Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Doltos posted:

Exactly I really don't see how it's a happy ending at all. The show has multiple lines about the predatory nature of the house. It shows the desiccated ghosts and cobwebbed abandoned halls. There's nothing happy about that house. It exacerbated the mental illnesses in the Crain family, lured them back, caught 3 of them, and got the Dudleys too. The happy afterlife is all a lure for a soul trap.

Yes. I felt this way, as well. Its whole point is to mine people's weaknesses and gaslight them into killing themselves. Making an afterlife there look super pleasant is perfectly consistent with why it's evil.

It wasn't clear to me if the ghosts were merely selective about who they appeared to, or if it's just the Shining thing some of the Crains seem to have. Did Steve and Shirley not see things because the ghosts didn't give a poo poo about them, or were they just less attractive targets because they didn't have weird hyper-sensory powers? (Or just oblivious, and poo poo was happening around them constantly.)

I really hope this show does an anthology thing, though. I'm honestly not that interested in more Hill House, be it about the Crains or the Hills or anyone. I'd just like to see this stylistic approach brought to different horror narratives. Pick a different haunted site, develop different characters, explore new themes. Do something with a Southern plantation, a Spanish mission, reservation lands, a haunted ship, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Doltos posted:

Going by the other four back stories she should have grown up to be timid or a nervous wreck or something. Instead she was just really, really mean.

Maybe, yeah. My main takeaways from Shirley's childhood were 1) caretaking impulses from the kittens, and 2) an obsession with superficially "fixing" unfixable problems. Obviously, those things are true of her job, but you'd think that would inform her personality in general. So, maybe not timid, but more conciliatory or delusional about how happy or functional the family is.

Though, I don't think it's nonsensical she'd be blunt and mean; she has reasons to be. It just felt unearned, especially compared to Theo who's also many of those things, but with way more reasons why.

• Locked thread