Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

saw yall griping about futaba's magical realism science babble, but, for any american viewer, the most unbelievable part of the show should have been the concept of passenger rail that works well enough to facilitate all of the casual travel sakuta does

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

saw yall griping about futaba's magical realism science babble, but, for any american viewer, the most unbelievable part of the show should have been the concept of passenger rail that works well enough to facilitate all of the casual travel sakuta does

thats how japanese transit actually is tho

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 23, 2021

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

idk pups is from the part of america where hes never seen a bus before

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

idk pups is from the part of america where hes never seen a bus before

Except bus service is also generally garbage.

In short, America is terrible at literally all public transit infrastructure because being good at it would hurt the auto industry.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ibblebibble posted:

Sweetest smile there is.

Well this didn't age well.

Pretty bummed about panda-sis. Really complicated emotions about the original returning since we spent so much time with the other one. Did a good job of communicating Sakuta's struggle with it to the audience.

Any chance Teen Shoko is just Quantum Tunneling to the past to help out Sakuta, because he was kind to her in her (present) Middle School years when she needed a friend/support/etc?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I'm surprised that the show didn't spend more time exploring more of original Kaede. Losing two years' worth of memory is pretty major, and I imagine that she'd have quite the existential crisis to go through.

It definitely happened to Sakuta in some fashion at least! Which I thought the show did a good job of portraying his anguish at losing the old Kaede. However, instead of focusing on the new, interesting dynamics between Sakuta and his sister (ex. how to readjust a relationship when you've been living with an entirely different person for the past two years, or how to deal with a world that's moved forward in time without you), it felt like the show was doing a hasty transition to whatever the deal is with Shoko.

If only there were more episodes. :( Definitely echoing a lot of other posts here in the thread, but the show could have used some extra airtime to breathe in the latter half. This last arc in particular could easily have been be four- or five episodes long!

I still liked the final episode, though. :shobon: As always, Mai and Sakuta's interactions made it worth it. I hope they get their lovey-dovey time in the novels... and I guess maybe in the movie that's coming out next year?

Overall, despite the slightly rushed ending, this was an unexpected but very enjoyable show for me.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm also hoping for some proper and at least semi-normal affection between Sakuta and Mai in the movie. I think we have to be getting at least a standard kiss, but with how cute they've been as a couple I want a straight-up makeout scene. I think you could have a lot of fun with Sakuta's reaction to that, and you don't often see that side of a relationship. Usually it's just one big dramatic kiss, or it's something goofy with extreme fanservice, I kind of want to see the middle ground here.

That was kind of a low-key finale, didn't exactly wrap up how I expected it to. The harmonizing with all the VA's singing the ED at once was next-level good though. I don't listen to that style of song often but I might have to seek it out more now. I've been able to track down the ED with occasional harmony and the voices trading off in between, but it sounds so good during the harmony that I just want that through the whole thing.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 31, 2018

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
to me, the most realistic part was sakuta's parents being able to afford TWO apartments

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Caught up on this show, it was good.

Regarding Shoko theories, Young Shoko first appeared at the end of episode 6 (around the origins of Quantum Butt Entanglement) when Sakuta and Mai are walking together. Old Shoko only appears when Sakuta is alone.

I feel like Young Shoko is a "new" Shoko that appears when Sakuta is forming relationships with other people. When the others are absent he reverts back to seeing Old Shoko which is supposedly unhealthy for some reason. Maybe Old Shoko represents his lack of trust in others, fear of betrayal, and selfishness? While New Shoko is the opposite. Remember how Old Shoko cares a lot about Sakuta, while New Shoko was taking care of cats and stuff.

e: Oops forgot the Science -

Scientific Theory 1: She's a time traveler, and Mai's future daughter. Old Shoko represents Mai's child with another man because Sakuta couldn't maintain the relationship. New Shoko is Mai's child with Sakuta, and a sign the couple are on the right track.

Scientific Theory 2: Shokos are literally manifestations of the workings of Sakuta's mind. Synapses in the brain communicate by electrical signals, which can be measured as energy. Thanks to Einstein's special relativity we have E=mc^2 and energy can be converted to matter.
In the case of mental trauma, the tremendous energy output in the brain results in a big mass i.e. Old Shoko.
In the case of love, the energy output is lower but you still get a decent sized mass i.e. New Shoko, and because love is shared among multiple people it is easier to maintain the requisite amount of energy to stabilize the mass.

TalkLittle fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 13, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know this show is from last season, but goddamn I just rewatched this with my bass player and she laughed her rear end off with this scene.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Koga date was a highlight, and she is very precious.

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1094179882668417025?s=19

Can't believe Sakuta is getting married already.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 9, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got to watch this last week and enjoyed the heck out of it. I feel so out of touch with the current seasons lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i finished a show!

it was good except the finale was not happy enough to remedy the emotional devastation of kaede steeling herself to go outside and then yknow

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Hooray!

Has anyone seen the movie? That came out already, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It came out like 2 weeks ago in Japan, so who knows how long it'll take to come overseas.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Wark Say posted:

It came out like 2 weeks ago in Japan, so who knows how long it'll take to come overseas.

It's playing on sunday at AX, apparently.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
A bunch of Yen Press announcements today, notably https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1146883308233678848?s=19

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1167970751871250433

Neat.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I Do Not Dream of Going To This Movie ASAP

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Just got a ticket for this next Thursday. Hopefully I can make it out of work in time.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Viridiant posted:

Just got a ticket for this next Thursday. Hopefully I can make it out of work in time.

Yep I'm headed to see it tonight. Pretty excited.

Will post a short review with spoilers and markings appropriate.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
Not going to spoil anything. Excellent movie. Really did a great job with story layering and we saw some character stories fleshed out a bit more with the usual supporting roles doing their thing.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

That was a really dark 20 or 30 minutes near the end there, goddamn.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Good to hear that the movie is good! It's officially showing in Malaysia eventually so hopefully I can catch it on the big screen unlike Promare, which seems to be officially Too Gay For Islam.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
But did Sakuta and Mai kiss though

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

That was a really dark 20 or 30 minutes near the end there, goddamn.

Definitely got bleak, yeah.

Repeatedly, even. Every time one grim situation ended, it just got replaced by a new one. Nice way of putting the audience through a wringer, really. Keeps it from getting dull without reducing how painful it is.

But at least it all ended well.

And yeah, good use of the supporting cast. Pretty much everyone at least had a small role, even as the film kept focus on Sakuta, Mai, and Shoko.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Nondevor posted:

But did Sakuta and Mai kiss though

no, and that was my only complaint with the movie

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

:mad: that’s some real bs right there

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Absolutely haram.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it was funny being in a theater of people laughing at subtitles because people read at different speeds. not that many jokes though since the americans did not bite on the cruel teasing koga about her weight. pretty good picture

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it was nice to see full kaede personality. also they shouldve put honorifics in the subtitles because i think they were talking about different shokos sometimes and it wasnt entirely clear

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I'm a bit confused by the mechanics but I think I have a good one-liner summary.

Imagine four Shoko Makinoharas on the edge of a cliff

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MJP posted:

Okay, so I'm a bit confused by the mechanics but I think I have a good one-liner summary.

Oh god.

I'm so in.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MJP posted:

:bisonyes:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I won't let this thread die

Seeing the movie made me realize I never followed up on this very bad good pun idea

Idea: me
Art: Phylodox

Moving in the science room, you're a quantum physics babe
brewing instant coffee, well I guess you've got it made
With a great pony tail and a risqué selfie, you really deserve Kunimi
but he's got a girlfriend, it just isn't fair to see

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The BD of the movie is out, btw, for all you filers.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
This is my favourite anime ever.

I don't think it's close any more. That movie was everything I wanted and more.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Don't do this to me, I need to find time to watch it :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MJP posted:

I won't let this thread die

Seeing the movie made me realize I never followed up on this very bad good pun idea

Idea: me
Art: Phylodox

Very good, very good