Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

so are you guys even playing any persistent online games? if you are, what? will the genre ever be revitalized?

I can't remember the last time I saw [users browsing] in this subforum above the twenties.

Whether that is a reflection of the decline of SA or that of the MMO industry itself... well. Does it really even matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Since Destiny 2 is currently completely free (active players must have tanked completely) I thought I'd grab a free copy from battle.net and give it a go.

It's okay. If I paid money for it I'd have felt disappointed. Boring - stopped playing after a couple hours. It tries to be some kind of epic saga but comes across as vague hand wave bullshit with terrible writing. The plot sucks, characters suck, game play is generic.

Not really an MMO but ehh close enough.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ossipago posted:

I'd probably wait until The Division 2 is out next year to experience it.

This is my plan. Didn't play the first but I'm planning to try #2 unless it gets bad feedback from the "social media influencers" I listen to who are generally accurate.

You might say it needs to be worth a buy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

puberty worked me over posted:

What's up with the fetishism for grinding? It's one thing to have content be challenging in terms of mechanical design. Completely another ballpark if it's tedious subscription elongation mechanisms (see lotro legendary weapon grinding).

https://www.simplypsychology.org/operant-conditioning.html

Pretend the rat in the cage has a wallet.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

idk I mean not that this makes the FFXI/Everquest model inherently better but it wasn't about wallets so much as it was about capturing a market of people with a staggering amount of free time and willingness to do mind numbing things (that I love) without the opportunity to bypass them with fresh cash

Yeah that's what operant conditioning does through reinforcement schedules.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Good Dumplings posted:

but isn't that what the grind was back when everything was subscriptions? except it wasn't so apparent since it was over time instead of immediate cash transactions

I don't know what you're asking. Grinding is grinding.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Remember Tera Online that old KMMO?

Remember PUBG that slightly less old battle royale?

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/tera-x-pubg

I'm the jeep asset that isn't even touching the ground properly in the promo screenshot.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Givin posted:

They are about to do to the Dune franchise what they did to the Conan one. Sad times indeed.

Make a low budget mini series? I'm confused, I thought they already did that.

Wait they did. I have the DVDs. (I recommend not buying either TV show if anyone is curious, even - nay especially - if you're a fan)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My Everquest Next experience:

Well that and all the fraud on the part of SOE & then later Daybreak.

Nice voxel builder. Not a game.

In case you're wondering - yes I was going to add little voxel crime scene body outlines on the ground but there was a wipe before I could do that and then I lost interest.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 20, 2020