Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Not playing anything at the moment.

I think of MMOs as being divided into two separate categories of games: competitive/PvP games and traditional PvE/content focused games. I like both, but there's nothing I'm super interested in right now. I'm starting to think that I don't have enough free time to meaningfully play the competitive ones anymore either.

I most recently played some Asheron's Call emulator server - I really enjoy the throwback memories / game setting / open world nature and loot system, but it's too plagued by multi-accounting and botting for my liking. Once you plateau at mid-to-high level, you basically need to be botting to get worthwhile drops and materials. So I called it at that point - level 200 or so.

I also took some time to play on the EQ P1999 blue server. Also a lot of fun (a lot of nostalgia) but the grind is way too harsh to be enjoyable, so I stopped around level 15.

I've tried to get into more modern MMOs (with the exception of WoW) and I find them way too theme-park-esque for my liking. Stories I don't care about, unconvincing and contrived background, and transparently boring level/gear curves. Seen enough MMOs to have mostly broken free of the skinner box, and that's all most MMOs are these days. Still waiting on something that breaks from the typical mechanics MMOs are currently stuck in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Orv posted:

I'm the opposite, I hate questing and leveling with such an intense passion that that's what basically ended my interest in MMOs. Oh new MMO is out? Cool, let's try it. *15 minutes later after receiving a kill quest* Nope!

Yeah. The standard fare MMO content just isn’t engaging. Kill quests and level specific zones of roaming mobs and +1 +2 +3 style advancement is just boring as gently caress. I enjoy a skinner box as much as the next nerd but at least put a nice tablecloth over it before serving me the same old dogshit.

What I’ve always enjoyed about MMOs has been pretty much been written out of modern day games. Slow travel gave worlds depth and made cities feel distinct and distant. You felt tethered to the area you were in and subsequently developed roots and connections. Harsh death penalties gave worlds a sense of danger and through the risk brought forth all sorts of positive side effects. Mixed level content forced players to use a sense of judgement.

Like many others in this thread have said, I doubt I even have enough time to play that sort of game anymore. I’m lucky to get an hour a night to play games these days. But that’s the sort of game I miss when I reminisce... rose tinted glasses and all that.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

There’s an AC emulator up (Reefcull) that is pretty good if that gets your nostalgia going. It’s currently pre ToD (they’re recreating content and releasing it as it goes, so slow progression).