Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Sneak Lemming posted:

I started playing eve again too, and I've tried all the big mmo's SWTOR, Star Trek, ESO, WoW, Guildwars - basically just looking for anything that will give me that old feeling I used to have playing MMOs - the feeling like anything could happen and you could go anywhere.
I think I fell in love with the promise of MMOs and then when I got older I realised that MMOs were lovely versions of singleplayer RPGs. I can't figure out why I'm constantly disappointed by MMO gameplay, there's just something about the hotbar, floaty movement and disconnectedness in MMOs that bores me to tears.

Eve is Eve, it doesnt feel like a MMO. Maybe eventually there will be some great universal MMO that isnt hotbar nonsense.

same here pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

cmdrk posted:

same here pretty much

Ya I tried Black Desert since it went free on steam. I just cant help but compare the combat in the game to something like dark souls. Why is mmo combat so awful, I don't understand.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The good game devs made MMOs and then moved on to other projects. The current MMO devs are simply maintaining what their betters made. They don't want to make their own video game, they want to make their own world of warcraft.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

PookBear posted:

The good game devs made MMOs and then moved on to other projects. The current MMO devs are simply maintaining what their betters made. They don't want to make their own video game, they want to make their own world of warcraft.

You do not wanna know how true this is.

Dev's at Blizzard can best be described as the lowest paid people we could get who live in the area. This team needs someone who mains a class to build a rotation for said class and often fails to understand the experimentation and failures (or success) of the past parts of the MMO. The core game designers have mostly all gone onto new stuff and sometimes use that as a selling point "from the people who build WOW". The old days of Bliz held games till they were done, at least paid someone to keep up on the lore and more. Today "Fun trumps lore" wins arguments in meetings.

All of this is assuming you can get people who won't try to just play WOW all day long.

Experimentation is almost all gone now, We cant have a new BRD not because of the mechanics but simply because a few old designer said it failed and all dungeons must be in the format of long single lines, designed so they can be time trialed and sprinted through at breakneck speed.

If a new team seriously wanted to make a new real MMO your talking a 100 mil endeavor that needs a super strong lead team with a very strong specific vision. This is not something the market even thinks can be done anymore.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

You do not wanna know how true this is.

Dev's at Blizzard can best be described as the lowest paid people we could get who live in the area. This team needs someone who mains a class to build a rotation for said class and often fails to understand the experimentation and failures (or success) of the past parts of the MMO. The core game designers have mostly all gone onto new stuff and sometimes use that as a selling point "from the people who build WOW". The old days of Bliz held games till they were done, at least paid someone to keep up on the lore and more. Today "Fun trumps lore" wins arguments in meetings.

All of this is assuming you can get people who won't try to just play WOW all day long.

Experimentation is almost all gone now, We cant have a new BRD not because of the mechanics but simply because a few old designer said it failed and all dungeons must be in the format of long single lines, designed so they can be time trialed and sprinted through at breakneck speed.

If a new team seriously wanted to make a new real MMO your talking a 100 mil endeavor that needs a super strong lead team with a very strong specific vision. This is not something the market even thinks can be done anymore.

yeah it seems like its an extremely risky venture. i feel like a lot of games just roll with smash-face-on-keyboard combat because it's relatively easier (and much less expensive) to have hotbar + fixed round length combat than implementing a true "Souls-like" game that compensates for network latencies and all of that jazz. If you go back to Everquest, for example, everything operates on a 6 second world tick - that's an eternity in Souls combat. On the flip side.. I did have a very enjoyable experience of playing P1999 with someone who was on a goddamn airplane and playing an Enchanter like a boss for the duration of his flight. TECHNOLOGY! :allears:

then again, Planetside 2 exists and that's pretty impressive. Just not probably worth the money they spent to develop the crazy server tech for an MMOFPS.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Isn't a MMOFPS the type of game the creator of EVE Online keep trying to make?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

BexGu posted:

It was on the PS3. Myself and the three people who played it enjoyed it.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

BexGu posted:

They still do not quite know how to mix the 2 games successfully.

Walking in stations was also an attempt, they have like 4 failed FPSes at this point as well as a failed VR game and a few other things.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PyRosflam posted:

The core game designers have mostly all gone onto new stuff and sometimes use that as a selling point "from the people who build WOW".

All of these MMOs have been a failure too.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

I said come in! posted:

All of these MMOs have been a failure too.

Yep, mostly because it costs around 100 mil to even do an attempt and you can always end up like wildstar because your vision was that classic wow was not hardcore enough.

You need the discipline of old blizzard, the capital of Amazon or Microsoft, and the vision of some guy (girl) not named Brad or Garriott, and you have to do something new to the market with an addictive mechanic to even roll the dice.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

BexGu posted:

Dust 514 wasn't a MMO. It reached for a scale like planetside but it fell short and every game map felt like a small battlefield map.

Planetside 2 and Elite and those FPS survival games like Dayz and Rust and Tarkov. All have come close to being a MMO but none have the most key thing a MMO needs to have - true persistence. It kills me because if you say MMO to people these days, they imagine a hotbar game with floaty combat and boring quests. They don't imagine a huge open world, persistent game.

Everyone always says, it isn't possible, there would be too many people, you HAVE to instance everything, but it just sounds like bullshit. Surely there is a technical way around it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sneak Lemming posted:

Everyone always says, it isn't possible, there would be too many people, you HAVE to instance everything, but it just sounds like bullshit. Surely there is a technical way around it.

I mean sure there are ways 'around' it but realistically those ways around it are just things like micro-instancing like how Bethesda games work on their cell system. I'm sure someone can go into more gory details but realistically no, the tech to support a fully open, fully uninstanced 2000+ player world does not currently exist within any scope that a video game studio would pay for.

Like I said in the new world thread, you can't just magically pump more internet into a thing to make it go better, similarly there are limits to computation and once you hit those limits the answer becomes instancing. Or a supervillain lair level supercomputer.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Orv posted:

I mean sure there are ways 'around' it but realistically those ways around it are just things like micro-instancing like how Bethesda games work on their cell system. I'm sure someone can go into more gory details but realistically no, the tech to support a fully open, fully uninstanced 2000+ player world does not currently exist within any scope that a video game studio would pay for.

Like I said in the new world thread, you can't just magically pump more internet into a thing to make it go better, similarly there are limits to computation and once you hit those limits the answer becomes instancing. Or a supervillain lair level supercomputer.

Technically those super computers exist that can run the amount of data your talking about, most of them are mainframes and others are using servers with direct CPU memory access. EvE online uses a version of this for 100+ players (actully about 1000) in a single area.

Other games get around some of this via peer to peer communication (which can be hacked), localized or dynamic localized communication (say for example only showing you stuff inside 100 feet of your toon) and my fav, ensuring you cant win if you blob via spread out victory points.

PyRosflam fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 2, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
My main takeaway though is that if no-one is paying to make MMOs in the first place anymore, they're certainly not gonna spend the money on some sort of monolithic ultra-EVE setup.

Also let's be fair here, yes 1000 people can be in an instance in EVE. It ain't pretty.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I feel like a wow-clone today could actually make a fair bit of money. For a while there they were coming out like crazy, but it's been pretty slow lately and a lot of people are probably tired of the same group of MMOs that have been around forever. I've been fooling around on Warhammer Online lately and it's sad because I feel like they were so close to greatness but just didnt' quite get there.

I know Wildstar failed, but that seemed more like designer incompetence than people not being interested.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the problem is that KMMOs are usually all so close to being a good game. It’s like every MMO is 80% complete for some reason. And they can’t even keep the P2W poo poo away that destroys and splinters the end-game community. Since there’s so many of them, it makes it seem like MMOs have to bad games or predatory or whatever.

Just make a solid dungeon crawler, temper expectations, and maybe have some territory control or whatever, gee.

jokes fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 3, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I feel like a wow-clone today could actually make a fair bit of money. For a while there they were coming out like crazy, but it's been pretty slow lately and a lot of people are probably tired of the same group of MMOs that have been around forever. I've been fooling around on Warhammer Online lately and it's sad because I feel like they were so close to greatness but just didnt' quite get there.

I know Wildstar failed, but that seemed more like designer incompetence than people not being interested.

I mean, XIV is a WoW clone that actually learns from its mistakes and makes changes (mostly) that players want and it's the second most popular MMO now, I believe? Second only to the undying juggernaut that is WoW's corpse as it slowly, far too slowly, rots.

Whether or not X person wants XIV itself is of course a whole other thing and beside the point.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 4, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want a top down 2D MMO again. All of the current ones running are extremely outdated and janky now though.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm playing both versions of wow and trying to get back into EVE. Mmos are fun.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

I said come in! posted:

I want a top down 2D MMO again. All of the current ones running are extremely outdated and janky now though.

Isn't that what Albion Online is?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sneak Lemming posted:

Isn't that what Albion Online is?

Kind of? I played at start and it was just a zergfest. Maybe they fixed that with quests and stuff but there was no content besides pick plants and do 5 man pvp free dungeon

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The fact that you can play Albion Online on a phone should tell you all you need to know about that game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The fact that you can play Albion Online on a phone should tell you all you need to know about that game.

This is really damning.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I am currently playing FFXI and it's actually pretty dope at this late stage in the game's life. Probably has two years left before they flip it off or officially enable legacy mode but there's a ton of content to do from the last 16 years of development and it's a lot more accessible than ever before. I've been playing a week and i've got a job at level 40, gear, gil from goons, etc. it's in a great place right now if you can ignore the dick-smashingly irritating login system.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a way to play Lineage 1 in english still? I know officially the American version no longer exists, but apparently the game is still massively popular in South Korea.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
MMOs used to be my favorite genre. Now with a growing family and career I have no time for them. If I had the time I’d be playing EVE.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Did they finally add that? I remember launch, that was the justification for the bad controls.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Monthly I want to play Wildstar again post inserted here.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If all people who want to play Wildstar actually played, it would have never shutdown.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jabro posted:

If all people who want to play Wildstar actually played, it would have never shutdown.

Not really cause I want to play it and played it up until the day it shut down! :v:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I played Wildstar once but figured out they'd offered a free max lvl boost just 1 day before I installed so I got pissed off and left

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

Not really cause I want to play it and played it up until the day it shut down! :v:

The ultimate proof you didn't is that you actually want to play it. Nobody who played it wants anywhere near that televisual shitheap

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

KirbyKhan posted:

Did they finally add that? I remember launch, that was the justification for the bad controls.

I don't know and I don't wanna know

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was there was a new actual interesting MMO in development. Right now all I can find are vaporware kickstarters.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

I said come in! posted:

I was there was a new actual interesting MMO in development. Right now all I can find are vaporware kickstarters.

whats your ideal mmo?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sneak Lemming posted:

whats your ideal mmo?

Ones that are not vaporware kickstarters that are obvious scams.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Sneak Lemming posted:

whats your ideal mmo?

Korean MMOs several years past their expiration date and repackaged for NA

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Korean MMOs several years past their expiration date and repackaged for NA

Oh yeah baby.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sneak Lemming posted:

whats your ideal mmo?

The one where all other mmos are dead except Ultima Online pre-trammel.

I would also accept DAOC2, or a WAR rebirth that has three sides instead of two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Freakazoid_ posted:

The one where all other mmos are dead except Ultima Online pre-trammel.

I would also accept DAOC2, or a WAR rebirth that has three sides instead of two.

Having just 2 sides was probably one of WARs biggest mistakes. Well that and launching right before Wrath of the Lich King.