Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Vizuyos posted:

There's a pretty clear dividing line between natural dungeons and artificial dungeons. In general, Dungeon Meshi lays out three types of dungeon:

1) "Natural dungeon" basically just seems to mean "place that tends to gather a lot of mana, which tends to attract monsters, which disproportionately like that mana". By themselves, natural dungeons aren't especially special. They're mildly dangerous, due to the monsters they attract, but that's about it.

2) However, natural dungeons are perfect starting places for creating an artificial dungeon, in which mages and craftsmen harness that power for their own purposes. As part of doing so, they'll tend to change the place to more effectively trap and harness mana, meddle with the ecosystem to ensure a more reliable population of monsters to guard the dungeon, and so on. If these dungeons are set up well as self-sustaining ecosystems, they can endure long past the death of their creator. Moreover, these dungeons tend to end up with tons of valuable or powerful stuff inside, and many of them hold advanced artifacts leftover from when the dwarves and elves fought over them. That said, some amount of conflict with outsiders is usually expected and taken into account when setting up that ecosystem balance, so a dungeon that's left totally alone for too long will tend to become overpopulated and start spilling out monsters into the surroundings. It's not clear how common these actually are, as we don't get much of a look at other dungeons. But Marcille and Farlyn met for the first time in a dungeonmaking class, so I can't imagine that basic forms of this are all that rare.

3) There's also a third category, dungeons where a demon has been involved. It's not clear exactly what's going on here. Marcille's studies suggest that the ancients harnessed demons for infinite magic power, and that dungeons were where they did it. The Winged Lion himself suggests that dungeons were prisons created to restrain the demon's power, capturing it within specified areas and binding it to obedience. Whatever the exact sequence of events is here, these dungeons are much more dangerous. Not only do they contain plenty of mana in their depths, but they also contain a demon who will happily help a dungeon lord wield that power any way they like, regardless of the lord's own magical abilities. The powers granted to the dungeon lord make it relatively easy to set up an extremely powerful dungeon. However, the manipulations of the demon, who's raising the dungeon lord either as food or as a plot to escape, make these dungeons a massive threat to the world in the eyes of the long-lived races.

The ending's pretty clear that the elves, at least, believe that whatever Laios did changed the nature of all demons. The Canaries are disbanded, Mithrun has to find a new goal in life, and the elven queen says that demons won't be doing any more wish-granting.

I agree with your list of dungeon criteria.

Also, I may not be as caught up as I thought I was. I've Volumes 1-13 are on Kindle, with 14 coming out in July. So, if all my weird questions are answered in Vol 14, then great. If my conjectures are all wrong, even better, because then I got to see how close or far off I was. Horseshoes and hand grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah thatd explain it. Yes most of us in this thread have read 14

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

golden bubble posted:

That's why the elves start a big therapy group for former dungeon lords after the end of the WL.

This wasn't in any of the actual volumes, was it? Is all the side content collected anywhere?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ah thatd explain it. Yes most of us in this thread have read 14

My only question is...why wasn't the dungeon 'depowered' by igniting the mana that must have been hissing out of the cracked magic barrier/ You had it right there in the first act, Kiu! It was your gun on the mantle! I was sure that was Marcille's plan when she made the dungeon a big cylinder. Spark a pilot light and deflate the fucker.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i imagine that'd be like setting off a nuke when Falin's tiny jar torched their classroom.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Synthbuttrange posted:

i imagine that'd be like setting off a nuke when Falin's tiny jar torched their classroom.

Exactly! That'd be rad! It'd look like loving Chernobyl

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Centralia mine fire but with the dimension of infinite energy

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

My only question is...why wasn't the dungeon 'depowered' by igniting the mana that must have been hissing out of the cracked magic barrier/ You had it right there in the first act, Kiu! It was your gun on the mantle! I was sure that was Marcille's plan when she made the dungeon a big cylinder. Spark a pilot light and deflate the fucker.

Because it wouldn't tie into the themes of the work as well

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its dungeon food

not dungeon decontamination crew

'3.6 magigen? Not great, not terrible' - melting laios

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
"Elephant foot...sounds edible!"

edit: speaking of radioactive food, the revelation that most of the dungeon is basically the Winged Lion by extension gave me the willies. That is enough to make not want to forage in the dungeon. I don't care what you say, that's bad ju-ju.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 16, 2024

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Marsupial Ape posted:

yawwwn boring

Vizuyos posted:

blah blah blah who cares

is the digestive system a dungeon?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Scholtz posted:

is the digestive system a dungeon?

I was honestly going to make a post about this. Riu's cross-sections of dungeons remind me of an alimentary canal. We're all essentially meat toroids.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Eating kraken flesh that had the water walk spell cast on it protects it from my digestive juices until the spell wears off

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I was honestly going to make a post about this. Riu's cross-sections of dungeons remind me of an alimentary canal. We're all essentially meat toroids.

(this upcoming episode, actually!)

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Exactly what I was thinking of, thank you.

I don't think it's an accident that the 'anus' is right above Laois' head. Adventurers are dungeon chow.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I'm thinking more pitcher plant

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

ronya posted:

I'm thinking more pitcher plant

Ok, I can see that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Amazing, she even drew in an appendix

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
God I wish I had selective amnesia just so I could read this wonderful manga all over again. :allears:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I wish I could wipe my memory and experience this series all over again. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

God I wish I had selective amnesia just so I could read this wonderful manga all over again. :allears:

you’re almost there, just post some more and eventually you’ll damage your brain enough

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Schwarzwald posted:

This wasn't in any of the actual volumes, was it? Is all the side content collected anywhere?

The first adventurer bible is translated in full, but the later side content is scattered all over. Like the little tidbit that giant mushroom monsters are a sign a demon dungeon is about to reach it's final form, because mushroom monster > giant mushroom monster is a terrible promotion that costs tons of mana for barely any benefit. It's the kind of thing a dungeon master would do only when they are running out of ideas on how to spend excess mana.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
just realized the next ep (or the one after) should include what might be my favorite panel from the entire manga

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
every single time laios obliviously backs kabru into a corner is delightful

a man whose words and deeds are so out of pocket it triggers a social chameleon's fight or flight

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

golden bubble posted:

The first adventurer bible is translated in full, but the later side content is scattered all over. Like the little tidbit that giant mushroom monsters are a sign a demon dungeon is about to reach it's final form, because mushroom monster > giant mushroom monster is a terrible promotion that costs tons of mana for barely any benefit. It's the kind of thing a dungeon master would do only when they are running out of ideas on how to spend excess mana.

Ah dang, this is exactly what I didn't want to hear.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://bsky.app/profile/bluedelliquanti.bsky.social/post/3kqauhiitk22i

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
izutsumi would lose almost every single task and often not even show up, but you know she'd occasionally nail a "get the thing to the thing without touching the thing!!!" type challenge by just like. yeeting it and getting a hole in one in a single go. the entire studio would lose its mind when it happened and it would be the one thing keeping her from quitting the show

marcille would lose every single task

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

With Mithrun as the Taskmaster and Kabru as Little Alex

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Chilchuck gets all the secret tasks because the editors know he'd have the funniest reactions to learning he was the only one who had to figure out how many beans are in a tin of baked beans.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I love the outfits on everyone, but especially Marcille

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I don't know this show and I'm not getting the jokes. Oh, well, nobody got my Doughboys refence yesterday in the Anime thread.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you should watch taskmaster, its funny

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Snooze Cruise posted:

you should watch taskmaster, its funny

I will check it out.

Also, I have begun relistening to Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human. Wrangham was explaining how much time our ancestors spent looking for firewood and other things to burn that it occurred to me that the cook fire spell would completely change the course of human development.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

You should! It's great! And it's all on YouTube!

Recommended series: 5, 7, 11, 12, 16 and Taskmaster NZ Series 2.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We just got this episode and I cannot loving wait for next week's one.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Pureauthor posted:

We just got this episode and I cannot loving wait for next week's one.

Anime-onlies got their first glimpse of Falingon. Next episode they will witness in her full monstrous glory as she redecorates some dungeon floors contents of peoples heads.

Between the big boss battle and its fallout, the next ep is gonna be a banger. The shots from the trailer that were assuredly from the next episode all looked very well animated. it is gonna be a showcase to surpass the Red Dragon battle.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Next week Kabru's player is going to call bullshit when the DM says that Falingon still isn't dead despite him landing 3 critical successes in a row on his dagger attack.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
How much trouble would I get in if I convinced the anime thread that Falin is indeed a chicken-taur and that eventually Laois and Senshi have to eat one of her eggs?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Probated for spoilers.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Don't make Laios eat niece quiche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Marsupial Ape posted:

How much trouble would I get in if I convinced the anime thread that Falin is indeed a chicken-taur and that eventually Laois and Senshi have to eat one of her eggs?

They would probably be more primed to believe it if you said she was some variant of basilisk/cockatrice, because of past experience.