Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

That's a shocker, didn't know they were having issues. They appeared to have done well for themselves in the last number of years. This has me wondering if the TF and Joe license getting yanked had more to due to Hasbro knowing about poo poo we didn't behind the scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/CanWeGetToast/s...%5Es1_&ref_url=

It was what everyone guessed, MARVELOUS.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
So, huh...

https://twitter.com/mrmarkmillar/status/1674304172869427200
https://twitter.com/mrmarkmillar/status/1674305954626584576

Has he always been like this?

Cause da fck

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Squidster posted:

Millar, the exploding incest womb guy, a weirdo chud? The guy whose entire oeuvre consists of "cruelty is rad" has bad takes? Unthinkable!

I know, I know.

It still has caught a lot of people off guard that he's saying this.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Is there some sort of time line between EVS going from artist on Green Lantern and happily married to what he is now?

Quite curious to see how everything went south so badly or what events led to one another.

Was he also the reason the clolorist on GL got kicked off? The guy use to go by Moose. I know he definitely didn't go willingly, never knew the exact details.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
For those that missed it, DC already put out a release saying, nope.

quote:

The Fables comic books and graphic novels published by DC, and the storylines, characters and elements therein, are owned by DC and protected under the copyright laws of the United States and throughout the world in accordance with applicable law, and are not in the public domain. DC reserves all rights and will take such action as DC deems necessary or appropriate to protect its intellectual property rights.

Good luck to anyone that tries to publish Fable stuff.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Seeing some go Chud is kinda crazy, especially when they wrote something like this:

Happened around the time of Bush and Iraq.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

As a non American I would say this is far more problematic example of a f'ed up medical system and how it works.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

How many fingers do the characters get to have.

Answer, as many as they want!

You know the paneling is going to be a poo poo show.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Quietly should be the key word of that.

You know they're going to continue to explore the use of AI.

Pretty much everyone is. I'm absolutely sure it's why there has been so many lay offs in the game industry lately.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Fairly sure the Alex guy is a traditional artist. Feel free to correct me if otherwise.

The company is known for not paying talent.

Not the first time it's been said, been happening long before AI.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Ethan Van Sciver. Before I knew what a neo-Nazi adjacent POS he was, I met him once at an Orlando MegaCon and had him sign the Green Lantern issue he drew where the Tattooed Man killed a guy Geoff Johns named after me (from when I posted on Geoff's old message boards 20 years ago).

I don't even have that comic anymore.

Oh shoot, you were there?

We probably interacted way back when on that forum.

It's crazy isn't it how EVS was back then and what we know him as now. Who could have ever imagined things would end up the way they have.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

I had a bad feeling even back around 2004, when Green Lantern was DC's hottest book that made Johns and Van Sciver into A-list superstars. Back then, Van Sciver's now ex-wife Sharis was a prolific poster on Johns' message boards, and I always remember how she once interjected into some random, unrelated conversation that she wanted to hold up Phyllis Schafly, of all people, as a strong female role model for her kids. That was so odd and off-putting, I never forgot it. Was she the person who put Ethan on his path to the far right?

Then there was a convention where Van Sciver and Mark Waid teamed up to confront and publicly discredit Rob Granito, an artist who was an infamous, shameless swiper and tracer of other, better-known artists. I forgot who called them this -- possibly Ethan himself -- but whoever it was said something about the biggest bleeding heart liberal in comics and a guy who is practically a Nazi finding common ground in calling out this talentless hack and thief.

I had no clue about Sharis, and I definitely remember her. I spoke with her a few times on the forum itself. She always came off nice and quiet. I figured she was the dutiful wife watching her husband succeed at the time, had no clue about her view points. When Ethan really started to go off the rails one of the first things I thought was that, she must be stuck in a horrible relationship and hoped she was able to get free of it. If it turns out she was the cause of Ethan going down that rabbit hole, that's a twist I didn't see coming.

I did know Ethan was a supporter of the right, not sure why but I definitely got that impression at the time. I’m fairly sure he went to the staff once to complain about someone’s view point about something that was going on. I can’t recall what. I do remember people were always uncomfortable with Sinestro’s look, it resembled you know who and he confirmed it was based off him. That was always off putting, if only we knew what was to come.

The situation about the artist that was selling copies of famous artist work and signing them as himself was such a mess. What caused the whole confrontation was someone had passed, Mike Wieringo? Might have been someone else. And the guy had ripped off his artwork, had signed and was selling it as his own at cons. It was a step too far at the time and the whole event unfolded.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 25, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dawgstar posted:

It was Waid:

Dwayne!

Wieringo had died much earlier didn't he.

It stinks to see such talent pass.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Phyllis Schafly AND Ann Coulter! I just remembered the second name she dropped.

With all the Boomers still working in comics, I have a feeling we are going to get more sad news every year moving forward. I think the ones that hit me the hardest were Darwyn Cooke, George Perez, and Keith Giffen. I feel so lucky I got to meet all of them at cons and tell them how much their work has meant to me.

YES! Thank you! I remember reading that exact thing, just forgot some key details, like who wrote it.

Ugh.

What a pair.

Definitely says a lot about the person. Unfortunately so. Yet they still ended up divorced? EVS might have went too crazy enough for her.

You are fortunate to have met so much generational talent. Some of the greats. All one can do is thank them when given the chance for all they've done and you have done so.

That's something to cherish.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 25, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Considering what he wrote as the title for his book, yeah he's definitely a fan.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Some screenshots of FB coming in confirming that Ed has passed. Won’t post here because they’re private family FBs. Goddamit, Ed. I wish it hadn’t gone this way.

Considering how people love to fake poo poo and it's April 1st, it's best to wait until proper confirmation is given.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's why confirmation is important.

Until it's gotten, truly gotten. I'd take anything said and done with a huge grain of salt.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Well, looks like we have it.

https://twitter.com/ctropes/status/1774891424364040250?t=4X5dnm4u9uH0mUIl0ZANrg

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
This is going to be an absolute poo poo show.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Happy Hippo posted:

I've not read the entire Piskor resignation letter but from what little of it that's been quoted elsewhere it seems like Ed went out doing as much damage as possible so yeah, I bet he'd have outed Dorkin if he had anything on him.

Didn't read the letter but based on what people have said and recounted of it, the whole thing came off as a final "FU, I hope you get yours for causing me this grief" letter.

Piskor knew what he was doing saying the names he did. He knew what would happen. Like the rest of what he did, he refused to accept the consequences for his actions to the very end and made sure to toss some gasoline onto the pile before removing himself.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Grooming.

It's grooming.

He was grooming under age kids.

That poo poo ain't right, never has been.

Never will be.

And he was a bad person for doing it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Why did he take that final step?

He knew what he did.
He knew there was evidence out there of it.
He knew his reputation was going to be ruined over it.
He likely had already started to experience friendships, business offers and more suddenly go away.
It was going to get worse.

He couldn't handle that.
Especially if there is more that we don't know about.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If it lingers in someones mind or someone new learns about it that's all it takes.

Hateful people will always find something new to rage about, even if the reason is years old.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Am I the only one who likes Nightwing with either Barbs or Starfire?

I prefer Barbs as Oracle and it appears they're moving more and more back towards that.

She really made a legacy and impact as that character. Especially for people in wheelchairs who came to view her as someone to aspire to be like.

Barbs might have been put in a chair, but it didn't limit her. She was strong, capable and handled more than one person that thought her defenseless.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

site posted:

Only one solution: throuple

I'll allow it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
How to beat Nightwing

Introduce him to women.
Set him up with multiple women.
Make each one believe he has a date with them.
Make it so the date is at the same place at the same time.
Allow them to discover he has a date with each while waiting for him.
Arrange for him to show up at the location soon after.
Profit!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

RevKrule posted:

Starting to watch Jimmy Palmioti retweet a bunch of alt right and comicsgate creator projects and I'm not sure if it's ignorance on the subject or a changing of ideals. I'm really too exhausted at this point to figure out which. He's always seemed center lib which seems like a ripe place for cg'ers to pull from.

Is there any more news on this?

Considering he tends to collab on several books with people, usually his wife Amanda Connor this could go quite bad.

They tend to get successful work, and they have not been blacklisted up until this point so it's not like they need to deal with these people or support them.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Studies have proven that to be true.

You can try to educate them and show them actual evidence and they'll only get worse from it.

It kinda explains a lot for the current state of the world.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

isasphere posted:

That is very interesting! Has anyone found a method that works, then? Or does it take like, an actual full-on cult deprogramming treatment?

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much you can do.

There are tons of stories out there of family trying to help one member who went down the rabbit hole. But what can you do? As soon as you lay off them they're watching and listening to the same old things and any positive change goes out the window. And that's if they even listen to you. Most won't.

The most you can really do is call out their BS when they say it and give some tough love and hope somehow it gets through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Train AI on Greg Land and it'll merely put it in the original photos he used to trace instead.