Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Principal Hellmann posted:

they pretend she's trans just so they can trash her even more.

comicsgate is full of lovely dickbags.

Hm, is there a different phrase for misgendering someone as trans when they aren't? Or the same phraseology?

I mean, the accuser is obviously transphobic either way, just rarely had the occasion to consider what is respective when someone is called trans who isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

Civil War comes to mind as the most embarrassing and salient example of Millar's whole schtick that actual political action is dangerous and naive. He likes the razzle-dazzle and spectacle of asking "what if superheroes actually tried to fix systemic problems in the world," but how often does he have them decide they were wrong, or wind up as tyrants and monsters? His whole thing is reactionary-- "the world's nastiness and brutality is fixed, so just wallow in it."

I was thinking earlier today about how a lot of the transgressive sort of shock comics of the last 30-40 years have had a similar conservative bent, that was covered up to varying degrees by the frisson of stylistic excess and "rawness". Johnny Ryan was largely who I had in mind,

Late, but at least on topic!: has Ryan come out with anything specifically political, beyond the conservative implications of generalised nihilism and misanthropy (and kicking-downwards) that was always in his comics?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

Not that I know, but I think the kind of strident, self-indulgently juvenile thing he does in stuff like Angry Youth Comix is sort of a dead end for saying anything meaningful or interesting. It's an exercise in getting away with stuff that I think is a variation of the same impulse behind the more avowedly "apolitical" of the young men drawn to the Proud Boys, a sort of similar decision or desire to react to anomie by just being a prick to people in a worse position than yourself.

I don't want to sound like too much of a Puritan or whatever although I know by inclination and education I have that bad and often reductive habit of wanting to subject the art I encounter to some sort of ideological sniff-test-- I think some of Ivan Brunetti's gag stuff has similar tendencies but by and large I like him and think he's a good cartoonist, and, like, I watched the recent Mike Diana documentary with, more or less, my sympathies with Diana.

I guess part of it is just-- you know-- I think we are in a moment of cultural turbulence where there's a pretty clear line that you have to end up on one side of, and it's increasingly difficult to look at a successful straight male artist calling predicating his aesthetics on calling people retards and faggots well into the early autumn of his career as being on the same side of it as me. Do something better. The other part is (and I feel hypocritical a bit after going after whoever it was for making similar claims about Felicia Day) I just don't like his schtick and so I'm not that inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt. Prison Planet was fine I guess but what's it doing that half a dozen Fort Thunder guys weren't doing in way that was more exciting and appealing (imo)?

So-- I guess basically I mentioned him as an aesthetic evaluation rather than as alluding to anything he did in his personal life.

Well, I think that makes sense. Now I want to try and find the posts about him they did on the Hooded Utilitarian - I recall there were some fairly lengthy debates in the comments regarding the merits of the shock jock comixxx style.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

site posted:

i continually hate that mags is The Trans Creator because shes problematic as gently caress

Did you have any details on this? Seemed like it could be thread relevant.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Don't think I ever saw this posted here:

im on the net me boys posted:

I don't know if this already got brought up, but a guy who used to work on Batman started a QAnon comic book

After all, there are always other right-wing conspiracy theories beyond CG that will continue to fester even after EVS finally absconds with the last Kickstarter dollars... Anyone know anything about this particular comic?

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 25, 2019

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

they've talked about this and apparently nobody was really paying attention when they were creating gatherer

and the artist hasnt worked there in almost 20 years so i think its safe to say this is a one off

That artist is a straight up nazi, of the "paintings of the beatific vision of Hitler variety", so hopefully!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

That artist is a straight up nazi, of the "paintings of the beatific vision of Hitler variety", so hopefully!

Alright, finally found the relevant post, was in the Fascists in Trad Gaming thread. No really relevant for comics so will hence shut up about it:

moths posted:

MtG artist Harold McNeill is probably best known for Invoke Prejudice:

Yikes, is that the Klan?

But he's also done Lightning Blow:

Which looks a little Sig rune-y, but

Uhh...

:godwinning:

(Huh, hadn't noticed before the Lighting Strike General is called The Arctic Fox...)

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 2, 2019

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

There's the time he was afraid former BSS mod David Brothers was going to beat him up, which was doubly weird because there wasn't any threats or anything beyond saying "maybe white dudes shouldn't be so comfortable with saying slurs."

Does he still write about comics? I remember some of my comments on his blog getting deleted for being insufficiently funny (literally a decade ago, lol), but I still liked his comic commentary more than most equivalent commentators on the web

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

I did know Ethan was a supporter of the right, not sure why but I definitely got that impression at the time. I’m fairly sure he went to the staff once to complain about someone’s view point about something that was going on. I can’t recall what. I do remember people were always uncomfortable with Sinestro’s look, it resembled you know who and he confirmed it was based off him. That was always off putting, if only we knew what was to come.

...Hitler? I thought he was supposed to be Chaplin Vincent Price