vic defenders are up in arms about that.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Do they know that theaters sell tickets at the door, and many have their own ticket websites if you want to buy online?

(This guy is clearly just riling people up for views/money)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Based on an exhaustive (5 second) Google search, Ghostbusters 2016 had a budget of $144M, and made $229M at the box office. As I understand it, something like half of that box office actually goes directly back to theaters and distribution costs. So even a film that appears widely successful can still be considered a flop at the producer/studio level due to this split.

Basing a film’s success solely on revenue is just lovely consumer capitalist thought though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Larger/more established conventions may be able to just pay a severance fee in the form of the guest’s guaranteed minimum, or perhaps less depending on the contract.

No clue what this one’s thinking. Reversals and guest announcements just a couple weeks out kinda scream “no idea what they’re doing.”

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Tucci seems like the kind of guy who watches the Purge series regularly and wishes he was right there with the purgers.

I have no words for how much Ro’s tweets are making my skin crawl.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

He passed the bar, but in his case it was under, rather than over.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Misguided attempt by anime matsuri to put a bell around the cat’s neck?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I bet TUG is going to love that Bleeding Cool put his actual name in sentence one.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Such is the corrupting power of the dark side. Also keeping stress internal can actually really gently caress you up so I’m not surprised if this ball of vitriol has gone all Palpatine.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

JordanKai posted:

Isn't D&C the plaintiff in this case? How is Mark Waid the one dragging him through court? :psyduck:

If only Big Mean Mark Waif hadn’t done what he did, then D&C wouldn’t be forced to defend himself at great cost (to GoFundMe donors).

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

That's not even slightly the same image.

It’s easy to see how someone could be fooled. They obviously moved the camera before tracing vinnie’s art.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

That's unfair, they just prefer the vastly superior comics of the 90's, like, uh

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1262565326929133568?s=19

I have taken terrible psychic damage from seeing this and other related images.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I’m seeing chatter about something fixing to go down with DC, can anyone confirm/deny?

https://twitter.com/kurtbusiek/status/1292969315327565824?s=21

I’m sharing Busiek’s tweet because there doesn’t seem to be any CONFIRMED information about specific layoffs and remark people are blowing it out of proportion.

From the replies:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/dc-comics-dc-universe-hit-by-major-layoffs-1306743

quote:

The majority of staff of the streaming service DC Universe has been laid off, as has editor-in-chief Bob Harras and multiple other executives on the publishing side.
Monday's WarnerMedia layoffs have affected a significant number of high-level figures at comic book powerhouse DC, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Among those said to be losing their positions are editor-in-chief Bob Harris, senior VP of publishing strategy and support services Hank Kanalz, VP of marketing and creative services Jonah Weiland, VP global publishing initiatives and digital strategy Bobbie Chase, senior story editor Brian Cunningham, and executive editor Mark Doyle, who oversaw the rollout of the Black Label graphic novels. Jim Lee remains the CCO.

Roughly one third of DC's editorial ranks are being laid off, according to sources.

Insiders also say the majority of the staff of the streaming service DC Universe has been laid off, a move that had been widely expected as WarnerMedia shifts its focus to new streaming service HBO Max.

"DC Universe was DOA as soon as the AT&T merger happened,” said one source.

DC Universe launched in May 2018, and is home to live-action series such as Doom Patrol, Titans and Stargirl, as well as animated offerings including Young Justice and Harley Quinn. Some of those shows have now started to stream on HBO Max.

Also a victim of the layoffs: DC Direct, the company’s in-house merchandise and collectibles manufacturer. The division has been shuttered after 22 years, another move that was rumored when Warner Bros. Consumer Products began taking a more active role in DC merchandising.

A DC spokesperson declined to comment on the changes, which come less than two weeks before the planned Aug. 22 online event DC Fandome, which is set to showcase stars from DC's film, TV and comic book worlds.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

My "favorite" bit of Liefeld art, at least of a woman, is probably his Enchantress.

Here’s a fun exercise: take a finger and cover Enchantress from the waist down. Now slowly move your finger to reveal the full body and marvel once again at how hosed up this anatomy is.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Was this written by the originator of the Oven Tweet?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah, her story has been an open secret for ages. Whedon sucks poo poo as a writer and a person.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

McCloud posted:

I think the extent of it was unknown, certainly to me.

Also another twist of the knife in that snake bastard

https://twitter.com/amber_benson/status/1359555694098190337?s=19

I remember reading stories about Whedon’s abuse of Carpenter back on Livejournal like at least 8 or 10 years ago.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Yup, NFT/crypto speculation and buy-in does use the same general manipulation strategies as MLM schemes.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I worked ops at a convention during the last year Stan was alive, and it was legitimately hard to watch him get shuffled around by his agent/manager, especially with all the news that was coming out around then.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I certainly hadn’t heard of them at all before they showed their whole rear end during this TCAF stuff.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

For real, I heard that a neonazi org in New Zealand suddenly found themselves adrift and under a lot more intense pressure when KF went down. This is a net good for the entire world. I hope that this serves as precedent for any other service that might be even vaguely considering hosting them to not do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Party Boat posted:

The lack of recompense (or even recognition) given to creators by Marvel Studios really is bad. It's nowhere near as serious as what's happened to Peter David, but I was listening to a podcast with Chris Hastings the other day where he mentioned that in return for the Loki series using the President Loki character and prominently using Vote Loki in the advertising he got... a mug.

I realise that when you're playing in the big company sandbox and getting to iterate on their characters you can't expect to have full control over subsequent use, but it feels like there should be some way of recognising creators when an adaptation of a story they wrote or drew goes on to make millions.

It’s royalties.