Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Surprised there hasn't been much mention of all the background ghosts. Then again, I don't think most of these would get noticed unless you are deliberately looking for them due to them not moving, blending in with the background, and being on screen for very short periods of time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmE4M6puY-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
I was pretty surprised people came out of the ending thinking it was happy. Nell's face as Hugh walked into the red room looked devastated. And Liv's eyes were downright predatory as she stared at Steve. I took Steve's "and it was all okay after that" narration as him taking up Hugh's role of lying to protect everyone from the truth. I mean, Hugh basically told him that the house and his promise were Steve's now, and Steve's arc really seems to be about finding out why his dad did what he did, understanding it, and taking over.

I can't see the Dudley's ending as happy either. They lost both of their children, and the house used it to tie them there, to keep them from ever leaving, to make sure that one day they would come there to die and join the souls it's swallowed.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Guiness13 posted:

I was pretty surprised people came out of the ending thinking it was happy. Nell's face as Hugh walked into the red room looked devastated. And Liv's eyes were downright predatory as she stared at Steve. I took Steve's "and it was all okay after that" narration as him taking up Hugh's role of lying to protect everyone from the truth. I mean, Hugh basically told him that the house and his promise were Steve's now, and Steve's arc really seems to be about finding out why his dad did what he did, understanding it, and taking over.

I can't see the Dudley's ending as happy either. They lost both of their children, and the house used it to tie them there, to keep them from ever leaving, to make sure that one day they would come there to die and join the souls it's swallowed.

This might what they wanted it to feel like, but the way it's shown doesn't make that super clear.

Nell - Gets to say goodbye to her siblings, says that time isn't linear and that she isn't gone from their lives. Seems almost at peace with what has happened to her. She does look haunted in that final scene a bit, but with the room brightly lit white it's a mix bag of imagery.

Hugh - Sacrifices himself to spend eternity with his wife, convincing her that letting the kids go isn't a bad thing. We last see him walking into a white lit red room as his younger self and embracing his wife and daughter.

Liv - Hugh convinces her not to kill the rest of their kids and that he'll stay with her. Again, we last see her in the white light version of that room

Dudley's - Other than being tied to the house the rest of their lives, there's no real time it's shown to be a negative thing for them. They seemed to age a lot before they died and the only time we saw any of their ghost forms they were normal looking, not decayed.

The final scene in the house would be way more obviously bad if we last see Liv and Nell as their decayed forms and if the room didn't look like a stereotypical heaven. Or if we didn't get the happy scene of Mrs. Dudley dying in the house, only to appear as a ghost with her dead baby and dead girl, looking happy.

The ending is "happy" overall no matter what though, the remaining kids get away and are able to confront the issues that have haunted them all their lives (Steven gets back with his wife and agrees to have kids, Shirley confesses to her husband and they move on, Luke is 2 years clean, Theo moves out on her own and gives up her gloves). The only interpretation is whether or not the ghosts live tortured existences for the rest of time, or if they can choose to just live out a happy existence with their loved ones that are also there.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Waltzing Along posted:

Surprised there hasn't been much mention of all the background ghosts. Then again, I don't think most of these would get noticed unless you are deliberately looking for them due to them not moving, blending in with the background, and being on screen for very short periods of time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmE4M6puY-4

I mentioned them but my uh...more controversial opinions became the subject of conversation.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Guiness13 posted:

Exactly I really don't see how it's a happy ending at all. The show has multiple lines about the predatory nature of the house. It shows the desiccated ghosts and cobwebbed abandoned halls. There's nothing happy about that house. It exacerbated the mental illnesses in the Crain family, lured them back, caught 3 of them, and got the Dudleys too. The happy afterlife is all a lure for a soul trap.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I really liked this show once I got over how unsubtle and unambiguous it is with it's supernatural spooks. Nell's episode hit home for me just because I've known a few people who basically acted a lot like she did after going through their own tragedies. I really liked the house set, and how you can kinda start mapping it out in your head after a while. This sounds like an odd thing to praise but they really carried over the tone of the bickering scenes from the book, so that's fun.

I think I'd characterize the ending as "bittersweet" more than happy or sad. The House definitely gets a meal, but in all that Liv and the dad get to be together again, the Dudleys to stay with their little girl, and the surviving Crains are on their way to fixing their lives a bit. That said I wouldn't kick a scene where Luke drives up to Hill House with a bulldozer out of bed.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

As someone who suffers from sleep paralysis with pretty similar symptoms that episode freaked me out more than a little bit.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I don't think anyone has mentioned it but my God were Livs clothes just dreamy. I particularly liked the velvet dress, and the contrast of her plain visiting her sister outfit

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Sloth Life posted:

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but my God were Livs clothes just dreamy. I particularly liked the velvet dress, and the contrast of her plain visiting her sister outfit

At some point I burst out with something like "goddamn, how many awesome bathrobes that I want does this woman have?!?"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Akuma posted:

As someone who suffers from sleep paralysis with pretty similar symptoms that episode freaked me out more than a little bit.

Same, was probably the most uncomfortable part for me. It was really accurate to my own experiences, except that I've always hallucinated anyone trying to wake me as something terrifying.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Doltos posted:

Exactly I really don't see how it's a happy ending at all. The show has multiple lines about the predatory nature of the house. It shows the desiccated ghosts and cobwebbed abandoned halls. There's nothing happy about that house. It exacerbated the mental illnesses in the Crain family, lured them back, caught 3 of them, and got the Dudleys too. The happy afterlife is all a lure for a soul trap.

Yes. I felt this way, as well. Its whole point is to mine people's weaknesses and gaslight them into killing themselves. Making an afterlife there look super pleasant is perfectly consistent with why it's evil.

It wasn't clear to me if the ghosts were merely selective about who they appeared to, or if it's just the Shining thing some of the Crains seem to have. Did Steve and Shirley not see things because the ghosts didn't give a poo poo about them, or were they just less attractive targets because they didn't have weird hyper-sensory powers? (Or just oblivious, and poo poo was happening around them constantly.)

I really hope this show does an anthology thing, though. I'm honestly not that interested in more Hill House, be it about the Crains or the Hills or anyone. I'd just like to see this stylistic approach brought to different horror narratives. Pick a different haunted site, develop different characters, explore new themes. Do something with a Southern plantation, a Spanish mission, reservation lands, a haunted ship, whatever.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The last ten minutes of the show contain all the cinematic cues of a happy ending including slow piano music, an uplifting monologue, depictions of all the living characters resolving their traumas, and all the dead characters reuniting in their young, untainted bodies in a bright, white afterlife.

The ending sucks by implication but the show's makers clearly want to make you feel like everything worked out in the end. It's why everyone is complaining about how tonally incongruent it is to the rest of the series.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, regardless of the implications and deeper meanings of the ending, the tone of the last 10 minutes was such a total 180 from the rest of the show that it literally made me sit there and stare at the screen for a few breaths when it cut to credits, and finally just go "what?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The original ending would have been far better.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the first episode of this show was great and ultimately I kinda wish I had just stopped there. the "whatever walks here, walks together" line at the very end actually made me mad :mad:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The introduction of Poppy is where I feel the show jumped the shark. If they just cut the show after the scary version grabbed Luke and gave us a Poochy style "sadly everyone died" screen I would have been happier.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
So many overwrought speeches and lines in that last episode it was painful.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Throw me in the bad ending boat. Too much of a tonal shift. It would have worked if the show had started in a similar place and then descended but nope. Just didn't work for me. There were allusions to Steve doing research on the house, iirc. The show needed more about the house. Leaving it a total mystery was ultimately unsatisfying.

E: a couple things I didn't see mentioned

1 - Where did Luke get the heroin? He was clean. He wouldn't have bought any or had any on him after the mugging. So where did it come from?
There was a shot that seemed to indicate he had shot up the rat poison, but I'm pretty sure that would have killed him for sure. But again, where did the needle come from?

2 - Hugh opened the red room. Obvious, I know, but I pointed it out to my gf while watching. "Did you see that Hugh is the one who opened the red room? That means he isn't leaving the house." "Why do you say that?" "Because he is the one who opened the door. It wasn't Liv." Anyway, Liv refusing to open it shows that she still wasn't willing to change. She was just as crazy as Poppy. Not sure if Poppy was evil so much as crazy and lonely and convinced that she was in the right.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 30, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So a theory that Flannigan confirmed about why Shirley loving sucks, is that the kids are all the 5 stages of grief.

Steve- Denial
Shirley- Anger
Theo- Bargaining
Luke- Depression
Nell- Acceptance

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Akuma posted:

Hey sleep paralysis buddy! I get it very rarely and it's almost always a "shadow person" I see so yeah that struck a nerve.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
At the end of ep 8 I wasn't sure if Luke actually lit the house on fire and just didn't see it--like how Nell put a noose around her neck without noticing--and I thought that was sort of a cool mystery as to whether or not the ghosts were real or if Luke was just burning to death, but then episode 9 very quickly explains "no no the ghosts are DEFINITELY real, and the house is magically fireproof"

Also I thought it wasn't heroin, but rat poison that Luke was injected with, since that's Liv's uh...weapon of choice. Hence the foaming at the mouth and such.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

So a theory that Flannigan confirmed about why Shirley loving sucks, is that the kids are all the 5 stages of grief.

Steve- Denial
Shirley- Anger
Theo- Bargaining
Luke- Depression
Nell- Acceptance

Ahhh that's stupid. No wonder Shirley's character was so off beat and out of place.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Xad posted:

At the end of ep 8 I wasn't sure if Luke actually lit the house on fire and just didn't see it--like how Nell put a noose around her neck without noticing--and I thought that was sort of a cool mystery as to whether or not the ghosts were real or if Luke was just burning to death, but then episode 9 very quickly explains "no no the ghosts are DEFINITELY real, and the house is magically fireproof"

Also I thought it wasn't heroin, but rat poison that Luke was injected with, since that's Liv's uh...weapon of choice. Hence the foaming at the mouth and such.

I mean ghosts are pretty real right off the bat. There's one dancin around that first scene.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Doltos posted:

Ahhh that's stupid. No wonder Shirley's character was so off beat and out of place.

Are you an only child or the youngest because I feel like it's easier to relate to Shirley if you've been in a situation where your parents aren't around and now you, as the oldest/older child, have to take responsibility for your siblings. I didn't find her off beat or out of place at all, she's been forced to be the matriarch of her family since her mother is dead, her father was gone for a large part of her life, and her older brother wants nothing to do with his siblings outside of profiting from their family trauma.

e: She's also the only one with a family of her own, yet she still feels she has to be responsible for everyone else. Resentment leads to anger.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 30, 2018

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KillerQueen posted:

I mean ghosts are pretty real right off the bat. There's one dancin around that first scene.

It's not obvious if the ghosts are real or not at first. Not until episode 8 I think is when the house/ghosts show to have actual powers. I don't remember an instance where more than one person sees a ghost at a time, and you never witness a ghost actually touching/hurting a person until ep. 8. I was in real doubt that the ghosts actually existed up until that point.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
*poses as if in deep thought* "a ghost is a wish, or a regret, or a dream"

Or it's an actual ghost that tears your PJs apart and makes you go insane.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Are you an only child or the youngest because I feel like it's easier to relate to Shirley if you've been in a situation where your parents aren't around and now you, as the oldest/older child, have to take responsibility for your siblings. I didn't find her off beat or out of place at all, she's been forced to be the matriarch of her family since her mother is dead, her father was gone for a large part of her life, and her older brother wants nothing to do with his siblings outside of profiting from their family trauma.

e: She's also the only one with a family of her own, yet she still feels she has to be responsible for everyone else. Resentment leads to anger.

Second youngest but I meant more that her childhood character background didn't relate at all to who she was as an adult besides her occupation. All the other children's stories related to their adult stories except Shirley. The character itself wasn't bad, it's just that her childhood flashback showed her as a nice kid who got hosed up by seeing a bug crawl out of a dead kittens mouth. Going by the other four back stories she should have grown up to be timid or a nervous wreck or something. Instead she was just really, really mean.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Doltos posted:

Going by the other four back stories she should have grown up to be timid or a nervous wreck or something. Instead she was just really, really mean.

Maybe, yeah. My main takeaways from Shirley's childhood were 1) caretaking impulses from the kittens, and 2) an obsession with superficially "fixing" unfixable problems. Obviously, those things are true of her job, but you'd think that would inform her personality in general. So, maybe not timid, but more conciliatory or delusional about how happy or functional the family is.

Though, I don't think it's nonsensical she'd be blunt and mean; she has reasons to be. It just felt unearned, especially compared to Theo who's also many of those things, but with way more reasons why.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Throw me in the bad ending boat. Too much of a tonal shift. It would have worked if the show had started in a similar place and then descended but nope. Just didn't work for me. There were allusions to Steve doing research on the house, iirc. The show needed more about the house. Leaving it a total mystery was ultimately unsatisfying.

E: a couple things I didn't see mentioned

1 - Where did Luke get the heroin? He was clean. He wouldn't have bought any or had any on him after the mugging. So where did it come from?
There was a shot that seemed to indicate he had shot up the rat poison, but I'm pretty sure that would have killed him for sure. But again, where did the needle come from?

2 - Hugh opened the red room. Obvious, I know, but I pointed it out to my gf while watching. "Did you see that Hugh is the one who opened the red room? That means he isn't leaving the house." "Why do you say that?" "Because he is the one who opened the door. It wasn't Liv." Anyway, Liv refusing to open it shows that she still wasn't willing to change. She was just as crazy as Poppy. Not sure if Poppy was evil so much as crazy and lonely and convinced that she was in the right.

Yeah, I don't think it was heroin. Or was there even a needle? The needle may have been imaginary, and his condition may have been the house.

Poppy and Liv were both crazy. Crazy and undead is a helluva drug. Of course there's also the question of how much of what we saw was Poppy, and how much of it was an avatar of the house luring people in. Unless all those ghosts are post-Poppy, it wasn't her that trapped them there. The only ones she's responsible for that we know of for sure are the Crains, the Dudleys (well Mr and Mrs. were voluntary), and probably her husband. Maybe Hazel, but maybe Hazel just had the bad luck to die there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Xealot posted:

Maybe, yeah. My main takeaways from Shirley's childhood were 1) caretaking impulses from the kittens, and 2) an obsession with superficially "fixing" unfixable problems. Obviously, those things are true of her job, but you'd think that would inform her personality in general. So, maybe not timid, but more conciliatory or delusional about how happy or functional the family is.

Though, I don't think it's nonsensical she'd be blunt and mean; she has reasons to be. It just felt unearned, especially compared to Theo who's also many of those things, but with way more reasons why.

I'm not sure if was nonsensical per se I just think that either her childhood needed to be fixed to reflect how she acts as an adult, have her adulthood fixed to reflect how she acts as a child, or to not have the other four kids have such direct correlation between their flashbacks and who they are now. Like you said she has reasons to be blunt and mean, but it feels like it has nothing to do with her childhood which is what the show was doing for the other siblings.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Just realized that, canonically, Nell's funeral happens tomorrow.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Gaunab posted:

The Haunting of Hill House(not the House on Haunted Hill, or the Haunting of Hell House)

:doh:

This whole time I thought it was a take on Hell House, with which it shares a few significant spoilers and a lot of thematic consistency.

I'm pretty sure that "some houses born bad" line appears in both as well.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

https://twitter.com/ybbaaabby/status/1057496321211404289

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I feel like every show does that. It's like empty coffee cups, or characters leaving at the end of conversations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
"One beer, please"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

"One beer, please"

Hahaha they just did that in an episode of Mr. Mercedes, two guys walk into the bar and one says "Two beers please". I wanted the bartender to say "Uhhh maybe a bit more specific, guys?" I know they can't for advertising sakes, but I'd rather it just have them sitting down and the bartender bringing the beers as if they ordered them off screen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
What about in crime procedural type shows?

Writer writes a paragraph of exposition. Breaks it up and has every character in the screen say one line so that no one is left out. It's pretty stupid.

John: He went to the bank.
Mary: Where he did a withdrawal.
Liz: From his savings account.
Paul: But then he tipped over a trash can.
Sam: And ate half a snickers bar that someone had thrown away.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

moths posted:

:doh:

This whole time I thought it was a take on Hell House, with which it shares a few significant spoilers and a lot of thematic consistency.

I'm pretty sure that "some houses born bad" line appears in both as well.

And there's a difference between the book Hell House, the movie The Legend of Hell House, and the movie The Haunting of Hell House.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
'A clenched fist with hair' is probably my favorite line in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

ulex minor posted:

*poses as if in deep thought* "a ghost is a wish, or a regret, or a dream"

Or it's an actual ghost that tears your PJs apart and makes you go insane.

It’s all of the above. The house pulls those wishes, regrets and dreams out of you and uses it against you.

Doltos posted:

Second youngest but I meant more that her childhood character background didn't relate at all to who she was as an adult besides her occupation. All the other children's stories related to their adult stories except Shirley. The character itself wasn't bad, it's just that her childhood flashback showed her as a nice kid who got hosed up by seeing a bug crawl out of a dead kittens mouth. Going by the other four back stories she should have grown up to be timid or a nervous wreck or something. Instead she was just really, really mean.

The parents mention several times that Shirley is ridged, uptight and has a stick up her rear end. Both during flashbacks and during the adult timeline.

I wonder if Nell and Luke got more of the ghostly poo poo because they are younger and more prone to flights of fancy. The other three kids are older and more likely to try to rationalize things.

• Locked thread