Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Three shinies, and a 91/93 so I guess that's an OK day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Sat at home watching football and catching Turtwigs from my couch. It was rainy and the Packers won so I’m good with my decision.

Two shinies and I’ll evolve a couple of the good ones I have from eggs. An acceptable Community Day.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

3 Turtwigs. 0 shiny. And this Evolve Them By 2 Hours After The Event For A Unique Move is bullshit. Just let us get it whenever we can evolve them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Prop Wash posted:

I have to confess I prefer this time to the afternoon slot, and that'll be even more the case as we move into the winter and it gets dark earlier. I guess the opposite is true for the southern hemisphere - does Niantic adjust for that or do people just wander around in the dark during Australian winter community days?

They do not adjust for the southern hemisphere, so we get to roam around in the dark in winter, and the hottest part of the day in summer

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Turtwig was such a bad choice. between that and the flower Eevee research reward I have to wonder if someone at Niantic just hates the players

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

loving finally finished my Kanto Dex.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

indigi posted:

Turtwig was such a bad choice. between that and the flower Eevee research reward I have to wonder if someone at Niantic just hates the players

It’s a nice break from having to care about POGO, but the timing isn’t exactly great. We’re at the tail end of summer, exactly when the playerbase usually drops off. Now is when they need exciting stuff to retain players as the weather cools down.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Caught over 80 turta no shinny only two 3 stars.

Meh.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Got 7 shiny turtles and hatched a shiny Kanga, so I’d call it a good community day. None of the turtles were particularly good, but I hardly use grass mons anyway so no huge loss there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BGrifter posted:

It’s a nice break from having to care about POGO, but the timing isn’t exactly great. We’re at the tail end of summer, exactly when the playerbase usually drops off. Now is when they need exciting stuff to retain players as the weather cools down.

Gen 5 starts Monday.

All eight Pokemon that they're releasing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
gen 5 is alive

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

indigi posted:

Every other month it's a starter and this month was turtwig's turn.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The sad thing is this is my best Torterra by far, and I'd much rather it was the normal colours instead of sickly yellow.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I really hope there's a Halloween event. I have a perfect iv dusclops I want to sinnoh evolve, and a legacy haunter that needs twenty or so more candies for a 3* gengar.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Headed out at 1:42pm, got a shiny Turtwig and went back home. :geno:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NTRabbit posted:

They do not adjust for the southern hemisphere, so we get to roam around in the dark in winter, and the hottest part of the day in summer

What does Niantic adjust for?

Literally everyone gets to play by California rules and if they aren't in California, gently caress 'em.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I really hope there's a Halloween event. I have a perfect iv dusclops I want to sinnoh evolve, and a legacy haunter that needs twenty or so more candies for a 3* gengar.

Odds are extremely good that they'll make a big deal out of chandelure for Halloween.

I walked my dogs until the poor ladies were ready to drop. They loved going to the beach and getting petted all midday long. I ground out the 100K experience I needed to get from the end of level 37 to the beginning of 38, got 5 shinies, evolved 5 turtwigs to Torterra including 1 shiny, hatched a Mr. Mime and Kangaskhan, 3 Farfetch'd(Including a 96), and raided for one of the forms of Deoxys I didn't have.

I didn't get a single thing I actually cared about, but it was a nice day anyway. :unsmith:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I never feel as much despair in this game as I do when I hatch a wynaut from a 7k egg.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Missed out on Turtwig community day but i did just catch this at work! That makes my second one :h:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
weekly research giving the goods

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

bowmore posted:

weekly research giving the goods

I have had my spin streak and research rewards aligned to Sunday for over a year. On Monday, despite having finished tasks ready to go, I never turned one in. I'm far too compulsive to have research rewards out of alignment. I'm not so broken up about missing an Eevee, though. Is just throwing me off of my rhythm to turn in quests only every other day. Still: halfway there.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
So wait whats the deal with lucky pokemon? Is there a limit? What are they?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ZeusCannon posted:

You get a lucky pokemon trading with a lucky friend, which is a thing you can randomly get when you exchange gifts with a maxed-out friend.

They take less dust to level up and are guaranteed a 12/12/12 stat base on trading.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

ZeusCannon posted:

When someone is your Best Friend, exchanging gifts has a chance of making you lucky friends. You have that chance with every daily gift, it's what happens instead of leveling up the friendship, basically.

There is no limit to how many friends can be lucky with you at once as far as we know, and you can become lucky friends again with people who were it before, it's really just RNG. I was lucky friends with my husband last month and we just became lucky friends again yesterday, for example. With other Besties, I've gifted almost daily and we've not been lucky friends in ages. Random.

Any Pokemon traded via lucky trade will get its IV adjusted to at least 85% if I'm not loving up numbers, and leveling up the traded lucky mons costs half the amount of stardust that it usually would.

Ergo, the ideal case is to trade for fancy legendaries or some such, but the world is your oyster.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ZeusCannon posted:

What they are:
Pokemon that are guaranteed to have a fairly high minimum for stats after trades, and are also cheaper stardust-wise to power up.

How to get them randomly:
- Any random trade between you and another person has a chance to be lucky. The older one of the pokemon being traded is, the higher chance, but there's no minimum old or minimum friendship level required.

How to get them guaranteed:
- After you become best friends with someone, further gifts/trades/pvp/etc has a chance to trigger "lucky friends", which pre-guarantees the next trade between you will be lucky.
- If you (or someone else) has pokemon from July or August 2016, and one or both of the accounts has less than 10 lucky pokemon, a trade involving one of those old pokemon will be guaranteed lucky. (If both of you have >10 luckies already, then it falls under the above "old pokemon = higher chance" rule, where it's still something like a 70% chance to trigger, but it's not guaranteed anymore)

There are no limits to the number of lucky pokemon you can have, which means things like "trading a bunch of community day pokemon around between your buddies instead of immediately scrapping them" can net you several luckies.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm working on completing my lucky dex, I have 159 lucky pokemon currently

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

- If you (or someone else) has pokemon from July or August 2016, and one or both of the accounts has less than 10 lucky pokemon, a trade involving one of those old pokemon will be guaranteed lucky. (If both of you have >10 luckies already, then it falls under the above "old pokemon = higher chance" rule, where it's still something like a 70% chance to trigger, but it's not guaranteed anymore)

I think this doesn't work anymore.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Good haul today: 12 shiny Turtwig, a wild shiny Tauros, 666 Swablu, 666 Farfetch'd, and the one Deoxys form I was missing.

Fiance got about half the shiny haul but managed two 100%er's from team rocket stops.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

endlessmonotony posted:

I think this doesn't work anymore.

Both my spouse and I have caches of 2016 pokemon and it's still working as of a week or two ago.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Slightly different than this sadly— ten trade limit is a cap for the sender's account. So eg if you have 50 July/August 2016 Pokémon you couldn’t do ten lucky trades with five accounts and have them guaranteed — only the first ten trades you do will be guaranteed. After you’ve run out of guarantees the 70% rate applies but it needs to be a July/August 2016 mon for one at least a year old IIRC.

Link is here: https://thesilphroad.com/science/breakthrough-guaranteed-lucky-trades-actually-work/

Also for op— the silph road research group is really good for this stuff. They do admirably controlled testing.

tildes fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 16, 2019

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

tildes posted:

Slightly different than this sadly— ten trade limit is a cap for either account, not both. So eg if you have 50 July/August 2016 Pokémon you couldn’t do ten lucky trades with five accounts and have them guaranteed — only the first ten trades you do will be guaranteed. After you’ve run out of guarantees the 70% rate applies but it needs to be a July/August 2016 mon for one at least a year old IIRC.

What I don't have confirmed is this scenario:

Player 1 already has more than 10 lucky Pokemon. Player 2 has less than 10 lucky Pokemon. What if P1 wants to trade a Jul/Aug 2016 Pokemon to P2 for a non-Jul/Aug 2016 Pokemon? Would it not be guaranteed because the old Pokemon is coming from P1's side, and P1 is disqualified from the special circumstance? Or would the lucky be guaranteed even though the old Pokemon is not coming from P2's side, but P2 still qualifies for having less than 10 lucky Pokemon?

Whereas I'm sure this scenario is guaranteed because I've done this with someone else:

Player 1 already has more than 10 lucky Pokemon. Player 2 has less than 10 lucky Pokemon. P1 can trade any Pokemon to P2, who will trade over a Jul/Aug 2016 Pokemon. The trade should be guaranteed lucky because P2 still qualifies AND is providing the old Pokemon. The game wouldn't block out P2 from getting a lucky trade just because P1 is over their limit.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Willsun posted:

What I don't have confirmed is this scenario:

Player 1 already has more than 10 lucky Pokemon. Player 2 has less than 10 lucky Pokemon. What if P1 wants to trade a Jul/Aug 2016 Pokemon to P2 for a non-Jul/Aug 2016 Pokemon? Would it not be guaranteed because the old Pokemon is coming from P1's side, and P1 is disqualified from the special circumstance? Or would the lucky be guaranteed even though the old Pokemon is not coming from P2's side, but P2 still qualifies for having less than 10 lucky Pokemon?

Whereas I'm sure this scenario is guaranteed because I've done this with someone else:

Player 1 already has more than 10 lucky Pokemon. Player 2 has less than 10 lucky Pokemon. P1 can trade any Pokemon to P2, who will trade over a Jul/Aug 2016 Pokemon. The trade should be guaranteed lucky because P2 still qualifies AND is providing the old Pokemon. The game wouldn't block out P2 from getting a lucky trade just because P1 is over their limit.

In the first scenario you don't get a guaranteed lucky -- I've tried this and had it fail.

But yes, you are right -- what I should have said was that it is a hard cap for the sender. Edited to not be wrong!

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Hatched a shiny Pichu, my second. If anyone is great San Diego and has shiny Eevees I'll happily trade it.

Plus my very best hatch was a shiny Elekid! Shiny Electrabuzz is awesome, who is Electivire so lame?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How are you guys catching so many shinys. I walked for 2 hours and 15 minutes constantly catching stuff and I got 0. Amazing.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

LingcodKilla posted:

How are you guys catching so many shinys. I walked for 2 hours and 15 minutes constantly catching stuff and I got 0. Amazing.

Find a spot with a lot of lures. Like, ideally you want a place where you’ve got 4 or 5 stops all within reaching distance.

Sit on your fat rear end and catch Pokémon for three hours. Go home with a dozen shinies.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Haven't played in a year: opened a friend's brand new gift: oh my god you can still get Alolan eggs :negative:

Please just let me delete eggs

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Macaluso posted:

Haven't played in a year: opened a friend's brand new gift: oh my god you can still get Alolan eggs :negative:

Last week and this week Alolan eggs can have the gen 1 regionals with a chance for shiny.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Macaluso posted:

the 7km eggs have a lot more just than alolan pokemon these days + specifically have regionals this week

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Right now (until today/tomorrow, depending on your time zone) you can get shiny gen 1 regionals from those eggs. And the contents are decided when you receive the gift, not when it hatches.

Also the egg pool in general has expanded, so it’s not just Alolans in the 7km eggs any more.

Edit: wow, beaten twice in two minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Didn't care much about turtwig, so we each got a few and called it good.

Snagged a shiny grimer on my run this morning, and a second shiny onix in the afternoon. Along with my shadow larvitar, it was a good day.