Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

copy posted:

I love this part of it so much. The author does a great job making it a real world that makes sense with its own logic. In my life of playing tabletop RPGs, it's probably the best take on "Gygaxian Naturalism" I've ever seen. It's really refreshing and fun, and does a good job of making things seem magical and full of wonderment/terror.

Also bringing back past jokes/characterization and re-contextualizing them with new information.

Like with Chilchak being treated as a kid because he's a halfling when he is in fact, an adult (and older than Laius: 'Mister Chilchak!')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Putting this here from the generic thread because I looked it out for another place.

Also because it's still neat as all getout.

https://twitter.com/2bitCrook/status/944332349650632706

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Brought To You By posted:

I don't think any manga series that has had this many chapters has stayed as "good" as it used to be and it feels like Oda will have to write for another decade to finish this story out when we have so many more things to cover like the possible and impending global war that could break out.

When you get to be as long as Dragonball or One Piece, consistency stops becoming a good thing and transitions into a bad thing. It doesn't matter how consistently sensational or crazy an experience gets because people will get used to it.

With each new piece of info we are approaching what feels like a final confrontation although it's still a ways off.

There's also a significant amount of backfilling going on. We've gotten tiny tastes of all the different cultures in Dungeon Meshi, either by quick one-off statements or asides about people's pasts. Then as part of the downtime/release from each threat the party has faced we've gotten a bit more knowledge about the world, either from the things the party cooks or the anecdotes of the past that flesh out the characters more. We learned Sureau was from The East and then we got an experience of just how East it was from when his party showed up.
We've gotten tastes about Gnomes and Halflings and a snippet about the Elves from things Chilchak and Mikbell, which was developed in Kabru's past and cemented by the Elf Expedition showing up.
Similarly, we've gotten tastes of Dwarven stuff from Namari's backstory and general setting flavor and now Senshi's set to backfill us a bit on that (and the Dungeon too!)

And any/all of this information we're getting is the potential to be something great, such as Laius' Amazing Trick, which went as thus: offhand mention -> unveiling -> short flashback explaining why this is possible & filling in a bit of history on Laius and Farlyn.

After all, it's good writing to do multiple things at once.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Welp.

Time for Episode 2 of 'Laius is a Dog' Boogaloo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Today was a good day to binge this.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I really do have to question why Toshiro made the signal device a bell and not something less prone to signalling while in motion. Hell, a scroll with some condition for conveying a message would seem more up their alley and less annoying.

A bell is incredibly simple and easy to use.

Laius is still messing it up.

And you want him to read a magic scroll!?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Uhh, Nerd Elf is a redundant statement. Elves are either hippies or nerds.

They're also universally arseholes. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Lots of good stuff this chapter, and Senshi's cooking Analogy makes sense. The metaphoric act of consumption is taking something and making it part of yourself, overwriting it's own identity.
I'm also thinking that this will be the real solution to the dungeon vis a vis who gets to control/own it: everyone who partakes of the dungeon and thus takes it into themselves :v:

Squidster posted:

Poor Laius is so wonderfully thick he never realized his incredibly gifted sister gave up everything to protect him. Have we seen Marcille and Laius's first meeting before?

That small center panel in the "and that continued until the present day" is pretty much it. The gist is pretty easy to get that Marcille got rather concerned when Farlyn skipped out to help Laius and tracked her down and was rather upset before tagging along.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Don't forget from a previous chapter that Farlyn wrote him letters so he did keep in contact.

Much like how she kept in contact with their parents :v:

Farlyn: thoughtful to a fault.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The genociding has already been done.

After all, what happens with an uneven distribution of wealth when there's a very even distribution of the desire for wealth :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

EimiYoshikawa posted:

As far as I can recall, we haven't seen a single confirmed male elf in the series thus far, I mean, other than Marcille's (presumed) father's existence.
Here's a potential devil-in-the-details thing that only just now occurred to me after the latest chapter and the reposting of how the cast looks as different races.
Is it just me or does Marcille have slightly rounder ears than all the elves we've seen? Combine that with her dad dying young and what her mom told her then might she actually be a half-elf?

Looking back no, she does seem to have the same style of ears as Fionel way back in the beginning, but they're also way, way less detailed then. So that's a bust.

Related: the captain's ears aren't just hidden under her hair. They seemed to be way, way shorter than they should be. And in the surgical sense, not that they're naturally supposed to be that short.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

amigolupus posted:

Is anyone else getting some anti-capitalism vibes from the manga?

Nah, it's more generic greed. The services wouldn't have moved in if the dungeon wasn't profitable and if the dungeon wasn't profitable there wouldn't be a whole bunch of people from various walks of life (most being poor for one reason or another) going in and bringing the wealth out for those services to work.

The resurrection dudes taking advantage of the system to make more money than they should is again, mostly greed. After all the system is there to support adventurers going into the dungeon in the first place.

Also the dungeon being an infinite source of monster food/golem veggies is becoming a dubious prospect now, since Kabbru keeps filling us in that this isn't the first time he's seen these events happen and further confirming that the dungeon itself is facilitating this (Senshi's claim that the dungeon works on the desire of the people in it is also reinforced with the Weapons Master (AKA Namari's dad) going nuts at the end there.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

There's no reason the Mad Sorcerer can't be here, causing trouble, but it feels like a bit of narrative convenience. And yes, there might be a reason for it, like getting tipped off by the king's son, but it still feels sudden in a way that subconsciously bugged me.

Again, not a huge deal (though apparently huge enough I felt the need to write about it). Just trying to air out my thought process?
You're right in that it is narratively convenient. However in my mind this seems to be a build up to a conflict that answers a bunch of ancillary questions. Namely:

Exactly how powerful is the Mad Sorcerer? (Compare and contrast him and this just-demonstrated crack team of elves.)
Related: What happens when Elf Team 6 meets Laius & Co.? (Depends on how this conflict goes.)
Also related: Why Laius & Co. need the help of the Winged Lion beyond 'they've been kind of bumbling through this whole thing and 'There is a Prophecy!''

There's also what happens when the Mad Sorcerer finds out that Derghal left the Dungeon to get out of the Curse of Immortality(tm)? (Which is a continuation on the plot thread that was left hanging when he was all 'hey Yado, who were you talking to?')

The suddenness is also an indication of an increase in tension, like how time bomb clocks always seem to tick faster when you're defusing them :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

A party member's DARK AND SECRET AND ALSO DARK PAST revealed.

And its Chilchak's three kids all grown up and independent, one of them even looking after their mom. Daw.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

HUMPTY DUMPTY RISES ABOVE YOU ALL!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Senshi finds you all to be... Acceptable ingredients.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

What do cat's love most?

What did Laius say they like?

Izutsumi cannot fail in this.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Or she is going to scream uncontrollably because they're the Elf Death Squad.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's hard not to be suspicious, considering the Winged Lion ticked off two boxes on the 'I'm not actually benevolent, I'm helping you to help me' twist bingo. I mean, 'imagine what it would be like' is one of the oldest aggressive sales tricks in the book. Also 'beware this entity that has lots of experience dealing with this stuff and also knows more than you do about what's actually going on' is hard to take at face value, even if Laius and co. already have good reasons to beware them.

In addition to Senshi's warning about how the dungeon works on their desires, don't forget Kabbru's experience with Utaya plus how he convinced the Canaries to go down there as a squad in the first place. They all but danced around the answer to one of the main groups questions from way back when: 'what does the dungeon eat?'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I think I see how things are going to go.

Laius: hey lion i really, really, really want to know something
Lion: oh boy oh boy tell me, tell me, i wanna know what do you wanna know i will tell you what you want to know!
Laius: how do you taste?
Lion: wait what
Lion: OH NO

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Remember, a balanced diet is key to a healthy life.

A survey of adventurer's found that they all brought similar desires into the dungeon: Wealth. Fame. Power (and Other.) It's a crying shame!
Just adding a side of 'i wish i wasn't half-beast anymore' or 'i don't want to see my friends die of old age before i do' would make a huge difference. Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Just blindly stuffing your face isn't enough.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Good times. I liked the way they stopped the Phoenix from doing it's thing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

mdct posted:

You know an extended monty python joke being treated with deadly seriousness was not something I was expecting, but I'll take it.

It's a reference of that reference even. Because Vorpal Bunnies had that as potential inspiration, plus in DnD/tabletop roleplay parlance, Vorpal is an effect which basically means instant decapitation.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

My first mention of Kobolds was when they were dogperson-shaped Cobalts in Lufia/Lufia 2. Hooray janky translation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Alacron posted:

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PriNj4gtwBs
For best effect listen to this music while reading chapter.

Alternatively: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V90AmXnguw

It's Dungeon Thriller!