Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Look, Mikbell needs a sideline, and this lets Kuro feel useful all the time.

It's basically win win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Post the little comics about the Canaries. We learn a bunch about their Crimes.

They range from funny to outright disturbing!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Actually something that's bothered me is that the Canaries have a "first death" listing and I thought it was unique to the island dungeon the story takes place in. Because you'd need to bind the soul to the body and the only time we've seen that happen outside the dungeon was the flashback to Farlyn and Laios' childhood and the bloke that wore a ring he found from the dungeon before he passed away.

Although I guess these deaths could have been resolved with the equivalent of a magical defibrillator and healing magic to patch up the wounds. Something far more immediate in timing.

It's unique to dungeons in general. Dungeons are known for making death less likely to stick.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alopex posted:

The impression I got that is that resurrection magic is still a thing outside of dungeons but has a much lower success rate. Dying in an arena where they're expecting people to get slaughtered and have medical staff on hand to revivify the body before it cools seems relatively low risk.

I'd think that dungeons would be a good place to run your secret illegal fight clubs, really.

Easier to revive people, showier magic is easy to perform, and it's harder for the authorities to crack down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

She wrote a story that is sort of a detective case in her short story anthology, it's really funny.

It's a good punchline to the whole anthology in context. Some of them get a bit heavy, so going that full-on (detective) comedy lets the reader leave feeling content.

Glad I read through the whole thing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh.

Older than I thought.

(Feels a bit like a retcon, but if all retcons developed as well as the ones in Delicious in Dungeon, I don't think I'd ever object to them.)

Also, wow. More than 50 years in the dungeon without dying once. That's a pretty impressive record.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 6, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, at least our heroes haven't done anything exceptionally stupid.

Yet.

Good to have it confirmed that the demon of the dungeon is up to the usual. We're definitely not looking at the Pochita style of "show me your dreams".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

laios' obsessions are things he can actually pursue himself. marcille wants something that would fundamentally change the entire world and is completely impossible. the scale is completely different.

Laios (and this feels weird to say) also has more of a mental backstop. He'll still plunge ahead with bad ideas, sure, but people have talked him down in the past. Meanwhile, Marcille is committing a lot of actions that would get her sent to the Canaries if the wrong people heard about them, which suggests a stronger desire.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Please forgive my grandpa, he’s an old-fashioned elf, they didn’t know any better in his time.

Mithrun is older than the other Canaries by about 40-50 years, except for Pattadol, who is the youngest by far at 82.

Mithrun is suddenly reminding me of Captain Levi.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Kabru dying inside this whole chapter was my favorite part.

He's the only person here who didn't dump diplomacy, leaving him to watch as everyone else fucks everything up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

Kabru confirmed tsundere

It's complicated by him being nice on the surface, really.

Kabru acts nice to cover up his cynicism which covers the fact he's actually a nice guy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Short one.

Not even the length of a standard High School Family chapter.

Still good, just... oddly short.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vonnie posted:

They're just cranky because they're hungry.

That's why elves should learn to just accept monsters for lunch. It's a fun snack on the go!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Maybe they’d be more effective at containing the demon threat if they worked with the local peoples instead of paternalistically ordering them around

But then they wouldn't be elves. Assuming you know better and everyone else should just do what you say is a bit of a cultural default.

(Doesn't help that most of them are convicts who hate the job anyway.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

whoa, so that's how you become a dungeon master? that sounds pretty sweet! everyone knows that dungeons generate treasure!

they'd just ignore the parts they didn't like and come up with reasons why they, personally, would be okay. every dungeon diver is willing to risk their life to fulfill their desires and they are all potential dungeon masters.

It's a question of percentages. Some portion of adventurers, if the elves regularly gave an honest-but-incomplete description of why you need to eventually evacuate dungeons, (something will eat people's souls, the town will be destroyed, etc.) would respond to the Canaries arriving with "Whelp, money was good, but it looks like it just ran out. We'll be on our way, thanks for the heads up".

There'd just also be a portion who wanted to press their luck, some even going so far as to entertain the idea of getting to be Dungeon Lord.

The question is if the people who'd be more cooperative would outnumber the ones who wouldn't. And the elves don't care. This has worked so far, and there's no reason to change it for the comfort of the inferior... err... short lived.

(And now it's blowing up in their faces.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

every chapter i feel more and more sympathy for the canaries that have to deal with all of these utter weirdos

I still have no idea what the smart thing to do here is, but I am confident than no-one is doing it, whatever it may be.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

laios reveals some of his designs and they look suspiciously similar to modern day cryptids

An early draft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9IKsH9BXg

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Balache404 posted:

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1503367245325488129

OP is supposedly a reliable leaker. Guess we'll see in the coming weeks/months.

Wonder if it's going to be Trigger again. They've got a couple projects already lined up, but they did the trailer for Delicious in Dungeon a bit back.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

A lot of the humor in Dungeon Meshi is stuff that happens quietly in the background. I wonder how they will try to animate that.

A lot of shows have background gags quietly happening, so I don't see a reason that would be a real difficulty.

If we're bringing up Trigger, there were even whole little subplots in the background for Gridman episodes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fellis posted:

I wonder if it was a pacing for the book thing so the last bit in a volume is just a chapter of “we’re hosed”, and also a bit more hype for the last arc in the magazine

E: it makes me laugh to remember when they first found Falin we were predicting the end of the comic like 50 some chapters ago

Harta's a pretty flexible magazine. I know that Masao Ōtake (Hinamatsuri) started a new manga in it recently with a 11 page first chapter, so... dunno. Might be something going on over there, might just be the usual ebb and flow of things.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I keep trying to get people to buy Delicious in Dungeon at work (I work at a Barnes and Noble) and I don't get a lot of bites! What's a good, succinct way to get people interested in it?

Depends on who you're pitching it to. I've had some luck with "A team of adventurers have to rush to the base of a dungeon to save one of their own from being eaten by a dragon. Lacking supplies, they have to cook their way to the bottom.", but that's with people who play DnD, so they've got a bit of a base level connection to the setting and the idea of dungeons as ecologies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I typically don’t say a manga has gay characters unless it’s explicit, especially when recommending manga to customers. I don’t want them to feel lied to

Yeah, that's a sensible policy.

Marcille also has her succubus take the form of a (utterly ridiculous looking) elven man, so that's even more of a beat where you're at risk of selling people a bill of goods.

If you promise people something a story doesn't deliver, it makes both you and the book look bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bybus Slago posted:

Far from the first time its happened. Attack on Titan's fan-translated title was way better as Advance of the Giants, but can ya do.

Attack on Titan is a much better name, even if it makes less sense grammatically.

The K sound is a strong hook, Titan is used less often than Giant so it's more independently memorable, and having three words instead of two means it's faster to say.

Add in it being less terrible vis a vis the later title drop, and Attack on Titan beats Advance of the Giants at a walk.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gahmah posted:

What's wrong with Delicious in Dungeon? Adjective in Place sounds offputting to people or something?

Well, one problem is that people don't say "Dungeon" in English, instead going with "A Dungeon" or "The Dungeon". "In dungeon" sounds awkward.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Kill the demon and eat it, Laios

Hey, you don't even have to kill it first.

Just look at (spoilers for the ending to another series) Denji!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I dunno. Sure, Asuka can be rough company, and he was never able to settle things with his dad, but he seems to be making things work...

Oh, right. Other Kensuke. Yeah, that's rough

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

You can read her Short Story collection. She hasn't done much else.

Watch Slayers.

Collections, plural. I know of at least three. Not all of them are officially translated yet, but they're all interesting enough to be worth the read, and they've been fan translated if you know where to look.

Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End might also be worth a look. It's a story about an elf who was part of a JRPG hero party decades ago going out to retrace her steps. Very melancholic tone a lot of the time, and a bit of the same "Okay, how does this work?" attitude towards RPG elements that Dungeon Meshi has.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dolash posted:

I'm trying to watch Slayers, but the aforementioned vision problems make the special effects really hard on my eyes. I do really like seeing a charming old 80s/90s cartoon where a female protagonist gets to run around having fun and slapping dragons around. Maybe that has a manga I can read too?

I've gone ahead and looked up these other series you guys have mentioned and they look great! I guess there's a lot more gems out there than are stocked at my local Indigo. Thanks for the advice!

Something else that might be worth looking at is the Shonen Jump website. They've got a massive archive for 2 bucks a month, and the first three chapters of most manga are free. Since you like MHA, they probably have at least a few that you'd be interested in.

If you're looking for something popular right now from their listings, there's Kaguya: Love is War, Spy X Family, and Chainsaw Man.

Kaguya's about two genius dumbasses on a student council trying to trick each other into admitting romantic affection (because, as the narrator tells us, the one who admits to being in love first... loses!).

Spy X Family is about a family where the father is a spy, the mom's an assassin, and the daughter is a telepath... but no-one except the daughter knows any of that, and since she's four, she's kind of an idiot.

And Chainsaw Man... well, it's right there in the title.

All three are very good, very funny, and have either upcoming or ongoing anime with higher-than-average production values. Probably worth a look at the first chapters to see if you like them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

The magazine it’s published in does ten issues a year, so yeah it’s a bit slower than your average monthly

Ten issues, and a relaxed attitude towards authors missing a month if they feel like it. Harta's a magazine for people who do good manga, but don't want the hellish deadlines you get with weeklies. It's had a lot of good stuff over the years, but it also means there's a lot of waiting for the readers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scholtz posted:

I'm really starting to distrust this winged lion guy

Okay, you're going to have to walk back a few steps here, because you're not making any sense.

Jerkface posted:

:yeshaha:

Theyre gonna kill and eat the demon

I mean, worked for Denji.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

We already know the plan is for Senshi to cook Laios a traditional meal from his home town. Chilchuck's scathing lecture will give Senshi all the time he needs to prepare it and the Winged Lion will be unable to resist the allure of delicious home cooking.

And, importantly...

He didn't say what the meal was. Unspoken plans are the most successful plans.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

i don't think they were even wrong in treating everyone like idiot children. obviously, people keep going into dungeons and asking demons for wishes. no amount of warnings or education could ever change this.

that they were correct and justified has nothing to do with how big of jerks they are in general, though.

"You're not wrong Walter. You're just an rear end in a top hat."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, to be fair, it's not the sexiest demonic entity I've seen defeated by erotic cannibalism at the climax of a manga, so it trying to overcome the gap by trying harder makes sense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I appreciate the magazine giving Kui time to wrap up this final plot point instead of just rushing things to their conclusion. There are so many other series where everything that's happened since the lion would be squished into a single chapter.

The thing with the captain also made me smile.

Harta's well known for being one of the most flexible manga magazines out there. It lets authors skip months if they want, set their own chapter lengths, and otherwise handle things how they like more than the usual.

Probably helps explain why it's getting all this nice room to breathe.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

Laius should become the king so that he can refuse Marcille's extradition.

He could probably negotiate for her sentence being served on the island, at least.

He also, despite being, well, Laius, seems like he could do a good job. He cares about the people under his authority, he's willing to listen to people who know more than him, and he's highly respected by all relevant factions.

Traditionally, people who don't want to be in charge make the best kings.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Burger King

TGI Spidey's.

It will fail as the main and only result of the demon's curse.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scholtz posted:

I don't even really mind the batch-releases (they're actually better for the consumer overall rather than weekly episodic releases) but JoJo p6 getting it's first bit released, then nothing for 9 months, then the final batch being 3 months after that was just stupid. If it was one batch every 3 months or something it would've been fine.

It might be better for the consumer, but it's much worse for the show. Even highly popular shows like Edgerunners disappear from public conversation faster with full dumps, and less popular shows can vanish entirely.

Think about Odd Taxi. Thanks to the week-to-week, it went from some obscure no-name anime to one of the seasonal favorites. DnD here is in a better spot thanks to the studio and the manga, but it could still hurt its ability to gain a new audience.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The really nice thing?

We're less than six months away from the anime releasing, so withdrawal isn't quite as bad as it would be otherwise.

What a good manga. What a nice ending.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Good trailer. Looks much more 'Trigger' than the manga preview, which is interesting, but it still mostly keeps to the manga's style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scholtz posted:

I think they just liked eating monsters and were looking for an excuse tbh

Well, Laios was.

Everyone else just kind of got dragged along.