Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

turns out pissing off the majority of your fanbase thirsting after a city who didn't want them was gonna be a bad thing?!

Hot drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

I'll buy that Hitchens could at least be aggressive in his not-goodness. Dude just like, hangs back and tackles people instead of heading towards a gap or having the ability to read and react in a productive way.

I don't remember if I actually posted it here but the guy is like a midrange safety now. His job is to not let people get too terribly far down the field, but he doesn't actually try to stop anyone anywhere near the line.

This is pretty much exactly what Manti T'eo used to do when he was with the Chargers. Racks up a lot of tackle numbers but almost all of them are like 5+ yards down the field on run plays and none of them are genuinely worthwhile plays. It's a tough situation to be in to have ILBs who are limited in that respect.

In general with defenses, it seems like the best course of action is to, more or less, just keep things simple and put your players in a position where they can maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses, without making them think too much about what they're trying to do. It's why Wade Phillips, among others, has been successful since basically forever.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Zone coverage defenses aren't faring well in the new NFL. I mean, Brady solved the 3-4 defense, soft zone coverage like 14 years ago, but the newer offensive schemes that do a lot of RPO just shred zone coverage

Zone coverage doesn't fare very well when you're playing against offenses that have A): good offensive lines that can hold off the pass rush and B): when the offense in question has their WRs run a ton of option routes so the QB can find the WRs inside the holes in the coverage. The Patriots' offense has pretty much been that since Brady took over, and there's a lot of teams with conceptually similar concepts playing in today's NFL, alongside the usual spread stuff. The Chargers for sure do a lot of similar passing concepts, and I believe the Steelers and Browns both do as well. (and most of the OCs of those teams come from the same Erdhart-Perkins offensive branch, for the most part. I know Todd Haley does, since he coached under Charlies Weis and Ken Whisenhunt among others)

In order for it to work you have to have a freakishly talented front 7 to get by with mainly zone coverage, like what the Panthers had 3-4 years ago.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

shirts and skins posted:

Here's a deeper dive on Seattle's offensive line improvement.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/10/17/seahawks-offensive-line-turnaround-proves-the-value-of-actual-coaching/

I'm still not sure how much of it has to do with coaching and how much has to do with improved line/RB health and a full year of Duane Brown, but the level of improvement in Germain Ifedi and JR Sweezy has been undeniable. DJ Fluker has been a fantastic pickup so far too, which...who saw that coming? Very happy the team isn't running out Luke Joeckel and Rees Odihambo anymore. But I have a hard time seeing any of that gelling without Solari's coaching.

Anyway, have fun with Tom Cable, Raiders fans!

As long as you just commit to running the ball and asking him to beat the dude in front of him, Fluker is fine at guard. it's when you gotta drop back to pass like 35+ times a game and defenses start stunting that his lack of athleticism becomes a problem.

I did like him a lot though. He wasn't well coached in San Diego and he seems like a good dude, so I hope he finds success.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This move still boggles my mind.

The long and short of it is that Dean Spanos is an imbecile. The basics of it are that he tried grifting the city of San Diego into paying for a new stadium downtown, near where the Padres play or thereabouts. The city said no because they don't have a ton of money and Dean's too much of a poor cheapshit to build a stadium for himself, even though Mission Valley is Right There and they easily could've built the new stadium around where Qualcomm is today. He then took the Chargers up to LA and basically alienated the majority of what fanbase they had, which is why almost all of their home games are like 2/3rds the opposing team.

Basically Dean Spanos is a petulant little shithead of a person and the move is now blowing up in the team's face, even though they've actually been pretty competitive the last couple of years.

I wouldn't doubt it if some billionaire bought the team out from the Spanos family, and moved them back to San Diego, with the mandate of building a new stadium in Mission Valley, by the end of next decade. San Diego would take the Chargers back under new ownership, but there's no way in hell they'd ever do it as long as the Spanoses own the team.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What is Mission Valley and why would it have been easy to build a stadium there?

Mission Valley is the area in San Diego where Qualcomm stadium is located. The land that the stadium and lot that it was built on is already available and ready to be reused. The city itself preferred the Chargers to build a new stadium there instead of downtown SD, because building a new stadium there would've costed the city a ton of additional money, on top of completely wrecking traffic in that area. It would've been a lot simpler and probably better for everybody involved to just build a new stadium on the same lot Qualcomm is on, then demolish that stadium once the new one was done. Dean rejected it because he's a worthless imbecile who was operating entirely in bad faith by that point.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 18, 2018

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Spanos family are such dumb motherfuckers that they believe Stockton is a better city to live in than SD proper, so it's not exactly like they're top business people either.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
mesh route concepts was something Mike Shanahan was extremely fond of when he coached in Denver, usually in bunched up formations. It's been around for a long time, yeah.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Bradford I think would've been fine if he would've been able to stay in an offensive system for most of his career. He was alright his rookie year when Shurmur coached him and he had some success running Norv's offense briefly in Minnesota, but he's gone through probably as many OCs as Alex Smith did early in his career. His injury issues didn't help anything either. Overall, I think he's a dude that mostly just had incredibly lovely luck on the field, so I don't begrudge him for getting paid when he could.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
It's not great short term but Ekeler has been a good back up and flashed a lot of talent when he has seen the field. Chargers will probably be ok for this week, I think. Any time after that, though, and things kinda start getting dicey.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

New England should straight up sweep their division plus the AFC south, which is ten wins right there . All those teams have been bad for a while and remain bad because by the time they fix one side of the ball the other side falls apart (e.g. Houston getting a qb in time to have the defense crumble)

And even then Houston is squandering their QB because their offensive line can't block to save their lives.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Going into this week I am pretty sure the Chargers led the league in 20+ yard plays.

LA football exciting.

It's nice having a coaching staff that understands the value of play action passing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I remember Barrett Ruud because he was ridiculous under AI control in one of the late 2000s Madden games.

Other than that, oof.

• Locked thread