Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

puberty worked me over posted:

I've always wanted to play through NWN and NWN2 with a full party for example but again finding people who actually want to do that is tough.

I've been wanting to do that with Baldurs Gate 2 for ages. Best I could ever manage was two sessions with three players. It's pretty fun just having everyone disperse as soon as you enter a district and part of the party is just doing regular RPG stuff wheras the rogues are cleaning out houses of their valuables on their own. I don't like the active time DnD combat very much in single player, but it really suits those games if you play them multiplayer.

Does NWN 2 even have the campaign available for multiplayer? I know that Storm of Zehir does, but I can't recall base NWN 2 offering the same options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
I'm playing OSRS, Maplestory 2, Albion Online and Vanilla WoW while I wait for Classic WoW.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

This is such a useful thread for me. It’s good to hear I’m not the only one who wants something from the MMO market that they’re not getting.

Personally, what I really want from the MMO is a group dungeon experience that has matchmaking with strangers (because I don’t have friends). Wow and FFIV probably provide the best I’m going to get for that content, but both feel like bigger commitments than I’m willing to make.

I try and fill the void with MOBAs and battle royale games, but the feeling just isn’t the same with PVP content.

Guess I’ll go back to single player rpgs...

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Frog Act posted:

Hello MMO HMO goons, if you are reading this it is likely you regard MMOs as like a special game genre that exists in a separate mental box from single player stuff and team based multiplayer games. for me its a persistent thing i like to have around for a few years that I can always log into and do something productive, irrespective of what I've got going on, where I switch up whatever I'm playing single/regular multiplayer wise fairly regularly

I haven't found a good enjoyable MMO to jump in, level, and raid / participate meaninguflly in group-oriented content with friends since RIFT came out in 2011 and its been turned into freemium garbage and will undoubtedly be gone soon. Legends of Ultima is very interesting but unpolished and I kinda bounced off it but will be trying it again in the next patch. SWTOR and STO suck rear end. ESO is bad, FFXIV and WoW are both expensive to catch up with, expansion wise, and languishing some

so are you guys even playing any persistent online games? if you are, what? will the genre ever be revitalized?

ive been playing project 1999 for like...eight years now? it's pretty good but maybe mmo's aren't for you in general.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 4, 2020

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

I like MMOs for the fact that you can jump into them repeatedly over time and have new and different stuff to do. Right now I'm playing WoW super casually, just logging on every couple of days for an hour or two to do world quests and casual group content like islands, warfront, or possibly whatever is the bonus content. That really works for me - I don't really feel pressured to spend a lot of time in the game, but I move some bars whenever I play and if I'm lucky will also get some rewards that I actually want. WoW would definitely be difficult to catch up with if you haven't played in a long time, so I get that. They do offer a character boost when you purchase the latest expansion, so you could just boost up a character and hop right in to the new stuff, but how much fun you have probably depends on what kind of content you want to do.

For me, that's the most important factor for a game is that I can jump in and out of it easily over time. I have a short attention span and tend to play a game for about a month (which usually ends up at around 20 hours playtime for me), then move on to something else. The genre is less important as long as it's one I enjoy playing. Heavily story-driven games are hard for me to come back to after stopping, so MMOs have been the games that scratch my RPG itch. I'll probably keep playing them off and on, as long as they continue to provide a casual RPG-like experience.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Real confused here as to why people poo poo on Classic WoW but are somehow okay with P1999.

Like, there was a reason why WoW straight up destroyed EverQuest and completely hosed over the entire genre for a decade.

Playing FF14 right now, considering GW2, but I got one dude to 80 back when it first came out, and for whatever reason can't really stand playing the game again, even though I know I really liked it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 4, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I don't get it either I really enjoyed Nostalrius when it was up and I itnend to play vanilla wow if its anything like that

shirunei posted:

ive been playing project 1999 for like...eight years now? it's pretty good but maybe mmo's aren't for you in general.

no the genre is just bad right now

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

puberty worked me over posted:

Yeah compared to every other MMO at the time it was incredibly more accessible and polished. In modern terms it's on par with a fairly generic F2P MMO. The only thing that still holds up today with 1.12.1 WoW is some of the scripting for the boss encounters and polished scripted quests.

Man, I'd like to know where the F2P MMOs are that are as good as Vanilla WoW. Apparently I've been missing on some halfway decent MMOs somewhere.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Nothing atm. I leveled a character in WoW BfA but unsubbed in just a few weeks because the end game activities were really lovely. To be honest the game barely felt like an RPG anymore due to how extensively they've dumdbed down stats, items, etc. It was fun questing in the new zones but that's about it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Here's a hot take: EQ time locked progression servers are a more fun experience than classic wow.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
This isn't a major criticism or anything, but apropos of people mentioning modern WoW, it makes me wish it was playable with a controller by default. I've seen people attempt to do that stuff with a boatload of addons, but it's kind of a crapshoot.
Many classes being designed around having strong short cooldowns and plenty of filler abilities that you spam on every global cooldown when all your other abilities aren't available is kind of a pain in the rear end on a keyboard. Doing button mashy stuff like that has always felt better with a controller.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

shouldn't wow be playable on mobile devices by now? like what's keeping them from releasing a potato version of the upcoming classic on mobile? maybe with separate servers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wow has a lot of strangely graphics intensive poo poo that for whatever reason makes it hard to run well on bad computers. The High-res textures and the glows around objects you interact with, those two things alone basically require a dGPU.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Zwiebel posted:

This isn't a major criticism or anything, but apropos of people mentioning modern WoW, it makes me wish it was playable with a controller by default. I've seen people attempt to do that stuff with a boatload of addons, but it's kind of a crapshoot.
Many classes being designed around having strong short cooldowns and plenty of filler abilities that you spam on every global cooldown when all your other abilities aren't available is kind of a pain in the rear end on a keyboard. Doing button mashy stuff like that has always felt better with a controller.

I really like FFXIVs take on controllers in an MMO. I wish more games would use it.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

Not trying to be a gatekeeping rear end in a top hat(and I might be reading you wrong at that), but if you're using WASD + Mouse, keybinding everything around WASD is pretty much SOP for playing MMOs. It's like playing the piano. A mouse with side buttons is also an absolute necessity.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

kloa posted:

I really like FFXIVs take on controllers in an MMO. I wish more games would use it.

After I played FFXIV with a controller, I tried to play WoW again and I realized I hated using M/KB so.. gently caress.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Brave New World posted:

Not trying to be a gatekeeping rear end in a top hat(and I might be reading you wrong at that), but if you're using WASD + Mouse, keybinding everything around WASD is pretty much SOP for playing MMOs. It's like playing the piano. A mouse with side buttons is also an absolute necessity.

I have plenty of keybinds using all those buttons, that wasn't the point.
And it especially isn't with modern WoW, since they've removed a ton of abilities from the game, leaving people with only a handful of buttons.
My point was that mashing buttons every global cooldown feels awful for a mouse and keyboard game whereas that kind of gameplay is fine if you're playing with a controller.

They've undertaken a lot of steps to make combat in WoW more actiony and involved, but WoW does not have an input queue like many games that require similar amounts of button mashing.
It makes sense that WoW doesn't have an input queue, given what the game used to be, but it just makes the combat feel awful to me. The trappings of an old school MMO are holding back the action game class design and the action game design is held back by the old school MMO. Being able to play with a controller by a default would make all the melee classes just feel so much better to me, especially with how crucial movement tends to be.

I do agree that a gaming mouse with side buttons could help with this issue to some extent.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
For those who have nothing to play, and never played UO, im having quite a bit of fun exploring this MMO i never played back when it was its era. This shard just released 2 days ago. https://uooutlands.com/

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

FFXI and EQOA on PS2 controllers were the most elegant input experiences I've ever had with any videogame ever

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

I have plenty of keybinds using all those buttons, that wasn't the point.
And it especially isn't with modern WoW, since they've removed a ton of abilities from the game, leaving people with only a handful of buttons.
My point was that mashing buttons every global cooldown feels awful for a mouse and keyboard game whereas that kind of gameplay is fine if you're playing with a controller.

They've undertaken a lot of steps to make combat in WoW more actiony and involved, but WoW does not have an input queue like many games that require similar amounts of button mashing.
It makes sense that WoW doesn't have an input queue, given what the game used to be, but it just makes the combat feel awful to me. The trappings of an old school MMO are holding back the action game class design and the action game design is held back by the old school MMO. Being able to play with a controller by a default would make all the melee classes just feel so much better to me, especially with how crucial movement tends to be.

I do agree that a gaming mouse with side buttons could help with this issue to some extent.

drat, I haven't played retail since WoD. I've heard BfA kinda sucks, but what you're saying makes it sound like it *REALLY* sucks.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 4, 2020

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

mike12345 posted:

shouldn't wow be playable on mobile devices by now? like what's keeping them from releasing a potato version of the upcoming classic on mobile? maybe with separate servers.
iirc it took them a long time just to get hearthstone on mobile semi-decent, and that's for a prime audience. MMOs are for old people who don't like phone gaming and just announcing a WoW port would probably get more backlash than interest. that £9.99/mo is tax money at work as far as most WoW players are concerned, you better be using it to fix their loot pinatas.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 30, 2018

Eltaggerung
Oct 29, 2011
Final alpha game of Starborne is about to start up, theres a few goons planning on playing. Slow paced MMORTS.

I don't feel like making a thread for it so ill just post some info here and maybe someone will want to take the time to make a good thread for it later.

tutorial vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=225vdecwgD0&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUg4zUMT0ld4-oV8yLaWi5exMcLjD51eP

Official discord: https://discord.gg/YVWMQTG

lovely goon discord from last alpha: https://discord.gg/V5DxuD7

Its a bit more user friendly this time around, main point being the build queues are time based so you don't have to babysit the game as much.

Eltaggerung fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 30, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does Destiny 2 count? Because if so, that's what I'm playing.

It makes me realize how much more I will put up with repetitive stuff any MMO/pseudo-MMO includes if the core gameplay is fun and feels good. It also helps that loot has features that make it more interesting than "is the number I care about higher?" I mean that big number is still there, sure, but it's not like FFXIV or something where the number is basically all I care about because Sword A does the same thing as Sword B.

Maybe it's just that it's inherently more satisfying to me if my main way of fighting enemies isn't abstracted into picking skills from a skill bar in the right order. Probably the same reason I could put up with grinding for gear on Bitterblack Isle in Dragon's Dogma.

Pyrok
Jan 31, 2013
Black Desert Online. I played WoW pretty hardcore on BFA release, but got burnt out on it pretty quickly, I'm the raid leader in my guild, so I log on 2 nights a week for raiding and that's it. All of the rest of my gaming time, I spend playing BDO. It's combat is really good, it's got a pretty novel gear upgrade system and you can leave the game online to make you money while you're at work or whatever. It is however very grindy, and has an amount of P2W with it's cash shop, however unless you're aiming to join the top 0.1% of the game, it'll literally never impact you, as you need to be willing to drop hundreds of dollars a month to benefit from the P2W stuff, really. The game itself is only $10, or you can get a free trial up to level 30 or something, well worth trying if any of you guys haven't yet.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Just stopped playing WoW after briefly subscribing to see BfA content. No other MMOs.

I will probably hop onto WoW Classic to soak in a little nostalgia, but I do not expect it to hold any long term interest for me. Vanilla WoW is the game that I look back on as the best gaming of my life, but that ties to two things that are physically impossible for WoW Classic to recapture.

1) Discovery. Blizzard took a world that I loved from the Warcraft RTS games and turned it into a fully fleshed out, discoverable universe. It was massive, and around every corner there was something new, cool and related to a world that I loved. I have discovered it all now though. I spent literally thousands of hours in it, and still occasionally go fly around the old zones, hop into out of the way caves, etc... for a minute or two for the nostalgia, but it will never be new again.

2) The place that I was in my life. During the best of my WoW times, I was in my early 20s, single, in great shape, working 30 hours a week waiting tables, making more than enough money for my one responsibility in the world (rent), with an obscene amount of free time that I could fill. Now, I'm in my mid 30's, married, put on about 20 pounds, work 50+ hours per week, have a mortgage, career, chores, and other hobbies. I loving love my life and consider myself incredibly fortunate, but "young and carefree" is not something I can get back to. I don't have more than mayyyyybe an hour a day on average I can game in. What I need now is a game that I can quickly jump in and out of, feel that I have made measurable progress, and never feel bad about not playing more.

Beyond even those two things, I am so worn out on the tab target combat system that I just won't even try an MMO that uses it anymore. The next MMO that I would be willing to try has to have a completely different set of combat mechanics. Destiny 1/2 are the closest to MMOs that I have played recently, and the combat mechanics are so loving good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Beyond even those two things, I am so worn out on the tab target combat system that I just won't even try an MMO that uses it anymore. The next MMO that I would be willing to try has to have a completely different set of combat mechanics. Destiny 1/2 are the closest to MMOs that I have played recently, and the combat mechanics are so loving good.

Yeah, I think at this point I just need my main way of interacting with the game world to be more direct and immediate. That extra layer of abstraction that tab-target, abilities-on-a-hotbar MMOs have has really worn out for me. Even games that take a faster-paced and more fluid approach, like Guild Wars 2, end up falling into the same category at this point.

Destiny 2 is working great for me because, even though I have a shorter ability list than I would in a more traditional MMO, I feel like my moment-to-moment gameplay has a lot more variety, probably because it's an extremely competent first-person shooter at its core and I can use a bunch of different weapons that all feel different. An action-based melee combat system would be great, too. A lot of MMOs have tried to spice up the "choose your ability from a hotbar" style of combat but eventually it's all still so abstracted that it starts to feel less satisfying to me than just getting in there and doing combos myself, things like that.

I'm still sort of waiting for the action/hack-and-slash equivalent to what Destiny did for the shooter-MMO. Destiny is a well-made FPS that feels great to play on a moment-to-moment basis and has fun loot and repeatable, MMO-style content. Give me that, but with a really satisfying, weighty action game.

I guess there's Monster Hunter World right there, now that I think about it, and I do love the hell out of that, but I'm talking more about something with dungeons or even "raids" (or, y'know, the relatively small team version of "raids" that Destiny has).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Brave New World posted:

Still faffing around WoW private servers. My side buttons do what they've always done; one autoruns, the other pulls out my weapons for dramatic effect.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Brave New World posted:

drat, I haven't played retail since WoD. I've heard BfA kinda sucks, but what you're saying makes it sound like it *REALLY* sucks.

Eh, wow doesn't suck. It's still the best themepark mmo anyone can play with sufficient depth to keep you interested

What sucks is blizzard entertainment. They are killing their own game by introducing multiple content droughts throughout their expansions which demoralize and cause the involved players to unsub

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

THE BAR posted:

Still faffing around WoW private servers. My side buttons do what they've always done; one autoruns, the other pulls out my weapons for dramatic effect.

The setup I've been using for years is to map all movement to the mouse, and use the keyboard exclusively for action hotbars. Core keys* are Q, W, E, A, S, D; with ctrl and shift as modifiers. Also I've mapped ctrl to the space bar (using autohotkey), it's more comfortable and using it for jumping seemed like a waste of space and ergonomics imho.

* Secondary stuff is 1-6, R, T, F, G

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

1) Discovery. Blizzard took a world that I loved from the Warcraft RTS games and turned it into a fully fleshed out, discoverable universe. It was massive, and around every corner there was something new, cool and related to a world that I loved. I have discovered it all now though. I spent literally thousands of hours in it, and still occasionally go fly around the old zones, hop into out of the way caves, etc... for a minute or two for the nostalgia, but it will never be new again.

This really resonates with me. That's why I am looking forward to the up and coming Diablo MMO (aka Diablo 4).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Moose_Knuck posted:

This really resonates with me. That's why I am looking forward to the up and coming Diablo MMO (aka Diablo 4).

A post-Diablo 3 MMO? Sounds pretty disgusting story- and atmosphere-wise.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Story-wise, probably. Ideally, I would hope they are not going for some type of blockbuster MMO and curb the edgier elements of the Diablo universe in an attempt to appeal to a younger crowd. Regardless, I am very interested in exploration and I think the Diablo world has a lot of potential for that.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm playing 20 year old emulated mmos

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hexel posted:

I'm playing 20 year old emulated mmos

I just thought of a cool story: Man travels back in time to play Everquest at the height of its popularity, accidentally reveals himself to the protagonist during some drunken raid antics or something

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Moose_Knuck posted:

curb the edgier elements of the Diablo universe in an attempt to appeal to a younger crowd.

I can't tell whether they spent the entire previous game making it the edgiest edge to ever edge, or if they had it filed down to perfect sphere. They kinda did both!

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second

THE BAR posted:

I can't tell whether they spent the entire previous game making it the edgiest edge to ever edge, or if they had it filed down to perfect sphere. They kinda did both!

Blizzard edge reminds me of, like, Mortal Kombat 4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHB93Wy_Kz8). The color palette, proportions, and general art style make it feel sort of childish regardless of the intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Breach is coming out soon and the Alpha rips rear end.