Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Thank you for making this thread

This show is just a good chill time. I'm glad we seem to be getting some drama, cause so far the main character is def the least fun.

Prince is going to be the shows Yamaguchi and when he does some clutch poo poo, it's going to own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

an actual dog posted:

There's many broody sports boys out there but Kurahara sticks out for both depth of brood and level of anger. I also like him a lot, I find him really sympathetic. I get the sense that he was in a really bad place before the story begins, and that he'll stay no matter how weird it gets because he doesn't have anything to go back to. I like that when he tells someone off he's usually right lol

I've watched sports shows where characters like him zap the energy out of things but his presence works in this one's favor. Like it takes something sweet and funny and makes it ring more true, if that makes sense.

Anyway show loving rules.
My post was super bare bones, but yeah I agree with this.

I'm glad the drama seems to be ramping up because I want to empathize with him, it's just tricky for me to without specifics. I'm also glad they're addressing it early because him just being a crushing realist could run out of steam really fast so I expect to like him a lot more by the end of next episode.

With 23/24 episodes this feels like a really slow burn show but im already fiending for some good character development, not because im bored, but im excited to love these boys more

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 17, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love Prince, he's def my fave so far. He love that he's a sincere "loser" that doesn't care he's a loser and I like that the he has his own separate social circle. I'm also really warming to Kurahura, his flashbacks told a lot without saying much and there's still left unexplored with the "You gonna hit me again?"

I'm glad this has a slower pace, but I can't help but feel this might do better on a deeper binge watch. The episodes really fly by and I'm dying to see more of their interactions. Musa and Yuki felt cool cause so far it feels like everyone in the house has like the one guy they talk to and I don't think they've spoken yet. I know it's supposed to sell that these ten guys aren't super close despite living together, but I wanna see my boys be bffs already

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lmfao this show owns, I extremely need to catch up. glad to hear it's kept up the quality, I fell off cause it felt more suitable to binging it later, but I might get back in early

e: for context, it's a jojo reference

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 6, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

an actual dog posted:

If you haven't picked this up again now that it's back from the break do it it rules
i'll do it!!!!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Just finished Episode 8 and im so mad at kakeru!!! I was glad that someone gave him the "All you care about is speed, no one here isn't trying their best, chill out dude" talk, but he's still antagonistic to Prince, after Prince both had a breakdown over getting a treadmill so he can work out better and when he yelled at Kakeru's ex-classmate about how much he appreciates that no one in the dorm has ever given him poo poo about being slow.

I'm sure Kakeru's gonna develop more, I liked his talk with Nico-chan-senpai about not giving up again (i also love how it's brought up this talk might've been a bad thing) but c'mon buddy, stop picking on Prince!

really glad I let the episodes build up, i'm excited to watch more

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I don't want it sound like "boy why can't Kakeru just be cool already", i'm just surprised by how much he's got to grow. like drat dude, prince just came down to get some water and you're just telling him to quit. i like that they've set up as a genuine block he has, like both haiji and nico-chan have given him their reasons for running and some ideas to think on and nothing they've said really clicks for him, and that bothers him

his character so far has mostly been just clenching his fists and scowling so im excited to see him grow

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Ending of Ep. 10 had me clapping, the first ten episodes could honestly just be it's own story. So excited that I'm not even halfway done

I still just get instantly mad when Kakeru says stuff like "It won't be enough, Prince" but I like that when he's actually in arguments with the characters he has beef with, he like always loses. Watching him become helpful and supportive has been great

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
aaaaa Episode 13 - 14 were so warm and happy. My heart is so full, I love sports shows so much

im honestly scared for the next ten episodes i want my boys to be happy

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Shindo-san has the strongest will in the country!!!!!

everyone face-timing him on three different phones is one of the cutest things in a sports show

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 3, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
wowwwwwww

Every episode is so loving good, how are more people not talking about this? Every character is painted with thin, yet deep strokes, turning people I wasn't interested in like King and the twins into interesting and deeply relatable figures. Stuff like Yuki feeling powerless about the changes in his family life and Jota accepting that running was the first world he and his brother couldn't always be in together really floored me. I sorta wish that kind of thing had been explored more in just a straight up drama but I enjoy that it's a bit more subtle here. I was really curious about how they were going to handle doing the actual Hakone and making it everyone's individual crucible has been perfect, I'm so so invested

I have one episode left and I'm treasuring it, gonna try and save it for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Wow, absolutely perfect. I loved every bit of it and I'm genuinely angry to see it go. I really can't think of much else to say other than

The mountains of Hakone are?