Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A good finale. Lex stealing Clark's hair was really funny to me.

I was also expecting a shot of Nightwing's rear end being flat as the gag for when Talia said he would be a little different.

Open Source Idiom posted:

The only significant bum note, IMO, was walking back the Joker's subplot so considerably

I would be fine if Joker just hosed off for next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man they wrapped up that season incredibly strongly, and I dig what they seem to be pushing as the set up for next season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://youtu.be/DwWM7pX3bMo?si=42YFwgcrAzJ3_t_9

Trailer for the Kite Man spin off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kite Man vs. Darkseid definitely feels like it is long overdue :hmmyes:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jerusalem posted:

Man they wrapped up that season incredibly strongly, and I dig what they seem to be pushing as the set up for next season.

I wonder if they'll change the name of the show to Gotham City Sirens.

If they take inspiration from the comics, I can't wait for Gaggy and Jenna Duffy. The latter because her usage in the comics felt like it was taken directly from the script for this.

"Wait, you want me to actually rebuild this place? ...then you're going to have to pay my going rates. I'm licensed and bonded." :v:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Sounds like they couldn't get Michael Ironside back for Darkseid this time, but I'm never going to turn my nose up at Keith David.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like the idea that Lex's battlesuit was specifically designed to copy Superman's powers. Usually it is, you know, a generic power suit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wonder if they'll change the name of the show to Gotham City Sirens.

If they take inspiration from the comics, I can't wait for Gaggy and Jenna Duffy. The latter because her usage in the comics felt like it was taken directly from the script for this.

"Wait, you want me to actually rebuild this place? ...then you're going to have to pay my going rates. I'm licensed and bonded." :v:

God that was such a fun comic and it was a shame that all got left by the way side.

Carpenter is a Dini character so it'll depend on if he OKs it

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Xelkelvos posted:

Carpenter is a Dini character so it'll depend on if he OKs it

She just seems kinda tailor-made for this kind of show. Maybe give her a home improvement show where she does villain lairs and have her voiced by an actual HGTV show host or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No date but according to Entertainment Weekly the final season of Doom Patrol will premiere in October.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

She just seems kinda tailor-made for this kind of show. Maybe give her a home improvement show where she does villain lairs and have her voiced by an actual HGTV show host or something.

There's a small constellation of weird villain support people that a whole show could be made about. The same issue she premiered in there was also a guy whose whole job was to do real estate for villains and sourcing them lairs or places to trap heroes. There's also financiers like the Ninth Circle in Green Arrow or the Underbroker for Gotham who loan money to supervillains for them to do their stuff. Then there's also the Executor who's hired to execute legal contracts like wills or loan terms.

And in recent comics, the goons have literally organized under Catwoman and are learning how to heist from her to steal from the rich instead of being muscle for the other villains.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

No date but according to Entertainment Weekly the final season of Doom Patrol will premiere in October.

Technically second half of last season.

Apparently the episode titles hint one is a christmas episode so they might be timing that if they stick to weekly releases.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a small constellation of weird villain support people that a whole show could be made about. The same issue she premiered in there was also a guy whose whole job was to do real estate for villains and sourcing them lairs or places to trap heroes. There's also financiers like the Ninth Circle in Green Arrow or the Underbroker for Gotham who loan money to supervillains for them to do their stuff. Then there's also the Executor who's hired to execute legal contracts like wills or loan terms.

And in recent comics, the goons have literally organized under Catwoman and are learning how to heist from her to steal from the rich instead of being muscle for the other villains.

It's kind of a shame that they dropped the idea of the empowered/organized henchmen so quickly in Season 2, because that seems like a kind of fun plot.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I'm just glad HQ keeps running.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

KORNOLOGY posted:

I'm just glad HQ keeps running.

Shhh...Zaslav might hear you :ohdear:

Has anything been said about a season 5 though? I know that even if the strikes ended today the next season would be delayed a bit.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Didn't they finish filming that ages ago? I'd pretty much given up hope that it was ever coming out and they hadn't consigned the footage to whatever dark pit Batgirl was buried in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah there was literally no reason for them to hold off on it so long and even the stars of the show were starting to publicly state that they weren't sure if it was ever coming out.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

October 12 (finally):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAL2c0eYYsE

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How was the first part of the season? I felt like they kinda lost a step last season and didn't come back, I really loved the first few seasons though

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doom Patrol is back with it picking up in such a way that makes it clear there wasn't supposed to be a break.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Doom Patrol is back with it picking up in such a way that makes it clear there wasn't supposed to be a break.

Man, I am so glad to be waiting until the whole thing has aired before starting the season.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I’m probably gonna have to start the whole season over, it’s all a blank in my brain at this point.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anyone else notice the editing seems to be a bit rougher this half of the season? Lines cut off by fades to black and stuff? Makes me wonder if they had to recut a bunch to make it cohesive from the filmed stuff and couldn't do reshoots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Diane Guerrero jumping around in a cut off shirt is very distracting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The final song being done to the melody of the opening was fun.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I'm blanking on some stuff but I remember the highlight, that the best episode this season and maybe of the show didn't have the Doom Patrol in it at all. I'll miss the show, but there's a lesson there.

If someone in the production said so, I could easily believe it, but there has been one difference: only in the second half has the show gone all Buffy(verse). This version of Immortus (I don't know the lore firsthand, but I have wikipedia for that) seems like just an amalgam of Glory and Jasmine, and now there's a musical episode. Not that that's wrong or I'm complaining too much. Buffy eventually wanted to be Night of the Hunter, and the musical balances out the Immortus familiarity, though I still prefer that cover of Champs-Elysees.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 24, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Diane Guerrero jumping around in a cut off shirt is very distracting.

Agreed that was dangerous.

I'm having memory issues these days, it seemed like the Casey crushing on Jane came out of nowhere this episode, was that seed planted earlier and I just forgot?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It was hinted a bit last week.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Well, easy come easy go, because Casey (and Dorothy) completely disappeared from the next episode. Not even a mention of them. Bizarre. Maybe they're where the rest of the cast got sent at the end of this episode.

Otherwise I thought the episode was pretty good, with the core cast getting some nice moments as their arcs are clearly winding down.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Was Swamp Thing available anywhere before it got dumped on tubi? Started watching it and I vaguely remember the first ep but definitely didn’t watch the rest of the series. I had no idea they had the blonde dude from 90210 playing the Blue Devil.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Other than DC Universe streaming when it still existed? I dunno

e: looks like CW acquired broadcast rights so they aired it in October 2020

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
The a capella version of the Doom Patrol opening song (now with doom patrol lyrics!) was pretty great. Shame about the rest of that episode.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Always great for Timothy Dalton to show up again.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Having just watched Max Headroom recently, it sticks out how the older Mark Sheppard gets the more he reminds me of his father.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Killer robot posted:

Having just watched Max Headroom recently, it sticks out how the older Mark Sheppard gets the more he reminds me of his father.

Does it hold up? is there an upscale?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

Does it hold up? is there an upscale?

I was watching in 480p, I don't know if there's an upscale. It holds up reasonably well: it's kinda cheap and cheesy and like most old cyberpunk the parts of the future it "predicts" well are mostly the parts that were already there in the 1980s, but the tongue in cheek attitude helps it a lot. Stands out that it has basically none of the "Japan will rule the future" of most of its contemporary works, maybe since it was a largely British production and that was more an American fear. Morgan Sheppard is the grumpy old punk that runs an underground TV network and he's pretty great.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Edit I'm dumb and mixed up

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
So episode 12 is really the last-ever episode of Doom Patrol, huh? Even though things are clearly winding down it doesn't quite feel like it's there yet, like it needed one or two more episodes to get there. And the preview, at least, is totally devoid of Dorothy and Casey. It would be utterly bizarre if the musical episode was their final appearance.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Gonz posted:

Always great for Timothy Dalton to show up again.

I've been waiting for that for so long and still want it again for the finale. Also want the finale to be zany, like really short, really long (OK maybe not that), or a cartoon episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doom Patrol finale was really good but still kind of awkward that Dorothy got completely shut out. One thing I will say that is that stuff with the Negative Spirit never really made much sense to me.