Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

Korean MMOs several years past their expiration date and repackaged for NA

This, but Phantasy Star Online 2.

Speaking of, Lost ARK western release has been canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Having just 2 sides was probably one of WARs biggest mistakes. Well that and launching right before Wrath of the Lich King.

It didn't help that the zone adventures events could not be done without at least a tank/healer and/or a poo poo ton of people. GW2 got away with it since they don't have tank/healers and allowed for dynamic scaling.

If you missed the first wave of people leveling up you were fucccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddd.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

BexGu posted:

It didn't help that the zone adventures events could not be done without at least a tank/healer and/or a poo poo ton of people. GW2 got away with it since they don't have tank/healers and allowed for dynamic scaling.

If you missed the first wave of people leveling up you were fucccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddd.

Yeah. A lot about the PvE seemed poorly thought out. Even on the currently jam packed return of reckoning server I hardly see people ever doing PQs (or PvE in general) outside of the 1-20 zones.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's a shame WAR got PvE wrong because I think they were the first to try the public quest model. But it's not like WAR wasn't a PvP game anyway. Thankfully GW2 got it right.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

RIFT did a fantastic job on public quests. i'd say RIFT was the best MMO in the post-wow hotbar model from like 2011-2013 or so, but then trion ran it into the ground more thoroughly than any other mmo. the RIFT "prime" classic server they tried in 2018 was a hilarious disaster, like they couldn't even code the most basic things so the server was both barely functional and a pathetic attempt to patchwork back in old mechanics using the contemporary game engine or whatever

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Honestly I don't even mind hotbar MMO style as long as they realize that's not the main draw. Eve online and FFXI both have pretty boring combat from a mechanics point of view and are instead more methodical which lends itself well to the social aspect of MMOs.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Frog Act posted:

I am currently playing FFXI and it's actually pretty dope at this late stage in the game's life. Probably has two years left before they flip it off or officially enable legacy mode but there's a ton of content to do from the last 16 years of development and it's a lot more accessible than ever before. I've been playing a week and i've got a job at level 40, gear, gil from goons, etc. it's in a great place right now if you can ignore the dick-smashingly irritating login system.

I loving loved FFXI because the devs were this uncaring god that created the game but didn't really give a poo poo how players accomplished things. End game content had multiple ways to do it and most of it allowed you to just keep throwing more people at it if you wanted to. No specific composition was ever forced on the playerbase the way that FFXIV does.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FFXI is still like that. I am playing the game again despite everything in my brain telling me not to. In comparison to many years ago, there are a lot of quality of life improvements, but FFXI is still really hard, and confusing.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Is it free now? or is it some hacked together mod?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sneak Lemming posted:

Lots of private servers for when the level cap was 75. Everyone wants to experience hardcore FFXI when it wasn't solo friendly.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sneak Lemming posted:

there's been a few private servers that have made it big but I, and most other goons, it seems, are playing retail. as I Said Come In! alluded to, it's still hard and extremely complicated, but is doable solo and without an outrageous time investment. I have maybe an hour a day to play, 3-4 hours a day on weekends if I'm lucky, and I'm already RDM level 50 and making progress in quests

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is there a Planetside 2 thread?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How did Temtem turn out? I felt like it had a ton of hype and then dropped off a cliff

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I said come in! posted:

FFXI is still like that. I am playing the game again despite everything in my brain telling me not to. In comparison to many years ago, there are a lot of quality of life improvements, but FFXI is still really hard, and confusing.

I tried but just doing the missions again was a loving chore

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PookBear posted:

This week I learned that you can summon up to 4 Trusts almost right away, and takes no effort. Once you get your 4 trusts summoned, the game is much easier.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

PookBear posted:

disagree, the missions have been very fun with trusts and a good, solid level advantage

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blessed Unleashed launched exclusive for Xbox One yesterday. Its about as good as you would expect an Xbox One exclusive MMORPG to be (not good at all).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How's "Astellia"? Anyone have experience with what is sure to be a nothing MMO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jokes posted:

How's "Astellia"? Anyone have experience with what is sure to be a nothing MMO.

It's a mobile MMORPG but for PC in that it has the mechanic where the game will play for you.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

I said come in! posted:

It's a mobile MMORPG but for PC in that it has the mechanic where the game will play for you.

since you seem to have played every mmo, can you tell me if there is an active mmofps that is a real mmo and not dayz?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
PlanetSide 2

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Glenn Quebec posted:

PlanetSide 2

planetside 2 is less of a mmo than dayz

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I'd say that PS2 handles the massively multiplayer online part pretty well. Nothing else has that scope of combines arms combat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sneak Lemming posted:

since you seem to have played every mmo, can you tell me if there is an active mmofps that is a real mmo and not dayz?

Neocron 2.0 but it's ultra dated and old. http://www.neocron-game.com/

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sneak Lemming posted:

planetside 2 is less of a mmo than dayz

:psyduck:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Planetside 2 classified as an MMO is weird to me because its strictly PvP only. But also so what.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
It just doesnt feel like a mmo, it feels like scifi battlefield

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

What's it lacking to not qualify for massive multiplayer online

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think you'll find the definition of MMO has lost all meaning.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I guess Planetside 2 does fit the definition of an MMO. The term does get thrown around too loosely though. Destiny 2 for example is absolutely not an MMO.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

Is there a Planetside 2 thread?

There was one but it's been inactive for quite a while.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Neverwinter Online is just instanced areas, right? You can't meet strangers while you're doing stuff, like in WoW? It being on consoles is probably the reason, if true.

E:

Apparantly it's just called Neverwinter. Okay then.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I said come in! posted:

I guess Planetside 2 does fit the definition of an MMO. The term does get thrown around too loosely though. Destiny 2 for example is absolutely not an MMO.

I agree 100% and I also agree with the previous poster about it losing all meaning.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
People refer to games like Division 2 as Live Games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Neverwinter Online is just instanced areas, right? You can't meet strangers while you're doing stuff, like in WoW? It being on consoles is probably the reason, if true.

E:

Apparantly it's just called Neverwinter. Okay then.

Neverwinter works very similarly to how WoW does instancing, its just not a seamless open world like WoW is, but most MMORPGs are not.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

People refer to games like Division 2 as Live Games.

This. Division 2, Destiny 2, Anthem(lol), etc. are all Live Service Games, they are online only games but you won't run into hundreds of players at once (16-32 players at most usually depending on the game). They are still the same concept as an MMO though, constant content updates that go on for years assuming people play them and there are whales eating up everything in the cash shop.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Neverwinter works very similarly to how WoW does instancing, its just not a seamless open world like WoW is, but most MMORPGs are not.

This. Division 2, Destiny 2, Anthem(lol), etc. are all Live Service Games, they are online only games but you won't run into hundreds of players at once (16-32 players at most usually depending on the game). They are still the same concept as an MMO though, constant content updates that go on for years assuming people play them and there are whales eating up everything in the cash shop.

Have Live Service games defeated server emulation projects? The game client and server backend changes seem to be more fine-grained and quickly moving now. How do I go back in time to play any of these games on release (not that any of them are any good)?

I want to start packet capturing these bad games so some intrepid goons in the future can emulate them :(

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

I said come in! posted:

you won't run into hundreds of players at once

There are plenty of traditional style MMORPGs that you can say the same for. It would be hard to argue that in such games where they use all the other MMO tropes, like tab targetting and quest - dungeon - raid, that they are not MMORPGs simply because you dont get to see 100s of people at once.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sneak Lemming posted:

There are plenty of traditional style MMORPGs that you can say the same for. It would be hard to argue that in such games where they use all the other MMO tropes, like tab targetting and quest - dungeon - raid, that they are not MMORPGs simply because you dont get to see 100s of people at once.

You're leaving out the greater context of my point. Game as a Service titles restrict them to very small player numbers intentionally. They are smaller games. All of Division 2 combined is smaller than a single leveling zone in World of Warcraft. A traditional MMO will always have the potential to see hundreds of players on screen at once. Some modern day ones will restrict this in leveling areas as a quality of life feature so players are not competing over enemies to kill. Most MMOs though you wont see this because most MMOs are dead which is how it should be. :v:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I said come in! posted:

This week I learned that you can summon up to 4 Trusts almost right away, and takes no effort. Once you get your 4 trusts summoned, the game is much easier.

to clarify I tried doing them again on a custom server capped at lvl 75

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Xun posted:

How did Temtem turn out? I felt like it had a ton of hype and then dropped off a cliff

Temtem's still chugging along but a lot of the magic went out the window when it became clear that the next few islands won't be out for a couple of months and all that remains is increasing levels of unfun grind, especially while they try to work out how they want the formal competitive scene to look like. Kinda hard to tell if the game's just in hibernation until the next big content update or on the decline for good though.

https://crema.gg/temtem/content-roadmap/

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 16, 2020