Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gynovore posted:

So the banning process isn't automatic? It has to be ratified by a majority vote of the Council of Elders or something?

I'm not a mod but as I understand it mods can freely hand out sixers all they want but anything more than that has to be approved by an admin, I guess to keep someone from going power crazy and banning everyone in [INSERT SUBFORUM HERE].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

One of the things that you saw in the last thread was Death Ray’s argument that by failing to engage people in conversation you lose out the chance to influence them. I think we can all agree that for Death Ray and guys like that this is a bad faith argument. Engaging them gives them credibility because they are actually in the conversation. They aren’t worth engaging.

I mean people did engage him in conversation, is the thing. He then decided that rather than have a conversation he'd rather play Rumplestiltskin and make people guess his true argument all the while acting like a smarmy rear end in a top hat when they inevitably very quickly got tired of his bizarre and insufferable attitude. You're 100% right about it not being worth engaging further than that though.

Jordan7hm posted:

That said, and this is probably bigger than comics, I really want to figure out how to engage people in real life on stuff like this. The number of intelligent and genuinely good people I know who fall for poo poo like Jordan Peterson is really disheartening. I think these people do need to be engaged, if only to point them in the direction of good arguments to the contrary.

As pessimistic as it's going to sound, I'm not sure there's a way to reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place. The idea that you can counter illogic with the proper application of logic (and of course decorum, can't forget that) doesn't seem actually tenable. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many conspiracy theorists out there, and a lot of the far right (which includes comicsgate) is increasingly forming a perfect overlapping circle with conspiracy theory mentality, at least among those who aren't just cynically milking the movement for cash while they can.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Wanderer posted:

The good news, such as it is, is that there are no smooth media operators behind a typical -gate. Gamergate in particular did a lot of damage, but most of its leaders have either vanished into clouds of failure or are in the process of doing so, and its two primary targets, Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn, got more successful. (I'm sure they'd prefer to have attained fame some other way, of course, but I still think it's funny; an entire international social-media organization that had a major goal in getting Sarkeesian to shut up and go away actually resulted in her addressing the United Nations.)

Part of the reason gamergate in particular was able to be as damaging as it was, by the way, is because when it cropped up the broader response to it was a mixture of trying to engage them as if they were a legitimate movement or simply ignoring them and hoping they'd go away, and that lackluster response was what simultaneously gave them the veneer of legitimacy they craved and allowed them to fling poo poo everywhere for as long as they did without repercussion. One big difference between that and comicsgate is that the response to comicsgate has been much more of an unequivocal "gently caress off" not just from people in the audience but from companies and creators as well. Nobody's wasting nearly as much time trying to win debates with these guys in the Marketplace of Ideas because nobody's buying the transparently false "it's all about quality in comics!" line of bullshit, nor should they.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lunatic Sledge posted:

TL;DR: some people are just ill informed and if you approach it carefully, and show them the things they haven't seen yet, there might be hope. Other people are nazis, gently caress dialogue, punch nazis. Or ban them. If people are just playing to rile up emotions or they're using poo poo to smokescreen their real intentions then they're not owed a microphone, a stage, or your time. slight edit: when I say don't have these arguments in public, I don't mean you should be afraid to just straight up disavow people regardless of time or place, I just mean if you're interested in having an actual conversation and genuinely debating the facts to try and sway them, don't let them turn it into a theatrical production. If you're just telling someone to gently caress off you can do that pretty much whenever feels right

And this ties back into something brought up in the previous incarnation of this thread which is that it's fuckin exhausting to constantly be told "well maybe you should try ~engaging in a dialogue~ instead of just telling them to gently caress off and calling them Nazis!" in regards to an endless parade of shitheads who aren't in it to have a good-faith argument in the first place, particularly when you're one of the sorts of people frequently bearing the brunt of their bullshit. There is no One Weird Trick that'll totally own comicsgate and make everyone stand up and clap if only people would hold their nose long enough to put it into practice, and they don't deserve the effort. It isn't the civic responsibility of every well-adjusted person in the world to act as unpaid therapists and counselors for a gaggle of broke-brained nerds mad about women and minorities.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Pretty much this, yeah. It's hard to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em--a lot of my family is a backwoods southern kind of lovely, and I spent many years of my life thinking I could just talk them out of it. They don't want to be talked out of it. They will not let me talk them out of it. In that situation, there is no use trying to talk someone out of it. It's needless stress and wasted effort. Some people just refuse to change, and a significant number of those people post on the internet.

Like, I get the sentiment, because it sucks to just throw your hands up and go "well I guess my mom's a loving racist forever" but you don't do yourself or anyone else any favors fighting an unwinnable battle. Save it for someone that wants to know better.

Oh for sure, and that sucks, but it isn't even close family members a lot of the time, it's Random Anime Avatar Twitter Poster #8338499-J who thinks it's the height of wit to use an acrostic to call Gail Simone a lightless void sucking the decency out of comics, but for some reason simply responding to people like that with "gently caress off" brings the finger-wag brigade out to bemoan how disorganized things are and if only they'd listen to someone more enlightened such as themselves comicsgate would be but a memory. Nobody should have to be the remotest bit polite to those idiots and I have 0% concern if they get called every combination of swear-words on the planet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I don't want to have to go back in time and explain to my younger self that David Duke has a god drat twitter account where he says the kind of thing you expect David Duke to say on twitter and nobody stops him. All these "ethics in _____" gimmicks are just smokescreens for old fashioned shittiness and I'm glad the comics industry is starting to call it for what it is. Too many people fell for previous -gates, nobody should be making that mistake again.

When I was younger I always used to hear the argument "oh you shouldn't try and silence people just because they have abhorrent views, it's better to have them out in the open where everyone can see them and confront them, otherwise they'll go off and congregate in private and get worse" and well, we now know what that looks like and it looks like a bunch of far-right assholes openly being assholes on the world stage for all to see and thus far they've yet to be blasted off the face of the earth by a laser forged from pure logic and clever discourse, and I strongly suspect that there may be a fatal flaw with the idea that all opinions and viewpoints should have equal airtime.

I stand by what I said in the last thread before Jason Yungbluth decided it meant I was a shill for Big Brother, but the thing which hurts these sorts more than anything is to get cut off from their soapboxes and grifts. Vox Day losing his IndieGoGo is great the same way Alex Jones being excised from every major social media platform in the world is great the same way Stormfront being dropped by their ISPs is great, not because I expect the invisible hand of the free market to save the day out of the goodness of its heart but because it seems fairly evident that being cut off from both funding and the means to easily recruit and radicalize others has a tangible impact on the ability of people and groups like this to remain prominent and empowered. Ignoring Yungbluth's lovely political cartoon, Milo is a good example of this in action as at one point he was a darling boy of the alt-right and now he spends his time on Facebook whining that nobody's returning his calls.

It's unfortunate that there isn't really a lot the average person on the ground can really do to facilitate this process, the guy who runs Twitter has been told about the problems with his platform by plenty of folks for years and years and hardly anything's been done to address it in any meaningful sense. Publicly debating them doesn't really seem to have a lot of impact. Insulting them, while similarly unimpactful, is at least an understandable response to someone spewing a non-stop torrent of bullshit in your direction.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fritz posted:

I think the 'rpg horror stories' thread is long-since gassed and banned, but I think one lesson from it was maybe nobody wants to play with those jerks, but a whole lot of people do anyway.

The Geek Social Fallacies is 15 years old. As much of a tabletop nerd as I am it's pretty incorrect to say that tabletop gaming doesn't have a shithead problem because of the face-to-face aspect, though I will venture that it's probably gotten better nowadays in a general sense even if there are still lovely people involved at various levels (from players to creators). More games these days include sections on things like handling potentially problematic content at the table and giving groups clear guidelines on how to say "yeah actually I'm not really comfortable with this" and while some people have criticized the recent trend of popular podcast/recorded RPG sessions for one reason or another, at the very least they've done a lot to push an impression of what a cool gaming session looks like that doesn't involve Bob the GM having Janet's sorceress get gangraped by orcs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah that’s my guess. This whole thing is pretty much win win for him; if he backs down, Waid once again bullied him and used his wealth and industry friends to do it, and Dickie is the brave underdog who did his best and anyways here’s the new indiegogo campaign please give Dickie more money to own the libs.

It’s possible he’s dumb enough to try and ride this out and actually does manage to ride this out long enough to ruin himself, but I’m betting that his plan was to drum up support and the success of Waid’s campaign is just going to galvanize the chuds on the other side.

Yeah but the thing is these people will spin absolutely 100% anything as a win for them, that's just a given. Whether it's actually a win is a different story.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

rkajdi posted:

Oh yeah, he's that guy. I think he got angry at me for suggesting no platforming last time too. I forgot what his thing was, and the very odd art he just posted made my brain hurt a bit.

He thinks that deplatforming is waiting for "Big Brother" to solve all the world's problems, yet he seems to be perfectly fine holding up Vox Day's indiegogo project getting cancelled as a huge victory (for which he positions himself as the spearhead, naturally) so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess his thing is being a dumb rear end in a top hat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

I thought "trap" was slang for prostitute/hooking. Am I misremembering that amazing twitter thread that is being made into movie?

"Trap" in this context arose from 4chan (naturally) where people would post pictures of androgynous anime characters and try to bait people into admitting they thought the girl in the picture was cute only to go "haha that's actually a guy," and in response people would post the Admiral Akbar "it's a trap" meme.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Remember after Roseanne got taken off the air and conservatives were threatening to get Bill Maher taken off the air in revenge and everyone was like "two for one deal, yes please."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

site posted:

If only they managed to actually do it

Well we live in the worst timeline so you can't expect too many good things to happen, but it was still nice of them to offer.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Captain Rufus posted:

Maher hates a lot of harmless stupid poo poo for idiotic reasons. And it seems things not aimed directly at adults being enjoyed by adults are one of his big rage ons. Like he seems legit mad at adults reading YA type books or anything online as its not REAL READING. Also he hates the current superhero movie trend because OMG CHILDISH. Also rages about milk but loves his weed not exactly seeing the hypocrisy there.

I listen to the podcast version of his show and he is seriously an old with many progressive views for his age. His Catholic upbringing clearly hosed him up bigtime and he bought into a lot of the late Boomer era bullshit about what adults are supposed to do as adults not seeing the disconnect with stuff he does that many folks his age would consider bad. Like most people it's clear he has WHAT I LIKE GOOD WHAT YOU LIKE BAD EVEN IF REALLY THE SAME THING.

He is no rightie by any measure outside of hard left loonie circlejerks like SA seems to be turning into. By "normal" US standards he is closer to a leftist boogeyman out to take your guns and let the browns in the nation to have gay anchor babies. (In reality he is a stereotypical liberal elitist more or less. Just one that will actually listen to other viewpoints outside of some of his stupid hang ups. And Trump tried or actually did sue him for mean words. Maher also gave a ton of money to the Obama campaign making him more politically effective than this entire forum more or less. How good that was given why the Orange Idiot is rumored to have run and if we want to count whatever 4chan did as political change through SA is a whole other thing.)

But it's not cool to rag on a dead old guy who helped create tons of stuff people love because you think adults and current culture in general should all be reading deep snooty books and watching oscarbait. Not cool at all.

Bill Maher sucks and so do you.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Archyduke posted:

I don't know what kind of response you expect to this kind of thing, but perhaps you should reflect on every other time you've come into this thread and its predecessor, and why it plays out the same way each time.

I'm going to guess the answer is terminal brain problems.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
People on the right think Bill Maher represents the left because people on the right are complete loving morons.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm also admittedly scratching my head at the idea that Something Awful is some bastion of radical leftism, presumably because of all the Gritty memes in PYF and the fact that you can get probated for calling people "retards" I guess. Sentiments like "comicsgate sucks" and "people on the internet are way lovely to women and minorities, including those involved in creative fields like comics" is pretty regular garden-variety leftism of the "water is wet" variety.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I just want to say I appreciate this post even though I'm sure it's going to sail right over Captain Rufus' head.

X-O posted:

Even the smallest of Stan Lee’s creations will be remembered decades even after I die. Nobody will give a poo poo about anything Maher has ever done years before he’s gone. If they even care now.

Like I said earlier, the only people who really give a poo poo about Bill Maher are far-right assholes who think he somehow represents the left the way various pundits are cheerleaders for the right, even though I've never once encountered anyone who could be described as leftist who think Maher is anything but a dumb rear end in a top hat with lovely, regressive opinions. At this point if conservatives really did campaign to get Maher taken off the air it would be the first truly bipartisan thing to happen in America in decades.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Captain Rufus posted:

But I will be honest and say I came here to SA in the mid 00s because RPGnet was becoming annoyingly hard left

Oh my fuckin god you're one of those people.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
RPGnet: Stop using "retarded" as a pejorative and don't shove your way into a thread where women or minorities are giving their take on something to make the discussion all about you, thanks.

Every dumb rear end in a top hat who couldn't handle these very simple concepts and flamed out: Ugh, nice to see the far-left Orwellian thought-police can't handle a differing viewpoint, I'm out of here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the problem is that "actually, no, queer people shouldn't be put to death" isn't what those people are hearing, because our messaging loving sucks.

the only leftists your average nerdo is likely to see outside of explicitly leftist spaces, because of the magic of algorithms and propaganda, are the legit unhinged ones saying things like "all the non-black people who died in 9/11 deserved it" and "people should be tortured to death in gulags for having TVs." because the right actively seeks that poo poo out and spams it everywhere as "proof" that the left are the real enemy, despite the nutty folks being generally a pretty tiny minority of the left. and then, because right-wingers really like masking themselves as "apolitical," social media algorithms spread that poo poo way, way wider than stuff that's explicitly noted as political content.

Yes but nobody here on Something Awful or on RPGnet are saying things like this (okay I'm sure some people on SA are unironically calling for gulags since D&D seems to collect tankies like some people collect exotic fish but it mainly seems to be to laugh at them) and idiots like Captain Rufus still declare these places to be full of hard left loony tumblristas whatever the gently caress pushing him away. The problem that people like Captain Rufus and Jason Yungbluth don't seem to get is people in this thread aren't calling them assholes because they're insufficiently woke or haven't taken the sacred oath of ideological purity, it's because they're assholes. Not liking comicsgate doesn't mean you can't also be a dumb, unlikable rear end in a top hat in other ways, and nobody here is obliged to bend over backwards to accommodate some broke-brained dipshit who shows up here to vomit word salad screeds about how all us loony leftists are mean to him.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Scott Kurtz has always been an extremely bitter person that his webcomic about video games never became the massive success he clearly expected it to be and he's never been shy about lashing out at perceived slights so it sounds pretty believable to me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Four days from account creation to being kicked out of an entire subforum probably isn't a new SA record but it's certainly something.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Viridiant posted:

I feel like ideologies like "Let the marketplace of ideas exist unrestricted" is ignoring basically the entire purpose, history and effectiveness of propaganda and advertising. Humans have become very good at marketing lies and while information becoming more accessible has changed this in some positive ways, it has also made harmful ideals easier to propagate.

A free marketplace of ideas would only be feasible in an environment where everyone was acting in good faith and that is not, has never been, and will never be the case.

It's not even a truly free and unrestricted marketplace as site pointed out earlier. Twitter has happily banned people for telling Nazis to gently caress off while actual Nazis are free to use their platform. I mean poo poo, to bring this back around to comics look at how groups like comicsgate are able to act like complete shitheads for basically ever without repercussion.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Archyduchess posted:

Who is Dare and if that was a Death Ray chessmaster scheme what on earth was the point. I don't mind explaining the same thing to people ad nauseum, even if I suspect I'm rising to somebody's bait, because whatever, I'm used to it, but on his end, like, he wasn't even stirring the pot in a provocative way, he was just doing the same dance steps we've all surely seen a thousand times across the internet. Like, why bother.

I mean I'd rather spend the ten bucks on a burrito and something to drink but maybe they don't have a good burrito joint nearby.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can believe that people are that idealistic (or naive) but someone being a longtime SA lurker who drops ten bucks in 2018 to lead off their posting career with Hot Takes 101 doesn't really get the benefit of the doubt imo, like Lunatic Sledge said. I mean hell, this sort of thing is a trajectory that probably everyone in this thread has more or less undergone to some degree at some point in their lives, but these days you have to be a lot more willfully obtuse or just an outright rear end in a top hat to still be clinging to this sort of "everyone's opinion is equally valid and deserving of equal respect" glurge.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That guy's so mad about people calling him on his poo poo, and it's really weird because (and correct me if I'm wrong) all he had to do was say "Chapterhouse is accepting open submissions for new creators, send us a sample and if you're what we're looking for we'll hire you" and that would be fine but instead he had to try to turn it into some sort of contest with the "grand prize" of not even being paid until people shamed him into it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/CBCebulski/status/1087926820765339648

Don't mind me, Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics Akira Yoshida, I'm just out here taking to Twitter to passive-aggressively poo poo on my employees for no reason.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean I brought up that Marvel tweet making GBS threads on inkers not because there's anything specifically chudish about it (so far as I know) but because it's absolutely mind-boggling to me that Marvel's, EiC, a guy who got promoted into his gig after it came out that he spent a goodly length of time misrepresenting himself as a Japanese man to try and give his lovely comics a veneer of Real Oriental Authenticity, is publicly negging his own employees as some convoluted, roundabout way to encourage people to apply to work at Marvel. It has nothing to do with the usual alt-right harassment brigades which have become dismally commonplace but it still qualifies as industry terribleness imo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

That's a famous meme image in chan circles, it doesn't mean much other than they hang out on disgusting message boards.

Of course there's also this:

https://twitter.com/DrWifeQuotes/status/1110391154892328960

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not gonna lie, if you'd told me 15 years ago that the Sinfest guy was going to take a hard turn into being a full on TERF (after explaining to 15 year younger me what a TERF was) I absolutely would not have believed it. The dude making a mostly harmless dudebro-y three panel strip starring Calvin by way of Johnny Bravo creating glorious full-color paeans to blatant transphobia is one of those things that's never not going to give me a moment of vertigo as I realize the world really is a lot dumber than I give it credit for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You can say gently caress on something awful