Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Mariota had 5 dropbacks in Ravens territory on sunday and every one of them was a sack.

Jesus loving Christ I saw that he got sacked 11 times which is amazing, but I didn't see that he only had 15 attempts and 26 dropbacks all day. My lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Slowpoke! posted:

Good job, goons. We were recognized by Yahoo Sports.

Like that's hard, all you need to do is goatse Jeff Passan after he doesn't vote for Jeff Bagwell getting into the hall of fame. Then he calls your mom looking for you.

I'm inordinately proud of my very small part of this whole Gruden site and being a jerk and saying "hey maybe try this," after Azhais thought he was done with his funny little joke that we'd be the only ones to ever look at.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ELO Musk posted:

Is this what accomplishment looks like after 40 smdh

Eh, when you've already wasted the fun part of your life you take what you can get.

I am not the one who goatse'd a reporter about their hall of fame ballot if that's what you're talking about

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

Would San Diego welcome the Chargers back with open arms?

Minus the Spanos's I'd imagine yes. That requires a lot of sudden deaths though.

I don't think SD would as long as they own the team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

I looked for a quote of this and couldn't find it. Do you have it handy?

I think it comes from this SI piece.

quote:

“I don’t really like this area too much, to be honest. I loved San Diego. It was my kind of energy, my kind of vibe. It was a perfect place for me. Everything was perfect.”

I read something where he took it back later after he realized he'd actually given an opinion.

e: ha, another quote from that article that I hadn't actually read all the way through until now:

quote:

Khalil Mack, Gordon says, notched yet another strip sack for the Bears after being traded by the Raiders, out of the AFC West. “This man crazy, bro,” Gordon says of Mack. “I’m so happy he’s gone. Get him outta here, bruh.”

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 17, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ELO Musk posted:

How many plays does he know? Slants and Hail Mary?

He played for the Bills absolutely terrible offensive coordinator Brian Daboll in 2009-2010.

There is basically nothing other than a one year stint at Alabama as OC when he had an overwhelming talent advantage that looks good since then. Also worth noting he and Saban declined to play one of the more talented quarterbacks in the nation all year until the title game when they needed him.

So I'd imagine Derek knows Daboll's offense pretty well.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DariusLikewise posted:

I mean the Chiefs defense can't really get much worse, I don't think anyone can shape the players they have into a "good" defense though.

I'll buy that Hitchens could at least be aggressive in his not-goodness. Dude just like, hangs back and tackles people instead of heading towards a gap or having the ability to read and react in a productive way.

I don't remember if I actually posted it here but the guy is like a midrange safety now. His job is to not let people get too terribly far down the field, but he doesn't actually try to stop anyone anywhere near the line.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

I suppose hypothetically they could beat Kansas City but if any of you want to bet the over on points scored I'd probably recommend it.

This is generally true in any game Kansas City is involved in no matter the injuries for what it's worth.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

Oh, I'm aware, and also Cincinnati is habitually bad defending young quarterbacks, mobile quarterbacks, and offenses that tend to target the intermediate middle of the field. Good thing the Kansas City team doesn't have any of that. :v:

I'm going to consider anything less than 50 offensive points a victory for our defense this Sunday.

Andy also tends to feast on teams that can't manage an interior pass rush, but I don't anticipate them keeping up to that extent. If the Bengals don't do their typical poo poo the bed Primetime football thing I could see them putting up a ton of points but not that many.

We're obviously headed towards a completely inexplicable 10-6 game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Why has Buffalo not signed another quarterback?

Keep Peterman around as an emergency guy for a week or two while the new guy learns the offense a little, I'm fine with that. But outside of actual emergencies there is absolutely no way this man should ever see the field again.

e: I mean, I'd rather play Ryan Lindley and it isn't particularly close. Which is an amazing thing to say.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What is Mission Valley and why would it have been easy to build a stadium there?

I'd imagine this is the location San Diego offered to sell to Spanos if he built a stadium on it for $1, which Spanos called something like a slap in the face.

At least I know that's a thing they offered him and he refused in typical Spanos fashion.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

lindley is probably worse than peterman in that instead of throwing the ball into the dirt he throws them high and those are interceptable.

Check out the stats man, I was stunned. Peterman makes Lindley looks like Alex Smith as far as taking care of the ball is concerned.

He did not advance the ball well, but he didn't just throw picks constantly either which seems like a net gain.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Troy Queef posted:

The current rumor is that the Chargers most likely landing spot is St Louis, because of the ongoing lawsuit between STL City and the NFL over the Rams move.

Would they build that new stadium they approved to try to keep the Rams there if this happened?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Master Stur posted:

Wonder what dumb team is gonna look at this resume next year and decide he needs another shot

I feel like you eventually run out of chances. Of course while I say this I simultaneously think this is at least slightly unfair:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sam Bradford is also really bad, not a "fine veteran journeyman"

...because he had a small amount of success when healthy the last couple of years before this one and maybe the coaching made it impossible for anyone outside of someone like Peyton who was good enough to ignore the OC and call their own plays to succeed.

But both can probably be true at the same time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Fire Haley too if it's him I guess.

You want more playing time for Chubb? Well put him in the loving game (and fire Hue) you morons.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

At first, that Hyde trade is baffling, but shockingly, the Browns had lots of talent in the backfield. Looking forward to more Duke/Chubb.

I seriously loved that backfield. It gets worse without Hyde but it's still really damned good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

His production so far won't be matched of course, but I do think he has more of the physical tools you want than Hyde does.

I mean it's hard other than like, young Adrian Peterson or possibly Todd Gurley (or various all time greats obviously) to have more tools than Chubb has. I'll buy into the idea that he has no idea what he's doing in pass protection, but man they just never played a ridiculous talent up until now.

e: I'm apparently a lot higher on Chubb than scouts were after looking pre-draft stuff up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Newsome was on the practice squad so I am assuming he's with the team already

Does the practice squad travel with the team to away games? I don't see any reason they shouldn't, but at the same time this seems like a really rare situation where it would be important they did.

I guess with a London game you get there earlier and can actually use them in practice.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Docjowles posted:

This is the first thing I found on Google so may be totally wrong. But it says practice squad dudes can’t travel with the team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/09/06/a-refresher-on-how-nfl-practice-squads-work/?noredirect=on

What a weird rule if so. Who the hell cares?

I mean if you charter the plane anyway it's not even like they save money on plane tickets or whatever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chris James 2 posted:

They're gonna dress up his brother like him and act like he's still alive. Cowards

It's entirely possible the corpse of Joey Bosa is healthier than the corpse of Nick Bosa right now. That poor family has been through so much.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I could absolutely see Jerry Jones trading some value for Kelvin Benjamin.

I don't know, he doesn't have the track record of a Roy Williams.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

49ers national anthem had a stylized flag design with 15 stars.

If this is a joke or meaningful in some way I don't get it. Apparently this was a thing at one point (also 15 stripes), but long before California was around.

e: I'm going to be so annoyed when this is some joke I don't get because I've spent entirely too much time wondering. I briefly considered trying to get to 15 in some way honoring Dwight Clark, but the Catch was only a 6 yard TD. Maybe a 15 yard catch in the back of the end zone but that's idiotic. 87 is too many stars for anyone to count so they went for 8+7?

Just know that I preemptively hate you for this Spoeank.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 21, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Eh, yeah boring but one of the teams that could use him.

e: Well the first round pick makes it less boring.

Raiders going to have a lot of picks to waste.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Substandard posted:

A first seems nuts, and the Cowboys have some WRs already who seemingly might not be garbage. Hurns wasn't terrible prior to being in Dallas, Gallup looks intriguing.

Huh, I agree that Cooper is unlikely to fix a damned thing but I looked up Hurns and Gallup and they're the 8th and 10th worst in the league as far as catch% goes. Not sure if that's them or Dak (or the offensive scheme, which I'm sure doesn't help), but that seems bad. Both are sub 47%. They're also tied for 1st and 6th in least separation, so they're not getting open when thrown to either.

I originally went to look that up to see where Cooper was but he's been relatively solid this year, just short of 71% on targets and up toward the top of the league in separation. I believe separation only comes into play when they actually throw the ball to you, so I can buy into Carr just completely losing faith in Cooper.

None of this makes Cooper good or this trade make sense of course, but he might instantly be Dallas's second best receiver. Of course even if he is, that means he's not as good as Cole Beasley.

The NFL does a lot of dumb things but I should play around with the next gen stats more, they're always pretty fun to look at when I remember they're there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When did this happen?

Like yesterday, I just saw it too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

it's funny to imagine anyone solicits Garrett's input on personnel moves

I agree, but if you transported me back a few years it would have been pretty funny to imagine Jason Garrett still has a head coaching job in 2018.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

lol what the hell

I mean to be fair whoever wins the job you could probably us an upgrade at #2.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

DVOA is an extremely stupid way to measure this imo. Say you've got a really good team in a tough division, they are going to look like easy pickings even if they're not. Same goes the other way for teams that are in bad divisions. The Patriots have had one of the easiest schedules so far and their schedule will continue to be insanely easy for the rest of the season.

I think the FO party line would be that opponent adjustments are theoretically supposed to take care of this.

I have no real opinion here but if they worked correctly and DVOA was actually the best way to measure things it would make sense. Well I do have an opinion after thinking about it. They don't work correctly and DVOA isn't the actual best way to do this. But it's probably not the worst either.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Cassius Marsh is the only 49ers edge rusher and their 3 straight years on d line picks have produced one viable starter. There are no WR1s anywhere near this roster. The DBs outside of Sherman are a mess.

Niners problems run deep and a second quarterback at 2 ain't gonna fix them.

Apparently we need to start actually using that sarcasm font so that you wouldn't think I was saying you should use your possibly top 5 2019 NFL draft pick on a backup quarterback upgrade.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 22, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Barrett Ruud

Huh, I'd completely forgotten about him. He was okish for a while.

Apparently Scott Frost hired him and he's the ILB coach at Nebraska after being a QC coach at UCF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DariusLikewise posted:

What about that poster that made a bet that they would write a nice paragraph about the opposing teams quarterback after they lost and it was really funny. Then everyone started doing the same toxx and ran it into the ground.

That only got really good when he expanded it to other forums.

• Locked thread