Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

You can call it another lonely day. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ul-cZyuYq4

Update on previous page. I'm calling it now: Martha's Army is made up of contradictory libertarians and they want control of Grayling to use its tech to destroy other tech they don't like. I mean, they're already using guns.

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Let's go with Hatter.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Totally Hatter, he's been a bro the entire time

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Definitely going to want to go in for ourselves.

Hatter's a bro but wealthy client in a post-apocalyptic wasteland is a gigantic red flag.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

In it for ourselves.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Hatter tried to sell us out to an evil space ghost, but we can forgive that because now he's gonna make us rich.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Ourselves

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
In For Ourselves, just in case Hatter is trying to sell us out to a rich evil space ghost.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
As much as Hatter is someone you can trust in these trying times, that doesn't extend to his client. And if we've got $200k, we don't care about the money as much as info about our past, so let's do it for ourselves.

ed: gently caress, I forgot we don't have Medic. Still, Philip > Hatter > Martha.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 4, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Martha, some goons just want to watch the world burn

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Look for the ostracon. If they didn't save a copy of your website, help Hatter, he's been solid to you.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ourselves because it sorta feels like hatter is about to get devoured by some unmentionable horror or something

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Ourselves.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Hatter is an OK kinda guy, but this is probably the only chance we'll get to know ourselves.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
ahahahha i love how frank Hatter is about the cure barrel

"know any doctors?"
"no poo poo, right? drat, son. dafugg."

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Ourselves alone.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
We do this for ourselves, not for others.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Looks like the "gently caress these assholes and their creepy plans, I'm raiding me some NSA records" contingent has taken a serious lead. I'll call the voting when I get back to my desk later, but unless a huge swarm of Hatter supporters shows up, this is looking pretty locked up.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
No gods, no masters. (Ourselves)

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Yeah, let's call it there, the will of the hive mind seems pretty clear on this one.

If I don't get any interruptions, it's reasonable to expect the final update tonight or tomorrow.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Phillip Kindred's Final Quest: Camp Grayling

I spent over a month wandering Michigan after I was unfrozen. I met and killed horrible monsters that would give your kids nightmares, and humans who made them look friendly. But I also met a lot of good people. Sure, the world's a rough place these days, and you have to look out for number one. But not everybody took advantage of me.

The Stoat wanted something from me, most people do. I don't know if he ever did get the cryogenic equipment he wanted from Gyges. But he was honest in his dealings with me, and he did save my life that first time I went to Zom Zom's not knowing what the price of a free lunch was. I almost feel bad about bailing on my end of the bargain. On the other hand, I never even used the transponder he gave me, which would have made Grayling a little easier to deal with, so maybe it evens out in the end. And it's probably for the best that he never got his hands on those microwave robots.

Michelle was the nicest. She told me more of my story than anybody else I met, and wanted nothing in return except for my filling her in on why I dropped out of existence. The Anishiinabe are good people, their free food and medicine saved my life a couple of times. I never did stop in to tell her that I found that spirit that was chasing me and killed it to death. Probably just as well, don't need to go spreading stories about that kind of thing.

Hatter and I did business on several occasions, and he never tried to cheat me. He was always fair and honest about what the job was and what I could expect to get from my end of the deal. But in the end, when the chips were down, I needed answers more than money, and that meant reneging on my end of the deal. I never did bother collecting my payment for the Blue Rot vaccine I brought him, I hope that helps make it up to him.

Cale was an rear end in a top hat and I fully regret not tearing his remaining limbs off.

I'll never really know what Elias was up to, but the things that he already did, and my suspicions about his future plans, fully justify my caving his chest in until his heart burst. I’m sorry about his family though. They clearly had some kind of plan in place in event of his death, they’d left by the next time I visited Clearbone Valley. I hope they manage to stay uninvolved with the Church of the Blue Frog. We’re not lucky enough for the Church to fall apart just because I killed their leader.

Martha, if that even was her real name, probably never actually said a single word of truth to me. She and her crazy followers can suck the business end of their rifles as far as I’m concerned. The key she gave mme did end up coming in handy for my needs though.

In the end, I met some good people, some bad people, and some crazy people, but this quest started with my need to learn about my past. It had to end that way too.

I’m just glad, when all was said and done, at least I had some pants on.

The thread vote has spoken, and Phillip is going to ignore all the quests he was given. He’s going to Grayling because the NSA’s PRISM surveillance program stored a large amount of data there, and that might mean answers he hasn’t been able to get anywhere else.

I got bored waiting out the rest of the week for Hatter to get back and decided to let him keep the money. Hopefully it makes up for bailing on the job he expected Phillip to do.

I spent some time paring down my equipment load to the bare minimum. You don’t need and can’t use most of it in Grayling, so most of what I brought with me ended up being overly prepared for the trip there. Which was completely uneventful.

Entry into Grayling involved going through this electric fence. Some areas aren’t as heavily electrified as others, but it’s a crapshoot as to what you’ll get. If I had gotten Stoat’s quest to come here and then not given him the bracelet, he would have given me a black box instead of the orange one (which I totally forgot to bring here with me anyway). The black box could have detected the less electrified part of the fence. But it doesn’t really matter in the end.

Still, that probably hurt like a bitch.

Now, some of you who were paying close attention to the shots of my inventory may have noticed that I pick up every scrap of aluminum foil I come across.

Yes, that is over 300 scraps of foil. I guess I must look kinda crazy, or maybe like an idiot. But this foil is the secret to my success, you see.

With a knife and some thread, you can turn 30 pieces of into a poncho, you see.

Who looks like a crazy idiot now, huh? Huh!?

You might recall we heard some time back that Grayling uses a microwave-based Active Denial System. Foil beats microwave. Stoat and Hatter both suggested looking through old newspapers to find this out, but I don’t think the relevant paper ever turned up. Not long after this system was rolled out, some crazy hippies snuck into the base using this same strategy, made the brass look bad.

Sadly, I can’t bring my sled, which has my six other ponchos, in with me. Luckily, thanks to the odd way this game handles storage, anything on the ground outside is simultaneously on the ground next to me.

Which I didn’t recall at the time, hence trying to carry as many in with me as I could carry. And the doll, yes.

Phillip’s kinda dumb sometimes, and kind of a goober most of the time.

Given that these ponchos are made of ripped up potato chip bags and old thread, they fall apart very quickly. But it was enough to get past the big emitters of the ADS.

Welp. Not getting back out that way.

And now things get gnarly, because we found the robots Stoat wanted.

Roughly speaking, there are four buildings of note here. Philip’s standing next to a storage shed right now, and you can duck into it for free. Trying to get to any other building, unless you use a second poncho or some other means of subverting the robots (V-MADS), is instant death.

Even though I made enough ponchos to be able to skip straight to the last building, each building (except the shed) has useful stuff in it, and I want to show off each way you can circumvent the V-MADS. Fighting them absolutely never works and if you try it you’re an idiot.

A forklift. That’s a start.

A forklift and a rope is better still. But I have Mechanic, and that means there’s one more trick I can add to this.

If you try to just bust out of here driving the forklift, the robots microwave you to death. If you use the rope to rig the forklift to keep moving without a driver and hold to the side, you take some damage (which stacks with what you took getting through the fence), but not enough to be lethal itself. Using mechanic to make the forklift go fast and rigging it to move is the best option, resulting in the least damage to Phillip.

You can technically get to any building this way, the barracks is the next logical step though.

There’s a reason people have concerns with microwave weapons in the real world, they’re kind of hosed up.

There’s a few things to look at in the barracks, but the beds are a good starting place.

Okay, well, that’s kind of personal to whoever this was and not really of any value to me.

*Keeps reading*

I have no idea why this woman’s diary is scattered across multiple beds. Still gonna keep reading it.

Yeah, that turned out great for them Can’t really summon up the feels to feel bad for these two when nearly everybody loving else is also loving dead.

Still, ID card get! You might recall that Hatter instructed us to get this as part of his plan. Even disregarding Hatter, it’s still useful to have later.

Next up, the file cabinets.

Rummaging here gets you the schematics for the V-MADS, which Stoat wanted. Also, some guy’s dishonorable discharge papers. It’s good that Phillip’s kinda remembering things, but if it’s only enough to note that somebody looks familiar, it doesn’t help much.

There’s also a bathroom you can check out, but it’s locked and requires lockpicking to enter. It has a dead dogman in it.

No forklift this time, nothing at all to reduce damage from exposure to the V-MADS. You absolutely need one of the three items to circumvent them here. I already showed the foil poncho (and you probably noticed I’m wearing another one in case of emergency). Stoat’s orange transponder, sitting back in my truck in Detroit, is another. The third is the mechanical doll.

It distracts them long enough to duck into the next building, a control tower.

The control tower is mostly stairs, unsurprisingly.

But halfway up it does have this interesting room.

Something is alive in there. Something big enough that Phillip can hear it breathing.

And that’s the end of that diversion Some answers aren’t meant to be had, I guess.

The control room at the top, while lacking in strange creatures, does have some interesting stuff to look at. Being that the base was mostly converted over for drones sometime before the collapse, there’s clearly no traffic to monitor, but there’s other stuff to look at.

This is probably the tallest building outside of DMC, and although the conditions aren’t great, you can get a good look around.

Fascinating, but not helpful. So glad I never ran into a pack of dogmen in this run though (they often travel in two and threes this far north).

The will of the thread is that Martha can gently caress the gently caress off, so I won’t be implementing her precious Code: Anarchy, but I might as well get the information.

That was completely useless.

With Hacking, Mechanic, or Electrician, you can figure out how to redirect the V-MADS briefly.

“Security check in the barracks. We’ve got a dogman locked in a bathroom.”

And that makes the path to the drone maintenance hangar clear.

Where there’s just the one drone, left pulled apart for servicing however many years ago.

Interesting, but not very useful. These drones were used in conjunction with PRISM, so I doubt it ever actually had any weapons mounted. Maybe some more sophisticated surveillance equipment than what was in the rest of it.

Nowhere else to go but to open the hatch and go down.

Nothing bad could possibly come from being backed into a corner and forced to go down a deep dark hole, right?

Deep. Dark. Hole.

Oh. Well. That’s different.

Hello Blackwhite. Would you like to play a game?

The computer has a text to speech feature for communicating with its user, but still takes commands from a keyboard. Jetsons this ain’t.

Welcome to BLACKWHITE, Phillip’s last, best chance to learn about his past, and the player’s last best chance to find out the answers to all the questions you guys have wanted to know.

Blackwhite is slowly figuring out that maybe Phillip isn’t actually an authorized user. The status bar will fill by 20% for every question you ask, and you’ll be booted when it fills up. You get one extra question for using Hacking to elevate your credentials, using the ID card from the barracks, if you can figure out the password, and for using Martha’s key.

Various queries for Blackwhite appear depending on how much you learned over the course of the game. I learned about the NEO from Michelle, I saw (and killed) the Merga Wraith, and I learned the name Bertrand Ferris, who Phillip’s flashback showed was the person who checked him into Saginaw, so those are all valid things to ask about that wouldn’t appear here otherwise. I can also learn more about Blackwhite and the PRISM program if I had a mind to.

I may have neglected to use Hacking in time and so screwed myself out of one question, but the important bits were covered.

Most of the voters were clear that they wanted Phillip to get his answers. So we’ll focus on asking about Phillip and the NEO. I can’t ask enough questions in one playthrough to get everything, but I can get the important bits and sum up the rest.

Well. That was unhelpful.

I could query it about the CNCI MDR (the Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative Master Data Records, the main data center for where information collected by PRISM and the rest of the alphabet soup is stored), but I’ll sum it up for you: It’s in Utah. Phillip’s next quest is going to involve a hell of a lot more walking.

Alright, so Phillip was a bust. What does the government know about the Merga Wraith?

The wraiths murdered someone and the government got it on camera. Interesting, but not relevant right now.

Blackwhite’s progress bar fills up in 20% chunks. Using Hacking, the card, or the key reduces the bar by 20, but can never take it below 20.

Like so.

Let’s see what we can learn about the Ostracon. Phillip’s life’s work.

Hey, look at that! Phillip’s a spy!

Well, maybe.

Let’s find out more about this security violation.

So somebody with some credentials was involved. That mass of letters indicates that the person had Top Secret, Special Intelligence, Talent Keyhole clearances. Special Intelligence means he was likely involved in sending/receiving of encrypted signals (the M being some sort of section under that, I’m not familiar enough to know which). Talent Keyhole falls in line with that, and means that he worked with space- or aerial-based collection platforms. Considering where we are, probably stuff picked up by the drones upstairs.

Whoever he was, he had an algorithm to compare information obtained from the systems he had access to and information from elsewhere. Whatever that revealed was so important that it was wiped from Blackwhite, the main CNCI system might still have it.

The man who did all that? Corporal Stanley Chisholm, whose name jumped out at Phillip when he saw his dishonorable discharge papers back at the barracks.

There were ten people besides Phillip who helped run the NEO. Whatever happened to them? It’s been fifty years, and the world is hell, but you never know, some of them who were younger then could still be alive.

Neutralized. Lovely. Thank you Uncle Sam.

I made a slight error before in not using Martha’s failsafe key before reading about the NEO. So this ended up being my last query.

Let’s see how they were “neutralized”.

Serves those damned terrorists right, thinking they could run a wiki about the paranormal on American soil.

On the plus side, there’s one member still alive. All Phillip has to do is get to Indiana and then find a man he knows nothing about, doesn’t know what he looks like, and doesn’t go by his own name. Piece of cake!

Still easier than going to Utah and accessing the CNIC database, I guess.

And that’s the last question we can ask Blackwhite. But before we get to Phillip’s thrilling escape, what if you had other questions instead of focusing so much on Phillip himself?

Borrowed directly from the wiki:

Query "PRISM Surveillance Network".: Blackwhite flickers. The status bar continues its climb. "The PRISM Surveillance Network is the CNCI infrastructure focused on monitoring suspicious activity and logging data to the MDR. The gathering, processing, and managing of the data of PRISM is designated the zero directive." 'Suspicious activity' strikes as the most nebulous phrase in its explanation. And you shudder to think how broad its definitions have been before. What exactly was seen as suspicious?

Query "Blackwhite".: "Blackwhite is the cumulative artificial intelligence of Camp Grayling," the machine begins. "Its primary directive is to oversee AAV assets. Responsibilities include: the planning of flight patterns and routes, air traffic control, maintenance schedules, coordination with base personnel, and test data recording, processing, and optimization. Its secondary directive broadens the scope to encompass base security." A task schedule comes on-screen, sharing space with a map of flight routes circulating between military bases across the country. "At present," it continues, "Blackwhite is coordinating a task still incomplete. The last AAV in use awaits a transfer order for its next rotation to Grissom AFB. A PCB containing this information, along with security clearance, is en route."

That last bit is actually critically important information and the ending we’re about to see makes no drat sense without it.

Query "suspicious activity".: Blackwhite splits the screen into three. On the left, you see a patchwork of aerial images and fixed-camera footage of various sites across the state: Detroit's high-rises, suburbs, restaurants, open roads, even wilderness. Most of the signals appear to be noisy, inactive, or dead, but for those that are live, it's shown with unbelievable clarity. The middle panel shows text communications, a mix of clear text and jibberish, logged with identifying info where available. Times, frequencies, latitude and longitude are all listed. A dwindling amount of more traditional info such as email addresses, phone numbers, and IPs accompanies older data. The right panel shows a spectrum visualizer that matches snippets of conversations being played. Like a hybrid of the other panels, whole channels appear dead or garbled, and tagging is incomplete. However, those that are still live are myriad in nature: patrol check-ins, business birthday messages, filthy travelers' banter, voicemails, children phoning their parents. The system is merely a shadow of itself. The infrastructure and protocols upon which it relied now fading. But from what you've seen here, at one point it simply monitored everything in the region.

God bless the USA, huh?

Okay, let’s get to the good stuff.

Query "Bertrand Farris".: An icon resembling an eagle clutching a key rotates at the center of the screen. You harbor few doubts about Blackwhite's reach. If anything can tell you about the faceless man you saw in a retrieved memory, it'll be this machine, now moments away from telling you who wiped your mind and froze your body in a tube. Mere moments. The eagle vanishes. "Found one exact match: records of one Bert Farris crossing the Indiana state border into Michigan in a dark blue sedan with plates DEC-1628. No other digital records of the individual can be found."

Bertrand was the man who signed Phillip into SMI, and then according to this information took him back out later, which would make him Cale’s father.

Once you’ve queried about Bertrand, you can follow up by checking out his license plate.

Query "DEC-1628".: Blackwhite loads a map of Michigan state, and on it begins drawing a path through several cities: north to Sturgis, then east through Coldwater, northeast to Jackson, and finally east to Ann Arbor. Until the last stop, the driver never spends more than a day at each location. Three days after arriving, the path continues north through Brighton, then Burton, and comes to rest at Saginaw. An on-screen prompt then indicates that a week later, the vehicle was towed away.

I have absolutely zero problem believing that the real American government probably logs everybody’s road trips, let alone this version. Given that the car was abandoned at Saginaw, I’m guessing Bert and Phillip changed cars before going to Gyges. Maybe to protect Phillip from the government, who was assassinating everybody who worked with him on the Ostracon?

There’s another bit I wasn’t able to get from the line about the crimes connected to the NEO, where Corporal Chisholm was revealed to be the one who committed the crimes that marked the rest of them as spies.

Query "perpetrator".: Blackwhite plays a recording on the monitor. It shows only a bird's-eye view of a diner out in the middle of nowhere. But it's picking up audio. You hear forks and knives cutting against plates, and two people locked in hushed conversation. "Because they can't do that," a male voice says. "CPL S. CHISHOLM, MOS 15-E" appears at the bottom while he speaks. "I didn't sign up to spy on my own people." "But you don't have proof," says UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER. "You can put it on NEO, sure. But who's going to believe baseless conspiracy allegations?" "Maybe." Chisholm seems to think a moment. "You know? Maybe I do. I have AAV flight plans. Transfer schedules. Their damned mainframe is under our base." There's a pause. "I could get in." There's a long silence. Clinking and murmurs continue in the background. The unidentified voice replies, "You sure you want to do that?" "Yeah..." He doesn't sound sure. But then his confidence renews. "Yes. I'm sure. Beats doing this poo poo another day."

My theory is that UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER is Phillip, but I have nothing to back that up.

Blackwhite is a font of information, and one of the bits that adds replayability is coming back to keep asking more questions so you can learn everything.

But we’re out of time.

It’s time to bail.

Take all the remaining foil ponchos, wrap them around your body, and run in a suit of microwave-proof armor!

Okay, no, let’s not do that. Not that Phillip’s idea is much better.

If you didn’t learn from Blackwhite that this thing is set to run as soon as the board is installed, this would seem really stupid. And Phillip didn’t learn that this run.

Still, somehow this is working. Now Phillip just has to bail out at a safe distance, before he gets to an unsafe altitude.

What? No! Phillip, why are you riding on the UAV? I know that that thing’s going to Indiana, but for all you know it’s just doing a circle and going back to Grayling!

And yet, somehow, it worked.

Well, technically the drone crashed in the swamp, but presumably close enough to the southern edge for Phillip to get out before his lungs dissolve.

And that’s the end folks!

Survival Time: 40 days, 17.05 hours.

You can beat this game in very little time, seeing and learning almost nothing, breaking for Grayling as soon as you have enough foil or another way to circumvent the robots once so you can get to the hangar. You can also spend years living it up in Detroit (the $400/week van in the garage has its own toilet!).

Yes, it feels like an unfinished mess at times. But it’s a well written mess and a lot of fun once you’ve accepted that you are going to die a lot.

I feel like a lot of issues with it feeling unfinished lie in that the developer hated that he’d made the game in Flash, which made it an unwieldy nightmare both for him and for the players. By the end, anything more he intended to add probably didn’t feel worth the aggravation, and he started channeling his creative energies into another game in another codebase, which as far as I’m aware he’s still working on to this day.

I will always regret that there’s no option to shoot Cale.

Incidentally, the ending screen, like the regular game overs, gives you your final statistics, if you were curious about how many things the game tracks:

That bit about the Blue Frog cult being destroyed is a filthy lie, those fuckers were everywhere when I passed back through the area, and they weren’t friendly anymore.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

For the curious, the coordinates for the security breach are in Utah, but it looks more like a housing division than a NSA facility.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

idhrendur posted:

For the curious, the coordinates for the security breach are in Utah, but it looks more like a housing division than a NSA facility.

That's what they WANT you to think. :tinfoil: (I looked this up too - hopefully we're not on some watchlist now :v:)

Truthkeeper, thanks for doing this playthrough. Are you going to show off the alternate endings depending on which faction you choose?

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

quote:

Player has acted significantly more good than evil.

*Looks at the trail of DMC guard patrols with their heads caved in, stripped of anything of value and left to rot anonymously in the wastes*

...Y'sure?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Those guards were clearly evil.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Truthkeeper posted:

Hatter and I did business on several occasions, and he never tried to cheat me. He was always fair and honest about what the job was and what I could expect to get from my end of the deal. But in the end, when the chips were down, I needed answers more than money, and that meant reneging on my end of the deal. I never did bother collecting my payment for the Blue Rot vaccine I brought him, I hope that helps make it up to him.

He's probably dead by now anyway. Based on the contents of the Room the Maga Wraiths do not like it when people keep tabs on them, and Hatter kept a recording of his meeting with one.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Deathwind posted:

Those guards were clearly evil.

Well, I mean, they did did dress all in black and carry high-power weaponry. And they were enforcing the law of an obviously corrupt and evil society.

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

That's what they WANT you to think. :tinfoil: (I looked this up too - hopefully we're not on some watchlist now :v:)

Truthkeeper, thanks for doing this playthrough. Are you going to show off the alternate endings depending on which faction you choose?

There are no actual alternate endings as such. Only the scene where you leave Blackwhite changes, Phillip still ends up running away, confronted by the army of V-MADS, and escaping on the drone regardless.

Still no reason not to post them, it only takes a minute to pull the relevant text from the data file.

Hatter's Quest

quote:

The on-screen status bar stops dead. "Unrecognized process detected" it says in an erratic voice, shifting octaves between one word to the next.

Everything on the monitor is erased. The lights shut off. A deeper quiet fills the room.

"Attempting..."

Its voice trails off, leaving you alone in darkness

When the screen comes on again, its light bathes the space around you into a sanctuary of mortal red. An insignia curdles black on the screen. It's a partly open eye encasing the lower half of a globe as its iris, while a sun at mid-rise is painted over the eyelid. But the way the rays and lashes curl-it's as if the world is on fire.

An eerie, fractured voice speaks, a conglomeration of people: "Another minute of the night is dispelled, and we are the hour of a brighter dawn drawing near. For your contribution, our gratitude undying is yours."

Then, a deafening alarm sounds. "To claim the base, we must purge it. Run now, citizen, if you wish to see the daylight come. Run, or stay forever in the night."

And then Phillip ran.

Martha's Quest

quote:

You recall the command code for the Anarchy process. They're strange and dark words, but Martha has it right. The PRISM Surveillance Network shouldn't be in anyone's hands, especially in times as desperate as these. The base must fall.

You switch input modes, and when Blackwhite accepts the instruction, you recite: "Always are the Martians coming."

But the stillness of Blackwhite only lasts a short while. The machines and lights return to life as before, surrounding you in a rising tide. But it seems louder than it once was.

When the monitor returns with name and status bar, Blackwhite speaks in a voice twice as loud. "Code: Anarchy initiated. All assets will be terminated, all data will be erased, and all functions will cease. Blackwhite must now invoke Condition Charlie to ensure the command's execution. All defenses are authorized to use lethal force against intruders."

A screeching alarm pulses through your ears. "The terminal will lock down any attempts of access while awaiting executive confirmation."

You stagger away from the desk. Something's gone wrong.

And then Phillip ran away.

The moral of the story is that Hatter's client might be alright or might not, but Martha's Army are a bunch of fuckups.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I wonder what's up with the "Contractor" maiming the various NEO admins. Maybe it was a Merga Wraith?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Lazy Bear posted:

*Looks at the trail of DMC guard patrols with their heads caved in, stripped of anything of value and left to rot anonymously in the wastes*

...Y'sure?

ACAB :killing:

And yeah, I may have gotten so interested I didn't want to wait and looked up Hatter's ending, which is why I pushed for it. Better Greyling's put to use for SOME purpose, hopefully murdering all dogmen and melonheads via boiling. Either way, it's a super neat game that I'd have never bothered playing myself, and I'm curious what the creator's working on instead since I wanna see more of their stuff. Thanks for LPing it, Truthkeeper!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Always wondered what the end to this looked like. Thanks for LPing it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for LPing this! I tried playing this before, but kept bouncing off the clunky interface, and I’m no stranger to clunky survival games.

I looked it up, and the developer’s commentary on the game actually reveals a little bit more about what the deal is with the Merga Wraith(s), though since very little of this is mentioned in the game, how much of it you consider to be canon is up to you. (Fairly major spoilers for any potential sequel, so be forewarned.)

In the Neo Scavenger world (or, to be more precise, the Neo Scavenger Multiverse), Consensus Reality is especially strong - the laws of the universe are, by and large, what people believe them to be. Aeons ago, an entity named Merga not only figured this out, but also figured out how to exploit it. It swiftly ascended to godhood, set up an alternate dimension of its own, and created multiple servants to suppress all knowledge of the supernatural in various other dimensions - partly for their own protection, but mostly to prevent anyone else from discovering the same principles it discovered, and rising to challenge it.

The New Earth Ostracon was the greatest challenge to this task in the Neo Scavenger universe, and the Wraiths were sent to suppress it through any means possible. Somehow, while Philip was frozen, the Wraiths failed in their duty and the full-blown cryptidpocalypse occurred.

The main hint from Merga’s realm you get about this is the children’s book, the one about creating a realm of imagination that became more and more real the more people imagined it. This is, incidentally, why Philip has to establish his reputation in a flashy, showy way to gain his Legendary status and skills - it’s not enough for him to just have those capabilities, enough people have to believe in them to power him up to a point where he can take on the Wraith.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 5, 2018

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I figured out the consensus reality thing from the kid's book but it somehow never clicked over to the fact that that's why you don't get the two super talents unless what you do is really flashy and people find out about it :eyepop:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Thanks for the LP! This was definitely an interesting game to follow.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Before you die in a random car crash/mugging/animal attack, let me just say that I enjoyed this LP, good job, would read another one.

Truthkeeper posted:

My theory is that UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER is Phillip, but I have nothing to back that up.
There's no way there wouldn't be some special reaction to Philip hearing his own voice saying things he forgot.

Inadequately posted:

it’'s not enough for him to just have those capabilities, enough people have to believe in them to power him up to a point where he can take on the Wraith.
So that's why he gets both reps after killing the wraith - the other wraiths are aware of his power, thereby feeding it.

Also, what exactly happens in the $200k deal with Hatter? You sell him both a vial of Blue Rot virus to trigger an epidemic, and a barrel of vaccine/cure to sell to anyone who gets sick, hence the "millions of buyers" comment?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 5, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, aluminium is much simpler than what I assumed he'd have to do, the old metal umbrella. (i.e. you cover an umbrella in metal, then hold it up above you and look through a slot)

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

PurpleXVI posted:

I wonder what's up with the "Contractor" maiming the various NEO admins. Maybe it was a Merga Wraith?

Same. Found that part confusing.

Awesome LP!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

It's a tossup, "contractor" is a common euphemism for assassins. On the other hand, using Merga Wraiths as assassins would exploain why the government has records of them offing people.

Kitfox88 posted:

And yeah, I may have gotten so interested I didn't want to wait and looked up Hatter's ending, which is why I pushed for it. Better Greyling's put to use for SOME purpose, hopefully murdering all dogmen and melonheads via boiling. Either way, it's a super neat game that I'd have never bothered playing myself, and I'm curious what the creator's working on instead since I wanna see more of their stuff. Thanks for LPing it, Truthkeeper!

There's a lot to wonder about Hatter's backer in his scenario, it's not out of the question to assume that it's somebody from the actual government trying to restore order.

As for the developer's current project, I haven't looked into it closely, but it seems to be another survival-based game, this one in a more sci-fi setting. And not made in loving Flash.

Inadequately posted:

Thanks for LPing this! I tried playing this before, but kept bouncing off the clunky interface, and I’m no stranger to clunky survival games.

I looked it up, and the developer’s commentary on the game actually reveals a little bit more about what the deal is with the Merga Wraith(s), though since very little of this is mentioned in the game, how much of it you consider to be canon is up to you. (Fairly major spoilers for any potential sequel, so be forewarned.)

Would you believe that I only stumbled upon all that during this LP and never knew about it before? It's fascinating and explains a lot about how the world works and what's going on.

Pierzak posted:

Before you die in a random car crash/mugging/animal attack, let me just say that I enjoyed this LP, good job, would read another one.

There's no way there wouldn't be some special reaction to Philip hearing his own voice saying things he forgot.

So that's why he gets both reps after killing the wraith - the other wraiths are aware of his power, thereby feeding it.

Also, what exactly happens in the $200k deal with Hatter? You sell him both a vial of Blue Rot virus to trigger an epidemic, and a barrel of vaccine/cure to sell to anyone who gets sick, hence the "millions of buyers" comment?

I'm bouncing around ideas for my next project, currently looking at either a Minecraft mod called Blightfall or the shop sim/dungeon crawler Recettear. Unless I think of something else I want to do instead. Not much attention span over here.

As for the Medic version of the Blue Rot deal, nothing ever ends up coming of it, but it's not quite as bad a situation as I implied. Maybe.

Phillip the Medic sells the vaccine
"This is basically a ready-made clinic," you offer. "Literally no production. Just distribution."

"Yeah, no kidding, huh?" Hatter still seems surprised. He steps toward his desk, and rests against it.

"And a bigger outfit," you continue, "could probably ride this drum until they reverse-engineered it from samples."

You pause a moment, to let that sink in.

"I think we're looking at franchise-level customers," you finish.

Hatter thinks motionlessly a bit longer, then snaps back to life.

"Okay," he starts. "I think I know where to start." He steps back around his desk, and starts looking something up.

"I think I have a contact that can take this to the next level. I'll need to press a few palms in the DMC, and they'll probably want to come out here to examine the goods."

He pauses to look up. "Can you leave it here?"

And then when you come back in a week...

For the first time you can recall, another client is ushered out to make way for you. Once they're rattling down the old elevator, Hatter breaks the silence.

"I have some good news," he says, clearing some things from his desk.

"Turns out there was a *very* enthusiastic buyer in the DMC. They were skeptical at first, but upon examining the materials for themselves, they made an offer that instant."

"Seriously," he adds. "We're talking cash in hand, and a hover transport on standby."

"I'm not sure what they did to clear customs with it, but not our problem."

"*Our* problem," he jests, turning a tablet to face you, "may be what to do with their payment." He indicates a number. "Our not insignificant payment, as you can see."

He turns the tablet back, and starts flipping menus. "I suspect this might change a few things for you, Mr. Kindred. Indeed, it will for me, too."

He has his guards arrange your payment

On the smaller deals where you sell one or the other of the vials directly the Hatter, he generally pays you around two thirds of what he expects to get reselling it. Assuming similar numbers, based off the $200k Phillip gets paid here, somebody just paid $300k for the drum of vaccine, the one shot vaccine sample, and the one shot of virus. My theory about somebody gearing up to do exactly what I accused Elias of doing still sounds the most likely, but there are other things that could be going on.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Truthkeeper posted:

shop sim/dungeon crawler Recettear.

Yes please.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Truthkeeper posted:

the shop sim/dungeon crawler Recettear.

I'd pay attention to a Recettear LP. Already played and beat the game, but I'm sure there's stuff I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Recettear owns and is worth examining.