Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Something I think is interesting is comparing Comicsgate and Gamergate to the attempts in the last year or so to get a Tabletopgate going.

Tabletop gaming absolutely has a problem with lovely nerds, serial harassers, and bigots but any attempt to try and get an organized movement going like CG and GG has been immediately stamped out by people in the TRPG online community. The audience is theoretically there and god knows there's been issues lately (the new White Wolf being ran by a fascist, the large portion of WH40k fandom unironically into the Imperium's ideology, sexual harassment at Pathfinder Society events), but the community as a whole wasn't having it. Hell the last attempt to make a D&DGate hashtag was immediately hijacked by people talking about their favorite gates from fantasy artwork.

And I feel like a lot of that has to do with the general reaction to Gamergate and Comicsgate which was "ignore them and they'll go away". They didn't. It just emboldened them to be louder and worse and websites started reporting them like they're a valid movement - see Bleeding Cool's incredibly soft-handed approach to EVS about a year before everything blew up - and not people to be told to immediately shut the gently caress up.

Basically I think it's up to people in nerd communities to clean their own house, and comics were pretty loving bad about it. Now we've got this. And this isn't forever. The energy will always taper off or go to other places (just hopefully not "ruining the rest of the world" like GG did) but it should make people be more vigilant from now on.

It's also that the TG community is based around a hobby that's mostly about being face to face with people and playing games (okay, and also online, but still, mostly in person), and nobody wants to play with toxic shitheads in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I like how the left has to pass all these tests and be perfect in its message, while the Nazi poster boys are literally diaper wearing morons that can barely string two words together but their message is "on point."

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I mean these ''classes'' are just a bunch of videos it's not like Gaiman is coming to your house to give you feedback on your writing.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

There's something weird about him sharing their GoFundMes, I agree. ''Give this person money so they can give me their money.'' It's like a roundabout way of asking for money, if you know what I mean.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Yikes

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

There's kind of a ''Sci-fi Gate'' going on too, with the Sad Puppies fixing Hugo Award ballots and brigading and poo poo.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I wish Twitter told you like ''We banned this dude and it was your report specifically that made this happen,'' because I get a huge boner whenever one of these chuds get banned.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The two novels he wrote also feature a protagonist like that. They both have a hot assistant that they have/had sex with.