Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s.....not what rape is. They absolutely allude to him being a serial killer though

Ah yes. "Kidnapper and murderer of sex workers" makes the joke much funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Vincent posted:

He can also sire children, which I don't think is a thing the other aspects of Death in the DCU have done or can do.

The Endless can have children, and a couple of those children play significant roles in the comics plot.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

In a serious story, 'the mysterious mastermind is someone we've never met before' is simply an intro for an all-new member of the rogues' gallery. Whether it works or not basically depends on how compelling your new character is - done right, you get a nice kick of 'oh poo poo, this is a completely new and alien threat for the heroes to deal with, and hey, this new dude is actually pretty cool/enjoyably hateable'.

For example, if the Master Planner turns out to be Doc Ock, then he's a known quantity who Spider-Man has already fought and formulated tactics against, so revealing his identity significantly reduces his threat. If it's some brand-new criminal who's embedded himself in the New York underworld from absofuckinglutely nowhere, then that's an entirely fresh brand of scary.

Also depends on the set up. No one will care that the Master Planner is someone brand new if you don't set up their identity as a plot point or mystery to be solved.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Am I missing something? Because that just looks like a skinny old man's back. I mean, congrats for not being overweight, I guess, but there's nothing there to indicate he's any more or less in shape than the actor playing Namor.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 30, 2022

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Would love to hear a a lawyer's take on this, but would be very funny if it works as Willingham lays it out here.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Apparently Millar interviewed a comic shop owner, Glen O'Leary. Supposedly the guy put out a video complaining about modern writers "writing themselves into the comics instead of writing the characters". That said, all I could find of the guy seems to be in the chud sphere of comics, most of which I don't want to give further traffic to learn more.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I clicked the link so you wouldn't have to. Just garbage people talking up other garbage people. And an odd amount of people posting what they consider to be bad art in a discussion about writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Seems like every successful story I've heard has required either them coming into personal, face to face contact with something that contradicts what they are being fed, or being threatened with losing loved ones. Or using parental controls to block access to Fox news, ironically enough. Of course, none of these are full proof.