Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Console wars, fifth generation. The Nintendo 64, Sega Saturn, and Sony Playstation were in a heated competition for top video game console. This era of gaming is defined by a great leap towards 3D gaming - not that games taking place in a three-dimension environment was COMPLETELY new, but the use of polygons was more feasable than ever on a console. In fact, if I listed the number of great games that came out, whether from an old IP or a new one, I'd be here all day.

Capcom's Mega Man franchise was in a strange position in those days. Naturally, Capcom wanted to stick with their already successful 2D platformers, and they also wanted in on the hot new technology and power of the Playstation. There was a problem, however: Sony, at this point and time, felt that 2D was a passing fad in the face of 3D gaming. What this meant for Capcom is that a 3D Mega Man game would have to happen before they could do anything 2D. You might be tempted, then, to think that Mega Man Legends, the first 3D Mega Man game ever, is a no-effort cash-in on the third dimension. When it launched, players certainly took note that it was rather clunky and a whole lot different from the usual.

However, in the years following, players looked back at Mega Man Legends and found that, once you get used to the controls, it's actually a pretty good game. Its production values are very high compared to other Mega Man games, and it's even got a sequel AND a prequel. However, Legends didn't last all that long beyond that. There was a more recent attempt to revive it in 2011 or so, but uh that didn't exactly pan out, so anybody who enjoyed Legends - as I did - is still stuck waiting for a sequel that probably won't happen. Maybe if Mega Man 11 is a success, they might think about doing a Legends 3.

Until that time, I'll be taking a look back at these old games - especially since I now know a couple new tricks that the speedrunners have picked up, so even if you've seen playthroughs of these games dozens of times already, hopefully I'll be able to spice this one up a little for you!

Contents

Mega Man Legends
Part 1 - Do you see a door?! (Below this post)
Part 2 - FootBomb (Below this post)
Part 3 - She Rolled Over Me
Part 4 - Sequence Break
Part 5 - Vacuum Cleaner
Part 6 - Elbow Polygons
Part 7 - It'll Be A Green House When We Finish
Part 8 - Sidequest City
Part 9 - Point-Blank Grenades
Part 10 - The Best Song In The Game
Part 11 - Metal Gear Bruno
Part 12 - It's A Ma-- A Person??
Hard Mode Boss Battles

Mega Man Legends 2
Part 1 - Slightly Less Noticeable Elbow Polygons
Part 2 - Class SSSSSSSS License
Part 3 - Attack Of The Snow Bunny
Part 4 - Robot Golduck
Part 5 - Manda Manda Manda Manda Ruins
Part 6 - Bird Boss
Part 7 - Refractor-Eating Reaverbot
Part 8 - Water Temple v2.0
Part 9 - Quizzes and Karma
Part 10 - So Did Tron Just Teleport Into That Room?
Part 11 - Underground Snowfield
Part 12 - The Mega Man On The Moon
Part 13 - Cliffhanger

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Part 1 - Do you see a door?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CVUBSU0ZXA

Part 2 - FootBomb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI5ZSJL8yd8

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sunfish airship is awesome and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

Sunfish airship is awesome and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

Perhaps. Seriously though, "Flutter"? Doesn't sound like a flying fish at all.

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
Regarding diagonal movement being faster:

It's a pretty common 'problem' in games of all sorts, but not one that really detracts from the experience for anyone, especially not speed-runners, so it probably isn't a high priority for developers to get this particular thing right.

Imagine that when you move in any direction, you have a speed of 1. Hold up, you move forwards at a rate of 1. Hold right, move right at a rate of 1. All well and good so far.
Imagine you hold up and right for a given period of time. 1 second? Call that a distance of 1. You've now moved up 1 unit of distance, and right 1 unit of distance. Here we need Pythagoras; take 'up' to be one side of a triangle a, and 'right' to be another side b connected at a right-angle, and 'up-right' to be c, joining the ends of a and b, for which we're about to calculate the length:

a2 + b2 = c2
So c2 = 12 + 12 = sqrt(2) = 1.41

You're moving a distance of 1.41 up-and-right, not 1, if you're moving 1 up and 1 right. So when you move diagonally, you're moving at approximately 1.41 times the normal intended speed. When you can angle the camera in arbitrary directions, you can point the diagonal wherever you want to go and take advantage of the extra distance you cover that way.

(Source: more or less https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/22890/why-does-my-object-move-faster-at-45-degrees-than-at-90-degrees)

Anyway, at least the airfish was as fragile as what it was designed after. I get the feeling with a name like Flutter it wasn't that graceful or smooth-flying in the first place, though.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
That's pretty interesting. I'm so used to quirks like that being a programming thing, not a mathematical thing!

Today's update is mostly cutscene, but the next update will cover the entire point of this LP, so that should be fun.

Part 3 - She Rolled Over Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWmR-HLm8cw

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I... am really charmed by this game so far! I really like how colorful and goofy it is, and it doesn't look like it has aged too badly.

You didn't shoot down the newsship, though.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

You didn't shoot down the newsship, though.

I'm doing it now.

Part 4 - Sequence Break
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXNEKskHreA

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Drills, dogs, balloons, trick jumps. All features of Mega Man Legends alone.

Part 5 - Vacuum Cleaner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Wr-FHLnqI

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Since the rusted chests have that blue color to them, it's possible that the chests are bronze or copper.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

Since the rusted chests have that blue color to them, it's possible that the chests are bronze or copper.

Cheap chest, treasure inside. Interesting.

Part 6 - Elbow Polygons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxV3tprGU9E

I'll stop talking about elbow polygons I swear!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Part 7 - It'll Be A Green House When We Finish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHPHQfp51sY

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Part 8 - Sidequest City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6m_YsDjeRY

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I tried to start up MML last night to play along with the LP, but I don't have a working PSX anymore and my PC won't read my disc... :( I guess my only option is playing the PSOne Classics version on the Vita.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I tried to start up MML last night to play along with the LP, but I don't have a working PSX anymore and my PC won't read my disc... :( I guess my only option is playing the PSOne Classics version on the Vita.

I didn't know this was released on the Vita. Got an N64 perhaps?

Part 9: Point-Blank Grenades
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbWgXCLmKaE

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ah, the Shining Laser. I definitely remember that weapon... :allears:

Ephraim225 posted:

I didn't know this was released on the Vita. Got an N64 perhaps?
Yeah, Legends 1 (in 2015) and 2 (in 2016) were both released as PSOne Classics, which means they're available on PSP, PS3, and PSVita. I assume it was either an apology or a taunt to forlorn Legends 3 fans. As for an N64, my brothers' old one might still be around somewhere, but I doubt it and it's probably not in any better shape than my PSX, and I also don't even want to think about what copies of MM64 are going for these days...

Fun fact: Japan also got straight-up PSP ports of both Rockman Dash and Rockman Dash 2. I don't know what, if anything, is different.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This stuff makes me wonder how Legends 2 gets sequence broken, because that game has a much more straightforward dungeon structure

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Fun fact: Japan also got straight-up PSP ports of both Rockman Dash and Rockman Dash 2. I don't know what, if anything, is different.

Dash 2 had the most changes. Weapon upgrade costs have been reduced by quite a bit (we'll see that the PSX version has awful, awful upgrade prices) and the gameplay speed increases for the water dungeons. Both excellent improvements.

The Door Frame posted:

This stuff makes me wonder how Legends 2 gets sequence broken, because that game has a much more straightforward dungeon structure

Basically it doesn't. You can skip a room here or there but you can't really get items or weapons out of order.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Ephraim225 posted:

Dash 2 had the most changes. Weapon upgrade costs have been reduced by quite a bit (we'll see that the PSX version has awful, awful upgrade prices) and the gameplay speed increases for the water dungeons. Both excellent improvements.

Basically it doesn't. You can skip a room here or there but you can't really get items or weapons out of order.

That stinks. I couldn't get past the giant fire reaverbot as a kid and always tried to find a way to not have to fight him. I had hope that you could walk into his arena with an endgame WMD and melt him or something. Still excited to see 2 done in depth, especially since I never actually went back and beat him and I don't know what happens after that dungeon

You know, besides the big cliffhanger ending. That was spoiled for almost everyone when Red Ash was being kickstarted

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Door Frame posted:

You know, besides the big cliffhanger ending. That was spoiled for almost everyone when Red Ash was being kickstarted
I'm glad I stopped paying attention to Kickstarter after it refused to take my money to back Bloodstained, then.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Part 10 - The Best Song In The Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOT_PLbS5Yo

And for the best song in the game, here you go:
The original
Namco X Capcom
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Project X Zone
We Are ROCK-MEN remix

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

...Could Volnutt's voice actor have been Canadian? Do we know who that is, even?

Also, Gesellschaft was likely mispronounced, at least by the game - offhand based on three years of high school German it reads like "gazelle shoft"; solitary S's like that are pronounced more like English Z's.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The bird/plane/jet mech/thing being named Fockewulf is definitely a reference to Focke-Wulf, a famous German aviation company. Based on the bird shape, my mind goes immediately to the FW 190 Shrike* being the boss's namesake, one of the most common and best fighters that the Luftwaffe had in WWII. Being named after a Nazi fighter plane is probably another reason to not say its almost vulgar name out loud
*Maybe even inspired by the FW Ta 152 variant of the FW 190 D, since it's a high altitude interceptor that looks much more bird like
Sorry, I like planes a lot, and play a lot of War Thunder...

Those song links are pro clicks though

AweStriker posted:

...Could Volnutt's voice actor have been Canadian? Do we know who that is, even?

Also, Gesellschaft was likely mispronounced, at least by the game - offhand based on three years of high school German it reads like "gazelle shoft"; solitary S's like that are pronounced more like English Z's.

IIRC, almost everyone that did voices for this is Canadian

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
That explains why they sound so sorry.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I can't believe the Bonnes are loving dead.

The Shining Laser is the best weapon in the game hands-down, but I do remember liking the Active Buster in my (non-sequence break) playthrough of the game. The homing comes in handy with the game's clunky pre-twin stick aiming, and who doesn't like shooting a near-endless barrage of missiles at enemies?

And I think at the very least Tron would have felt bad about killing Megaman, considering they have a half-assed love triangle thing going on with her and Roll.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 10, 2018

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

That explains why they sound so sorry.

The thing that finally tipped me off on that was the way it was said during... sigh... The Unnecessary Scene.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, Legends 1 (in 2015) and 2 (in 2016) were both released as PSOne Classics, which means they're available on PSP, PS3, and PSVita. I assume it was either an apology or a taunt to forlorn Legends 3 fans. As for an N64, my brothers' old one might still be around somewhere, but I doubt it and it's probably not in any better shape than my PSX, and I also don't even want to think about what copies of MM64 are going for these days...
Speaking of the PSN releases, they're currently 60% off on the PSN holiday sale. I'm gonna pick 'em up.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Part 11 - Metal Gear Bruno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhrOOCJ0ek0

This is the second-to-last video of the main playthrough of MML1. I'm planning on doing a commentated Hard mode speedrun before MML2 as well. (It wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the world records, though!)

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Part 12 - It's A Ma-- A Person??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpSVv_fjDJ4

So, next up is the Hard speedrun. Then we'll be onto Legends 2 and I have a question for the viewers regarding that. See, subtitling this video took a good long while, and while I'd love to keep doing that for Legends 2 it's only going to get more time-consuming considering that game is very plot intensive. So my question is, does it matter to you viewers if I keep subtitling or not? If it does I'll try my best to keep doing it but if not I'd prefer to not keep it up, and I could just be quiet when the characters talk too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd personally prefer you keep doing the subtitles if possible, because even without your commentary, there were some bits I probably would have missed without them.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Well I'll do my best to subtitle MML2. For now though:

Hard Mode Boss Battles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko62qK1MtBI

I eventually concluded that watching an amateur speedrun would be boring so I'm showing only the bosses. These are probably the highlight of Hard Mode anyways. Beating Hard Mode unlocks Easy Mode, which starts you off with a part that maxes all buster stats and the Jet Skates. Most bosses are down in seconds, which is worth it for the humor I suppose.

This concludes MML1! To close down the LP here are the intro and outro songs heard only in Japan:

Another Sun
Your Wind Is Blowing (wait what)

Up next, MML2!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's interesting to see an early 3D game that has managed no *not* age so badly, for a change.

As for the LP itself, I think it was fine, but I just wanted to say that having some dead air outside of cutscenes is really not the end of world.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

HardDiskD posted:

It's interesting to see an early 3D game that has managed no *not* age so badly, for a change.

As for the LP itself, I think it was fine, but I just wanted to say that having some dead air outside of cutscenes is really not the end of world.
Having downloaded the PSOne Classics version and played some of it recently, I can say that the controls have aged pretty poorly. The game is fairly easy, so you're really fighting the awkward camera and aiming controls as much as you are the enemies. The only saving grace is the auto-aim.

And yes, to be honest, you could do with a little less self-deprecation about filling the dead air. It's fine to just let the game play for a minute or two if you really don't have anything to say.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Having downloaded the PSOne Classics version and played some of it recently, I can say that the controls have aged pretty poorly. The game is fairly easy, so you're really fighting the awkward camera and aiming controls as much as you are the enemies. The only saving grace is the auto-aim.

Yeah, I kinda forgot about the very awkward controls. Having said that, I still think the game looks pretty good for an early 3D game.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Alright, who's ready to start Legends 2 now that the holidays are all done??

Part 1 - Slightly Less Noticeable Elbow Polygons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPmP8963q0

Part 2 - Class SSSSSSS License
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD8wKoWYrmI

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Watching (and enjoying) these made me recall that Capcom promised to announce a surprise this year. Without irony I hope it's an MML. These guys aged well, they're not cringy or frustrating, they are unique and kinda charming and drat there deserves to be more of them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd like a new Legends, but I think between the cancellation of 3 and Inafune leaving Capcom (aside from being the creator of Mega Man, he apparently really wanted to make more Legends games), there really isn't much hope for a new Legends game.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
All depends on whether Capcom sees it as profitable to do it or not. That'll be hard to prove, but MM11 is the first step I suppose.

Part 3 - Attack Of The Snow Bunny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhSRy9ePn-Q

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
You should rename it to "attack of the really pixelated naked anime girl" . And apparently the best way to destroy another enemy is to throw another enemy at it.

Also, can you give/sell the bunnies to the villagers? Or throw the bunnies at the villagers? Or attach TNT to the bunnies and fire them out a cannon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can find mammals almost anywhere. Arctic hares are definitely a thing, and they're generally white for camouflage like the ones in-game, at least during snowy seasons.

They never really seemed to do anything about those frozen people, do they? The girl in the other dropship we saw with notthemama, but the others they seemed to just forget about.