Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Minion Masters is a “fast-paced, easy to learn and hard to master strategy-brawler” with a ladder/rewards system comparable to Hearthstone but gameplay more like Clash Royale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1hyVHrdqCI

Play is 1v1 or 2v2 realtime multiplayer, with each player selecting a hero and a deck of 10 cards. Players summon minions on their side of the field, who then attack the nearest enemy minion and, when no enemies are near, move towards the enemy hero. Two bridges divide the sides; control of a bridge awards experience for your hero, unlocking 3 special powers.

The final level is “mana frenzy”, where further experience is turned into mana allowing you to end the game quickly with rapidly played cards. This is the game’s natural time limit - about 10% of my games go to mana frenzy. Games last from 1 1/2 to 8 minutes.

Mana ticks up continuously, at the rate of 1 per second with a cap of 10. You have a 4 card hand; each card played goes to the bottom of the deck.

Basic play consists of counters and tradeoffs. Once minions aggro onto something they will attack it until it’s dead or goes out of range. You can use cheap flying minions to kill a more expensive melee minion. You can back up your tanky melee minion with ranged minions to shoot flyers. You can wait for a group of advancing minions to attack your face so your summoned minions kill them without being harmed.

Higher mana cost minions can be more efficient, but dumping too much mana into one card or pile leaves you more vulnerable to counters or counterplay; some cards have AOE, or a player can retake bridges with cheap cards after your expensive minions walk past them.

There is a lot of finesse into where exactly you place minions and when and where you choose to start battles; fighting on your side of the map may leave bridges in your opponents hand, but your hero can contribute damage. Backplaying minions delays taking the bridge, but lets you build up a bigger wave. Fighting on the bridges prevents them from going to your opponent, but your opponent may have better cards to reinforce the fight than you.

You may recognize some of the art assets from Forced: Showdown (a roguelike/twin stick shooter/deck builder) or Forced (a coop gauntlet with puzzle and boss battle elements). All three games play completely different, and the original Forced has a much more serious tone.

Beginner Tips:
  • The starter cards and free cards from the first few levels are pretty great and can get you very far
  • Play through the challenges (vs AI) to get a basic sense of the game
  • The free hero (Stormbringer) is perfectly legitimate all the way up to grandmaster league
  • Play both 1v1 and 2v2 to decide what you like more. The ranks are entirely separate
  • Use QWER to play your cards. You can either Q+Click or Q+Q
  • It is ok to say GG just before the game is over (the game won't send emotes after a player is dead)

Intermediate Tips:
  • If you place a multiple minion card along the center line you can take both bridges in one card
  • A 3x minion card can be used to claim a bridge even if they run backwards to attack opponents who have already crossed it
  • Play for value: kill your opponents minions with cheaper cards, take empty bridges with cheap cards
  • If you hold both bridges, you have no pressing need to spend mana
  • Consider “backplaying” expensive tanky minions, by the time they reach the fight you can reinforce them with ranged units
  • It’s rarely worth reinforcing minions on your opponent’s side of the board; save your mana for handling their counterattack
  • Use spells to counter healers or big packs of enemies.
  • Try draft mode at some point

Expert Tips:
  • If you time your plays correctly, your minions will be fighting on the bridge while your opponents are standing just to the side of it
  • In 2v2, look at your teammate’s hand -- if you’re the only one holding an anti-air minion, you may need to play that while your teammate does something else
  • Maximize use of your hero’s auto attack by engaging enemies within range of it
  • Don’t overdeploy just to avoid taking a bit of damage
Grandmaster Tips:
  • Use the wave emote instead of GLHF vs other grandmasters
  • If you cast Beam of Doom on your own face just before winning, the animation will play during the victory screen, making it the “BM of Doom”
  • Blocking the victory camera with a flying minion is also acceptable

Loot System:

The loot system is basically Hearthstone, except you need dramatically fewer cards to build out a deck. I regularly get to Grandmaster with all common/rare cards, and you can build whatever deck using free resources within a few hours of play. You can view the top 20 players' decks in all game modes by clicking the leaderboard button; most decks have 1-3 legendaries, and some have none.

You can have 3 copies of any card, but rarely need more than one, and rarer cards aren't systematically better. Additional copies become “glory”, which unlock cosmetic upgrades and increase the rate you level the battlepass. This is where most of your in-game resources/currency go. The first 3 wins of the day are worth 10x the glory. Battlepass rewards are mostly additional cosmetics and “season tokens”, which become a random card from the newest set.

The game is free to play on Steam, Discord, and XBox. All pools of players play together.

There is various paid "DLC" but it just amounts to more currency, gameplay is the same no matter how much money you spend.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Loot Tips:

When you're just starting out, just play a few games of whatever. The default deck and hero are completely fine, and the starting hero (Stormbringer) is very common in high level play.

You do not need to rely on getting cards randomly -- you can craft whatever you want by hitting the "recruiting" button in the deck builder. Commons and rares are really cheap.

Every power token also gives you shards, which can be used to craft additional copies of any card. The newest season cards cost 3x shards until you finish the battlepass for that season.

• The best use of rubies is the season battle pass, which gives you more glory rewards.
  • Save your gems for unlocking the battle pass. Don’t buy battle pass tiers.
  • If an expedition is available, you can finish it by just playing games how you normally do and taking the “win” objective; that plus the shrines is enough to complete the 3 AI bosses.
  • First, spend your shards on whatever cards and masters you want to play with.
  • Next, spend your shards to level your favorite cards and get glory points faster. Commons level the most efficiently.
  • You can store up to 3 glory chests and 3 daily quests. Winning 9 games once every 3 days if you like.
  • Spend your gold on power tokens and the occasional daily offer (the best of which is cheaper power tokens)

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 25, 2019

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Any plans for an Android version?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Flayer posted:

Any plans for an Android version?
No, but there are plans for an XBox version.

edit: and now it's out

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 21, 2019

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

ShadowHawk posted:

No, but there are plans for an XBox version.
I have a gaming PC so format isn't an issue, it's just it looks like a brilliant game to play on the go. Thanks for clarifying.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Game is now free to play on both Steam and Discord :toot:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Feel like making a guild op?

I like this game, I'm not paying $40 for their dlc add-ons, but they doesn't seem necessary either.

I'd pay $20 for both but we'll have to see if they can keep the experience fresh going forward.

It's way more in depth than rock paper scissors though there is an aspect of that. Playing against other decks is always unique, though I am still low rank.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Also I just got like 400 rubies and 15 upgraded spins by watching the tournament on twitch.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
This has been a pretty fun way to kill time before The Division 2. I'm sure by the time I hit the F2P wall - where I'm encouraged to spend real money - it'll be out and I can move on from this time killer.

That said, the gameplay is pretty fun. I like the frenetic alternative to card games.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

For the next few days there's an entire free pack of stuff (100% discount on steam): https://store.steampowered.com/app/1033840/Minion_Masters__Voidborne_Onslaught/ "DLC" in this game just means cosmetics and ingame currency, all cards are available to everyone.

I'm having a lot of fun playing my "cheap cards" deck all the way to Grandmaster 2v2s, as in 6 common and 4 rare cards. You can build a deck like that in like the first hour of play of this game if you want.

Note you can craft any card (even ones you don't already have) by using the Recruiting button, I found a player in chat who didn't know that and he was level 45.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 21, 2019

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Feel like making a guild op?
I have one! It's called the Harry Kim Fan Club

Just submit a request in-game and I'll confirm it.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 21, 2019

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I'm scratchula

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Game is now out of early access and the latest "DLC" is 100% discounted for the week!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pretty dece game

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

I have one! It's called the Harry Kim Fan Club

PM YokoZar in game, friend me on steam, or just submit a request in-game and post your name here.

Trying this game out, applied as Afro_Squirrel

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This game is strangely addicting and very easy to get into. I did really well with the starter deck and starter hero, just ignoring all the other currencies, and won the vast majority of my games for my first ~6 hours yesterday.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 29, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AfroSquirrel posted:

Trying this game out, applied as Afro_Squirrel

Having trouble finding the guild "Harry Kim Fan Club" but I sent you a friends request on Steam yesterday. :)

[Edit: Of course I found it right after I posted. Had to change the filter from "International" to "Any" when searching.]

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Internet Explorer posted:

Having trouble finding the guild "Harry Kim Fan Club" but I sent you a friends request on Steam yesterday. :)

[Edit: Of course I found it right after I posted. Had to change the filter from "International" to "Any" when searching.]

Same, but I guess I will try searching Any instead of International!

e: yep, there is it. Req'd as Lorccan SMASH

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Feh. I'm stuck hovering around Diamond 1 because I suck. I still haven't found a master I really like, and I just get dumpstered by people with an actual plan. Up til now any old thing seemed viable, but the field of useful stuff definitely seems to be narrowing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I love the first of the month. Good players play such random nonsense on their way back up the ladder. Sometimes you run into eachother and it's like a weird battle of underdogs.

edit: apparently the ranks haven't reset yet, hmm...

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 1, 2019

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
looking forward to talking up/about our man Harry Kim

Are the first few tiers (Wood, Stone and Bronze) populated by trash-tier bots or are these actual humans I am murdering indiscriminately?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The later. And yeah, it's really odd. I climbed through those levels only losing once or twice having only just booted up the game.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like these types of games but dislike that they tend to be free to play garbage. Three currencies? Check. Terrible emotes. Check. Gamble boxes? Check. Dailies? Check. Store that refreshes daily? Rotating heroes? Check. Battle passes? Yep a doodle.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 2, 2019

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

bobvonunheil posted:

looking forward to talking up/about our man Harry Kim
He was a very important character.

quote:

Are the first few tiers (Wood, Stone and Bronze) populated by trash-tier bots or are these actual humans I am murdering indiscriminately?
It's mostly trash tier players, but there do seem to be a few bots running around, I saw someone advertising one once. From what I can tell the bots are really stupid, playing essentially random cards in the same place over and over.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Duck and Cover posted:

I like these types of games but dislike that they tend to be free to play garbage. Three currencies? Check. Terrible emotes. Check. Gamble boxes? Check. Dailies? Check. Store that refreshes daily? Rotating heroes? Check. Battle passes? Yep a doodle.
Yeah this is all understandable. Time spent simply opening tokens can be a bit frustrating in this game.

On the flipside, getting the deck you want to play with requires dramatically less interaction with all that free to play stuff. And the main competitor (clash royale) is blatant pay to win trash.

The game used to cost money (I have a few gift copies of it in my steam inventory). But there's way more players now, so presumably the change has worked.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah this is all understandable. Time spent simply opening tokens can be a bit frustrating in this game.

On the flipside, getting the deck you want to play with requires dramatically less interaction with all that free to play stuff. And the main competitor (clash royale) is blatant pay to win trash.

The game used to cost money (I have a few gift copies of it in my steam inventory). But there's way more players now, so presumably the change has worked.

I like to make decks and so want all of the cards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MinionMasters/comments/bt9gm8/codes_for_new_and_old_players_to_gain_a_massive/

The code for Steam should be used in Steam and not in game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I started playing this because a streamer who I watch for Slay the Spire sometimes was sponsored into playing it and it looked fun.

Turns out, it is super loving fun. Totally worth playing and it's great to play a few matches if I've got 15 minutes to kill. That's anywhere from 3 to 6 matches worth of time. :toot:

[EDIT] Also I don't find the premium stuff to be super predatory. I did throw money in to unlock all the champions because I liked the game and "all the current champs plus all the ones they ever release forever" seemed like a fine pickup. The Battlepass seems high enough that I don't know I could ever afford it off of free to play ruby acquisition, but I also don't feel super obligated to pick it up even if it would be nice to have.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Just got into this recently. Really loving the game. At first appearance, it looked like standard gacha p2w trash. After playing it for a few days now, their economy seems very fair. Interesting progression systems that give fair rewards, if in a slightly boring fashion. Surprisingly deep pool of actually playable units. Wish more of my friends would play this, but they all refuse to even give it a try lol.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Really wish the best for these guys cause Forced was really a hidden gem of a game.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Zaodai posted:

The Battlepass seems high enough that I don't know I could ever afford it off of free to play ruby acquisition, but I also don't feel super obligated to pick it up even if it would be nice to have.
The Battlepass itself will reward half its ruby cost if you play through it.

Not counting free spins, if you can get to diamond you can go infinite. You 6x150 rubies for reaching bronze/diamond rank in each league (1v1, 2v2, 2v2 premade). So far the battlepasses have gone across 2 ranked seasons.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Getting to Diamond in everything might be a bit of an ask, but I'll see what I can do. :v: I'm only up to Gold 3 so far in solos, though I did essentially take last night off from that grind because a friend of mine wanted to play Team Battle. I've been primarily playing the fire guy with a deck I threw together as a bit of a generalist. I've been using it for both 1v1 and 2v2, though before that I was trying to play the snake guy. I like that the snake guy is the king of value land, but his second perk feels like a bit of a let down (because the tower itself is so easy to kill and seems to always get targeted first no matter where I put it) and I don't fully understand how to utilize him. I almost want to just make an all cheap-o deck so I can cycle cards as quickly as possible to get the free cards to come up as frequently as possible?

For 2v2s we've just been playing fire guy and Stormbringer and that seems like a really strong combo, because they cover each other's weaknesses, they both do some chip damage to the enemy tower, and you get to share both fire guy's perk 3 and Stormbringer's perk 2 across the team. Plus my friend's random legendary card was that druid who roots everything and spams moonfire which seems like a nutty card. I got Colossus, which I don't even use in a deck right now because 9 mana seems like a lot to ask and basically a dead card early in matchups, but I dunno. I just run Harbinger as my hammer card at 7 mana instead.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Zaodai posted:

I like that the snake guy is the king of value land, but his second perk feels like a bit of a let down (because the tower itself is so easy to kill and seems to always get targeted first no matter where I put it) and I don't fully understand how to utilize him. I almost want to just make an all cheap-o deck so I can cycle cards as quickly as possible to get the free cards to come up as frequently as possible?
You can place minions/buildings in the "pocket" on the far edge of the screen just above/below the master tower, and in general creatures won't aggro onto them (they'll attack your master tower instead). Apep's level 2 lets him survive to level 3, where he becomes the king of Value town. And you're right, he's often combined with fast cycle strategies, such as 5 very low-cost bridge taking cards.

quote:

For 2v2s we've just been playing fire guy and Stormbringer and that seems like a really strong combo, because they cover each other's weaknesses, they both do some chip damage to the enemy tower, and you get to share both fire guy's perk 3 and Stormbringer's perk 2 across the team. Plus my friend's random legendary card was that druid who roots everything and spams moonfire which seems like a nutty card. I got Colossus, which I don't even use in a deck right now because 9 mana seems like a lot to ask and basically a dead card early in matchups, but I dunno. I just run Harbinger as my hammer card at 7 mana instead.
Both Colossus and Bahra see high level play. Colossus is a bit easier to use in teams as you can back it up with priest or ranged to deal with flyers.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
What's a good way of dealing with super tanky damage absorbers like the Troubadour backed up with some big damage dealers?

That and the Shadow Whelp. These two absolutely wreck me if my opponent has one.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Big tanky guys are honestly best dealt with by using spells to cleave out their support and then just gunning them down with whatever units counter them. Chain lighting or a fireball will mess up the guys behind the Troubadour, and its not like he's going to fight a bunch of targets on his own. You could drop just about anything on him and have them stab him to death if he doesn't have ranged support behind him. Or a single flyer will slowly wear him down.

I haven't actually run into a Shadow Whelp before, but given that it only has 100hp it doesn't sound like it'd actually be that hard to deal with. A small squad of stuff to shoot it when it destealths to attack or a single chain lightning will drop it. And in Chain lightning's case, it can still hit it while stealthed if you know where it is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I forget the cards name, but the two dudes with the stun spears are great to keep on hand for big dudes. I seem to always have them in my deck and when they reach my hand I will generally hold on to them as a counter unless I am doing a big push and their stunning of the master will make a big difference.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Internet Explorer posted:

I forget the cards name, but the two dudes with the stun spears are great to keep on hand for big dudes. I seem to always have them in my deck and when they reach my hand I will generally hold on to them as a counter unless I am doing a big push and their stunning of the master will make a big difference.

They are appropriately named Stun Lancers. Yeah, Stun Lancers are nice to have in your deck. If it's a big guy who actually melee attacks, I actually prefer Defenso Chopper because it will also gently caress up swarms like nobody's business because it gets the counterattack on no cooldown for every target hitting it. Beam of Doom will also work, but I don't run that in any of my decks currently because 7 mana is usually hard to get value for.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Stun Lancers are great for guys who are hitting you. Defenso Chopper is great for guys about to hit you. Good to summon in the path of the Stealth Wyrm thingy too.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

bobvonunheil posted:

What's a good way of dealing with super tanky damage absorbers like the Troubadour backed up with some big damage dealers?

That and the Shadow Whelp. These two absolutely wreck me if my opponent has one.
Magma storm (and beam of doom) are great for big piles of tank+dps. They don't always kill the tanky guy but they usually get their value.

Magma storm in particular counters a lot of high value things that can otherwise wreck you if unchecked - Harbinger, crossbow guild, Stormy, anything+priest, tank+dps, even Styxi.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Just req'd into the guild as AdmiralMundane, game's pretty fun so far. At Silver 4 and have only lost twice :v:

Xad fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Shadow Whelp gets shanked by rain of daggers.

Utility spell to look for is Black Hole. It's unusual in that it doesn't directly solve problems by itself, but it can act as a huge force multiplier by blocking reinforcements so they can be beaten in detail, and can remove things like the healer from the equation for a precious few seconds.