Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah I was kidding when I called him a cheapskate.
Hilarious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alaois posted:

Super researchers of BSS, when did the term "cheesecake" to refer to sexualized art of women come into use in the comics fandom, or just the general world at large? Because that's the word I tend to associate with what anime/manga fans refer to as "fan service".
According to https://www.dictionary.com/browse/cheesecake?s=t?s=t it was the 1930s. Sexy pinup images have been called "cheesecake" for a long long while.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Covok posted:

How can you not believe in germ theory? What is literally the alternative? Little gremlins living in your blood making you sick at irregular internals to reach a sickness quota to appease Nurgle, God of chaos, decay, and disease?
Foul miasmas and imbalances of the four humours.

Maher is also the last man alive who thinks hanging out at the Playboy Mansion is a cool and awesome thing to do (and not seedy or creepy).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

GPTribefan posted:

see how hosed up the mid 90s were.
The mid-90s was also the era of mass-market "Lad's Mags" (with Maxim leading the pack, followed by Stuff and the like), so it wasn't just comics.

Wizard's fratty "heh heh check out her b00bs" vibe was pretty much of a piece with general pop culture.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Retro Futurist posted:

Kirby would have smacked the poo poo out of every single one of them.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Archyduchess posted:

They're stupid and cowardly and since everything they can conceptualize is the warm backwash of mainstream ideology the only ways they can think of exerting any kind of agency are either buying something or shooting something.
They're so brain poisoned by late capitalism that they can only imagine taking action in the context of consuming and merchandise and brands.

I will perform an act of ritual consumption, exchanging money for some mass-produced toy with a particular media branding on it, but instead of playing with it or enjoying it I will destroy it. This will really show those people I just gave my money to.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Regarding Jorp:

https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/1058359188278120448?lang=en

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Literally all right wing attacks are projection.
Their every accusation is a confession.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Archyduchess posted:

Imagine if Mr. Zsasz was in Sugar Ray.
Wow.

WOW.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Unlucky7 posted:

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have always wondered if there was a name for the type of double think that exists in most Us vs Them narratives like GooberGrate and other similar collectives; That portrays Them as shadowy, ultracompetent, and all powerful, but also obvious, incompetent, and ineffective that Us, the Genius Goodbrain Underdogs, can easily undercut Them (Until, of course they can't).
We even have an emoticon for it

:umberto:

It's from Umberto Eco's famous essay on the traits of fascism, a key one of which is portraying one's enemies as simultaneously stupid and weak and hapless AND vicious and cunning and powerful. “Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TrekBek posted:

apparently, blackface lawyer makes 50k a year at his practice.

he is not a good lawyer.
Seven years of schooling, six-figure student loan debt, specialized testing and certification - all to make roughly what a level one help desk tech would earn.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dawgstar posted:

Don't forget whatever he has to pay in rent on his office and state/federal taxes!
Ongoing ABA fees and continuing education spending, too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nessus posted:

It is almost drearily predictable how every single thing they accuse others of, they do themselves.
Their every accusation is a confession.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lurdiak posted:

Jack Kirby has literally killed Nazis and bragged about it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Man, just think of how much better Kirby's art would have been if he'd cross-hatched ten thousand tiny lines in every panel.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SoftNum posted:

How is this possible? Have they not read Gaiman/Pratchett?
These are the same people who whined about how ST:Discovery ruined Star Trek by being full of political correctness and SJW messages.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

X-O posted:

"I messed up, please come work for me for free so people will stop being mean to me on the internet"
Imaging taking her up on that offer, sending in editorial criticism in good faith, and getting back a pile of explaining about how "no, you're reading it all wrong, here's what I am trying to say, it's clear to me that you have an agenda, etc"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

X-O posted:

I mean we always knew he was a piece of poo poo, but this right here proves he was a sociopathic monster.
His father is a noted child murderer.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

If you aren't extremely online it's easy for the gaters to frame things in a way that makes them look like victims. There was some writer who when they first heard about it was all "of course they shouldn't be censoring and black listing creators just for being conservative" then some of their friends who knew what was going on clued them in and they were like "oh, seriously? gently caress those guys with a cactus."
I'm convinced the reason the original GG got as much traction as it did is because its surface-level claim to be about "ethics in videogame journalism" really struck a chord in gamers who noticed just how godawful and corrupt 99% of videogame journalism actually is.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lurdiak posted:

I think some of the toxicity can be traced to 90s gaming magazines. I didn't know this at the time because I only read Nintendo Power, but they were all horribly misogynistic, hateful "edgy" rags. That culture then moved online when the magazines folded.
That was ALL 90s magazines - it was the decade of the Maxim-style "lads mag", and tons of other magazines (especially ones that targeted young men) took their cues from them. I assume everyone here remembers Wizard?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

(The whole thread is pretty interesting when he's not just responding to this idiot. He talks about how reimagining characters and how it might change that character has given him ideas for stuff he's working on.)
Unsurprising. His signature work is a series (ASTRO CITY) which is populated by interesting reimaginings of standard big-two supercharacters (Superman but from a doomed future instead of a doomed planet, Batman but he's a vampire, Wonder Woman who is actually a dedicated walk-the-talk feminist, etc.)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"St. John" is great, both because it's so unwieldy as a given name, and that it shortens to "Sinjin"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The next round of Marvel movies and TV shows puts women and people of color front and center. Wandavision, Black Panther II, Shang-Chi, She-Hulk, Lady Thor, Black Widow, Falcon as Captain America, Ms. Marvel, Kate Bishop/Hawkeye - Marvel is betting very heavily on non white dudes as the next big thing.

We'll be hearing from these dumb clowns for a long, long time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Covok posted:

Disney is an evil megacorp that, like all corporations, deserves dissolution and for every board member to be jailed. But, it is nice they see profit in appealing to non-white, non-het, non-male-identifying-individuals enough for them to sell us versions of our culture -- that were rightfully the people's to begin with -- in a form that acknowledges our existence.
Yeah, they aren't doing it because of their heartfelt commitment to a more inclusive culture - they're doing it because their market research shows that this is where the money is, going forward. It's the same reason Doritos sells their chips in rainbow-themed bags during pride month, or why Nike signed Colin Kaepernick to a marketing deal - because their numbers show that this is where their customers are headed. Nike could have built a campaign around famous athletes thanking soldiers and police officers for their service and calling them "the real heroes", but instead they went with Kaep.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 26, 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lurdiak posted:

All these sex perverts bleed together.
If only...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Maybe EVS just has giant hands?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In recent years "challenge coins" have become a thing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
IIRC he was also the "actually, cancelling orders to people with asian-sounding names is sound business policy and absolutely not racism" guy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
They all suck at business. We know this because they were Dunning-Kruger stupid enough to try and build a livelihood on top of their belief that there's this huge market for "non-SJW" comics out there just waiting to hand their money over to creators who make a point about not being "woke".

No surprise that someone dumb enough to start with that belief would also suck at every other aspect of running a self-publishing comic concern (printing, shipping, customer service, even penciling and inking 24 pages).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Gluestick + scissors + $150 inkjet printer + roll of quarters = Fabulous LIMITED EDITION Collector Coins L(.)(.)K!!!!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Catfishenfuego posted:

Snowflake and Safespace sound like fake heroes the alt-right would make up to make fun of people.
They sound like easily-chumped villains from issue #2 of some ComicsGate anti-SJW comic book (that was solicited, fundraised for, but never released)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Plus, they have a lot of practice yelling (in agreement or in rage) at talk radio in their car during their long commutes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hell yes, Milk & Cheese.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

No, they're both sitting in chairs with their hands on arm rests and spreading their legs. It's clearly a ripoff of his art, the first time any powerful male figure has ever been shown sitting legs akimbo in a throne.
There is a whole decades-long history of "King Conan sitting on his throne, brooding and alone" covers and artwork. It was even the final shot of the 1982 movie!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wendell posted:

Thank you for proving that John Millius and Arnie ripped off that Batman drawing.
:monocle:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I always figured Black Panther was just Kirby/Lee taking an old pulp trope (deep in the jungle there is this lost, isolated ancient civilization) and putting a twist on it (...that is actually high-tech with flying cars and computers and poo poo), flipping the script on who the actual primitives were.

Edge & Christian posted:

Also it's obviously cherry-picked, but the initial letter column response to Black Panther debuting is kind of fascinating; there are some negative letters, but pretty much every one is negative in a way that suggests that the FF book has been going downhill with all these lame new characters like Galactus, Silver Surfer, Black Panther, etc. Bring back the classic FF characters!
IIRC, Kirby was working up a whole bunch of new titles, his proposals got nixed, so he just shrugged and put all those concepts into FF - which is why there is that run of about 10-15 issues where it's just series of brilliant new ideas (the Inhumans and Silver Surfer and Galactus and Black Panther and ...) that just drop in, one after another, without pausing for breath. Just an astonishing effort - probably Kirby at the height of his powers.

If you go back to the 1990s USENET archives and look up alt.tv.simpsons postings, you'll see people panning all of the classic episodes when they were first aired. Whose idea was it to make an entire show about a stupid monorail? Bart didn't tell anyone to eat his shorts even once! I'm through with this show!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

What's a flatter?
Nothing much, what's a flatter with you?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
When Warren Ellis had his online forum, he only gave mode powers to women, and he'd refer to them collectively as his "deadly sexy henchwomen" and things like that.

Him being a sex pest is the least surprising news imaginable.

e: vvv Wood (a good friend and collaborator of Ellis) would hit on women inappropriately, and try to drive them out of the industry if they turned him down.

Gotta love the headline on this article: Brian Wood accused of sexual misconduct (again)

FMguru fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 16, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Moore is a sex weird but not a sex pest. He's not on the internet, doesn't go to conventions, and barely leaves his big spoopy house. He doesn't interact with fans or colleagues, so he has no opportunities to groom them or harass them or proposition them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

doingitwrong posted:

Also that he was literally know as Stalin on WEF.
He tries to elide that at the start of his "apology", with his comment about how he never thought of himself as powerful and famous despite twenty years of bad jokes about it.

quote:

Dr Nerdlove has a good accounting of the culture of the forum and the wider culture of comics. I’ve only been on the edges of this world but none of what is described sounds out of character to me. https://www.doctornerdlove.com/on-f...-comic-culture/
I was around on the WEF during those days and this all scans to me - especially the use of this picture:

Steve McQueen slapping Ali McGraw from The Getaway (1972)

as the WEF's stock response to anyone complaining or stepping out of line. Ha ha hilarious!