Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Not just prevented the apocalypse but removed the persistent threat of apocalypse which was hitherto in constant need of minding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I kind of read it as "Oh, man, I could do something really hosed-up and cruel here, but you know what, I'm not actually that invested in being a little poo poo. Funny curse it is."

Mostly same except that after Laios ate the Winged Lion’s old motivations I don’t think he’s capable of caring In the specific way to go for the hosed up curse anymore

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Daughters, this is my hot friend. Hot friend, please begone from my sight.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

She’s not wrong, Thalmor outfits are pretty swag.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Melini greenification project

Wow what a lovely kingdom :haw:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

To use the Cagle Classification System, Izutsumi is a LONG TEEN.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

First. I have to explain Kui's worldbuilding in regards to magic as I understand it from what she has revealed in text, as I understand it. 'Magic' appears to just another intrinsic component of the natural order. Laois says "like magic or air" in regards to the epiphany that is the Winged Lion, but I think it is closer to gravity or magnetism. There's a whole host of defunct field theories from the pre-Socratics up to 'quantum mechanics' you can use to hand wave that. I think were meant to believe that it's zero point energy. The difference from other laws of nature, though, is that it seems to interact with conscious thought. Specifically desire. I see an immediate chick and egg problem, but let's assume that life needs magic and magic, being reactive to need, boot straps into awareness, if not consciousness. Anyway, all life requires mana, which appears to be metabolized magic. Mana is basically sugar. Mandrakes are mana "sugar beats", if you will. They 'photosynthesize' the magic field into "magic carbs". I'm supposing that the itty-bitty spirits represent some sort of blue-green algae or krill withing the mana ecosystem. Utilizing mana, which is magic laundered via the life cycle, represents immanent witchy stuff. Sucking magic directly from the 'infinity dimension' is trancesndent Lovecraftian stuff. Sky gods are bad for your health, imho.

Naturally occurring dungeons appear to be actual examples of emergence. Several factors interact to create a system greater than the sum of its parts. A cave with the right conditions, some handy bats, and slime will start a primitive mana pump. If everything is just so...maybe you'll get glowy poo poo. Like young Falin's little dungeon. I have no idea if they have any kind of organizing mind. Would a big one develop some sort of primal genius loci? Would that boot strap into an epiphany demon like WL should it encounter a sentient being? Regardless, from context, it looks like these can collapse if they aren't getting enough traffic. As an aside, naturally occurring fission reactors are a thing.

Again, from context, it appears that dungeons can self-propagate in artificial structures and ruins. Again, dark space with the right humidity. Bats making GBS threads in a forgotten tomb full of standing water and slimes, etc. I want to know if the awakened dungeon would some how pick up the 'theme' of the structure it manifests in. Like, would the Etruscan Tomb of the Bulls just start adding more chambers with weird AI art wall reliefs? Does the dungeon think its the guy in the tomb?

The Winged Lion and, I'm guessing, all similar demons trapped in war-era dungeons are emergent systems that have boot strapped into the equivalent of a Chinese Room. It is a completely artificial and mutable being with possibly no self awareness. It exists to interact with humans for optimal persuasion and manipulation of humans. An empty palanquin on the back of an elephant that figured out how to become an rampant AI.

I need to know if the Cleaners are naturally occurring like slimes or if they are purpose built conservators by Dungeon Lords.

There’s one part you got wrong/missed that is important to clarify: There’s no “other Demons”. They’re all the same Demon for all intents and purposes. The Demon is the personality of Mana itself. By devouring its appetite, Laios functionally gave Mana a new personality.

How will that work out? We dunno yet! It’s functionally unprecedented.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I don’t really even think of Shuro as a dick at all tbh. Yeah his behavior sucks for Laios, but it feels like an inevitable clash of personalities and cultures more than anything.

I don’t think there was any realistic reason to expect otherwise given their respective life experiences. Yes of course Shuro was going to politely weather Laios even when it drove him nuts to a breaking point, why wouldn’t he? That’s more or less the Prescribed Approach for that kind of situation back home on top of him being a shy person to start with.

Similarly, why would I expect Laios not to misread Shuro’s affected patience as acceptance?

It sucks that they both got burned for it but I don’t know think it’s realistic to expect otherwise from putting them in the same room. And then the dark magic reveal while Shuro is underfed, sleep deprived, and worried out of his mind.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 19, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

Would Willy Wonka be considered a Dungeon Lord or the Demon?

I work 12 hour shifts by myself. These are the thoughts I have.

Dungeon Lord. The oompa loompas are the Demon inhabiting multiple forms simultaneously to disguise its nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It makes perfect sense the second you say it out loud really, if you’ve seen how the character acts for any length of time