Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

McCloud posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sheraz...sh=50fe04c2518f

Fisher went into detail on why he felt the need to retract the statement, citing how fabricated talking points were distributed to the cast of heaping praise on Whedon as Snyder’s replacement.

“For one thing, the cast and crew were told that Zack had handpicked Joss to finish the film for him. I didn’t find out until after the reshoots that that was a complete lie.” Fisher began. “I heard whispers and rumblings of things being off behind the scenes, but nothing concrete until much later. They had us go out to San Diego Comic-Con in 2017 and say Zack picked Joss and that Joss was a great guy. I still have the email with those talking points.”

After Zack Snyder left Justice League’s production in early 2017 following a family tragedy, Warner Bros. Pictures brought in Joss Whedon to conduct reshoots that heavily altered the original film. The cast of the film was taken aback by the things that happened in Snyder’s absence. Yet, the cast was not aware of how bad things were about to get.

“You’ve got to understand, Zack stepped away to be with his family, and we wanted to give him space to do that,” Fisher said. “He and I didn’t speak for about a year after he left.”

Fisher went on to explain how the abusive and unprofessional atmosphere was cultivated behind closed doors even before Snyder departed the project.

“Prior to Justice League’s reshoot process, blatantly racist conversations were had and entertained—on multiple occasions—by former and current top level executives at Warner Bros. Pictures,” Fisher stated. “Decision-makers that participated in those racist conversations were Geoff Johns, Jon Berg, and current Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich.” Emmerich, Berg, and Johns did not immediately respond for comment.

“I realized that the notes I ended up getting from Johns during reshoots were just a coded version of the racist things he was saying with behind closed doors with the other execs,” Fisher alleged.

“A lot of what these guys were doing was in an effort to prevent themselves from being fired during AT&T’s merger with Time Warner,” Fisher pointed out to Forbes. “I plan getting much more specific about each of these guys after the investigation is over—this interview is just the abridged version,” Fisher further clarified.

While Fisher was already aware of the alleged whitewashing, he didn't become aware of these racist conversations until after he started speaking out.

“These conversations were reported to me by people in the room. And I wasn’t made aware until AFTER I had already spoken out about Joss Whedon.”

Toby Emmerich’s the guy who helped New Line Cinema get absorbed into Warner Bros. A lot of people lost their jobs in that merger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

McCloud posted:

A nice reminder to not support Disney, I guess

As if I needed another one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Putting Mickey ears on a punisher skull logo feels like something I’d see in Mad Magazine and not a real logo used by Disney services.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The only thing she hates more than the Brood are the Packers.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

She's actually good in Haywire

Weren’t all of her lines completely redubbed by somebody else in that movie?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

And these assholes are not shy anymore about showing their hate. I hope someone throws the authorities at them:

https://twitter.com/KnightGambit/status/1372651668895002625

Seriously, this is a huge red flag. Who you guys call when someone goes around telling they want to kill a minority?

goddamn, Ethan Van Sciver's such a huge loving disgusting scumbag.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I would be ecstatic if TenNapel called me a communist.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

White people using their nationality to obfuscate issues in regards to colorism is nothing new.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Madkal posted:

Yea I am not trying to defend Johns and his reasons for why he brings up his background, just that people shouldn't start saying "people from ethnic group 1 aren't really from that ethnic group because they follow a different religion from other people from that region".
It kind of comes across as when people wrote thought pieces about how Obama wasn't black enough. If someone is from a certain ethnic background and is a lovely person, they are still a lovely person and we don't really need to attack their background as not being pure enough.

No one is saying this tho? Unless I missed that post. I’m coming at this as a person of color, which is why I said what I said and chose the words I chose. Hispanic communities face the same issue, white Latinos sell out their brown brothers all the time, nationality has nothing to do with it, their white privilige absolutely does.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neil Gaiman: “Listen bud...”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I own a copy of Cyberfrog: Reservior Frog #1 because Erik Larsen did the variant cover and I’m a huge mark for Larsen, but the book itself is pretty dire, and that’s not taking into account the uninspired subtitle.

The cover was done decades ago and Larsen wants nothing to do with Sciver or Comicsgate and I don’t blame him.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I really liked Trent Kaniuga’s issue of Scud Tales From The Vending Machine, but I never saw Creed on the racks back in the day so never had the chance to pick it up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I would imagine losing all the original Pitt art to a storage auction has to eat at him every day.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

X-O posted:

Comicsgate is going to turn into the Asylum of comics companies and just get knock off creators.

MARK SILVESTRI
TODD MCFAIRLANE
STAN LI
JACK GIRBY
DERIK LARSON
JOHN BURNE
ALAN MORE
BRIAN BENDITS
MARK MILLER
STEVE DIKTO
JOSS WHEDON

Erik Larsen has to take out Eric Larsen, Erik Larson, and Eric Larson in a Highlander-style royal rumble.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/1418664835663937538?s=21

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why people still give money to marvel or dc is beyond me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s a cardboard portfolio box with a magnetic latch wrapped in printed vinyl (or some other plastic material) to store comics in, but why the hell would you pay 100 bucks for this instead of 5 bucks for a long/short box is beyond me.

I think my comic shop does custom short boxes for like 15/20 bucks a pop, EVS is human scum and his scam game’s gotten pretty emboldened.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It was truth, justice, and the terran way in the Superman/Spider-Man crossover that came out in the 70s. Hope that guy has a time machine so he can make sure to get offended before he was born.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Image comics running a union shop loving owns.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As much as I love Cartoonist Kayfabe, I’m glad I missed the recent David Choe episodes as I don’t want to support or enable someone who bragged/embellished about raping a woman.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/alisonvingiano/celebrity-graffiti-artist-david-choe-says-admission-of-rapey

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s why I said he bragged and embellished instead of outright raping a woman. Although he more than likely did that poo poo, you don’t say something like that in what you think is a safe space and then walk it back only when it comes to public light.

I get that he has personal demons. A lot of people do. I went through trauma at a young age as well so I get it. I’m not trying to cancel the guy. At the same time, I recognize the tell tale signs of someone who has predatory tendencies and I just don’t want to gently caress with him or anything he does. I won’t pass judgment on those who do because it is a murky area, and as with most problematic artists, it ultimately falls on the individual who ingests and interacts with that art and artist.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s a lyric to a rap song.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 5, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was getting the mail one day and I saw one of my new neighbors get a box of books from All Caps Comics in the mail, it was the first time I didn’t want to talk with someone about comics.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Every boy in America has or wants a Marvel Comics Angela action figure and sales of it are at the top of the list every year.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kirby was the legend, Stan just took the credit and profit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why would Ditko script anything if they were using the marvel method?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I don’t know or care what Ethan’s release date was supposed to be, but if it’s three years late, Larsen released Savage Dragon 248 in April of 2020, and just released issue 261 in January of 2022, so he’s released 13 issues of Savage Dragon, along with 3 issues of Ant, and a couple of variant covers for books like Astro City, Killadelphia, and Crossover.

He also released Savage Dragon Archives vol 10, which is a black and white collection of Savage Dragon, and there’s a lot of post process stuff Erik does to get the pages to work in black and white too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, from what I heard, Mario Gully had an offer to sell the character from another party, but didn’t feel comfortable selling to them for whatever reason, and knew Erik had a vested interest in the character since he helped Mario bring the book to Image, so Mario made Erik an offer, and Erik accepted. He finished Mario’s run with an issue 12 that capped off that storyline, then relaunched the book with an issue 1 and has been releasing that alongside Savage Dragon.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Genzarfield

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’s against government interference but also wants the government to interfere and lock up his son because he thinks imprisonment is the only cure for addiction?

he’s a huge loving moron.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s wild how little marvel fans give a poo poo about how exploitative Disney/Marvel is, then turn around and feel self righteous against “toxic fan culture”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I never said both things weren’t bad. I said Marvel fans feel self righteous while ignoring or deflecting from the toxicity in their own fandom. Show me a marvel fan critical of the racism and toxicity within marvel movies and the fandom that champions those films, please.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I'm going to guess Pearson has a real problem with deadlines. I remember he did a fill-in issue on Witchblade way back when that was hyped as a Big Deal and he only did about half of it.

I heard he mentioned before about suffering from bipolar disorder which affects his work output, which is awful and I hope he does get professional help if that’s the case, but if he has the foresight to recognize his diagnosis, he should also realize why he’s in the wrong on this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I heard he donated it around the time they started doxxing the people he was already harassing on Twitter. That’s some coward bully poo poo either way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’s probably using it as a tax write off, which makes sense since it’s just scams all the way down with that guy

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shadowline too, I would’ve figured Valentino wouldn’t jump on the ai bandwagon, that really sucks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oasx posted:

I don't have a problem with AI art in general, but when it's a company that can afford to pay an artist, and is also making money off this cover then it's awful.

I don’t think that’s Image’s work model. They don’t hire artists to do books, they accept pitches from indie creators and then green light those projects, this is solely on the creators of the book, Image is just enabling those creators by giving them a distribution platform.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

Fantagraphics and Woodruff responded

They didn’t say much or address the controversy at all

There's a link within that link that leads to a really good tear down/review of the book

https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2023/05/21/mr-thomas-woodruffs-francis-rothbart-not-really-a-review/

quote:

Fantagraphics publishes another edgelord book called Red Room that (falsely) touts itself as being “banned in 34 countries”, but this is a book that probably would be if anybody in those 34 countries took a look at it. You’ve been out-edged, Red Room guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Erik Larsen used to have a column on the cbr website and it looks like it’s been completely scrubbed from their website.