Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

read this, it was very good. it is always refreshing to read a work that is thoughtful about race and gender and culture as elements of character without getting flattening or didactic about it. also the central thematic points about eating (both its pleasures and its necessary pain) held together very well from beginning to end. i also really appreciate that chilchuck's biggest character moment near the finale is ultimately just him telling marcille that he sincerely wants to reconcile with his wife and wants her there to help him. also really respect the hell out of the writing's commitment to mithrun's telefrag-based combat style, which is very cool. good stuff all around.

i know people expressed surprise that kui said she didn't get deep into video games until after she got serialized (and i don't know the extent of her knowledge of other forms of fantasy) but i think it actually makes perfect sense. dunmeshi feels like the kind of really good stuff you can get when someone with a strong understanding of writing and storytelling and a sense of the value of consistency (which i would argue is the thread uniting kui's worldbuilding and characterization, which are elements of this work people really praise) approaches a genre milieu they are less familiar with (but, crucially, don't disrespect or devalue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ryoko kui does a very good job writing fully realized characters and she also has an incredibly firm command of tone, which is why senshi seems like he doesn't have many flaws. his "flaws", such as they are, are all very straightforwardly linked to the serious trauma that put him in the dungeon in the first place, which isn't a particularly funny thing and consequently comes up in pretty limited and specific places in this largely comedic series

this is also why laios seems most flawed; his problems play well as both comedy and drama, the story explores them to the fullest on each side, and this is fundamentally his story (and another thing ryoko kui has incredible command of is pacing and scope)