Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Heir03 posted:

Yes please.

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd pay attention to a Recettear LP. Already played and beat the game, but I'm sure there's stuff I missed.

Same here. It's such a stupid and goofy game, but it still kept me playing to the end. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah this was a really cool LP, thanks for doing it - i'd never heard of this game and it's surprisingly neat

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wait, so the world ended up covered in cryptids solely because of your dumb conspiracy wiki?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wait, so the world ended up covered in cryptids solely because of your dumb conspiracy wiki?

um

gently caress

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i never expected that the spooky interdimensional murder ghost was the real hero all along

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I dunno, I think that Pre-Amnesia Phillip may have been on the cusp of figuring out how to transcend.
Well. That or the wiki itself.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Well we can't say that with absolute certainty. After the breakdown of society, creepy old stories about scary stuff that you never worried about when you had a bed in a warm house in a community suddenly seem a lot more real when you're shivering in some old rags clutching a sharp stick and trying to sleep in the burnt wreckage of a building.

Also let's not forget that the NEO wiki was being wiped out by the government. Phillip went into hiding to get away from either the government, the Merga, or both, 9 of the 10 administrators were murdered, and effort was put into taking the wiki down. A lot of the cryptids were starting to become real and that helped to lead to the collapse, but Phillip and the NEO can't be solely responsible for that. I'm forming the roots of a headcanon where the fifty thousand apocalypses that destroyed society were all caused by the Merga to prevent any human from gaining the same power it has, the rise of the cryptids could easily have been another tool in that box, along with smallpox, Not!Monsanto, and civil wars in nearly every country including the ones in space.

At the same time though, the wiki is probably partially responsible. Not just because of the information being collated, but Phillip was going out of his way going to people like Michelle's father to collect oral traditions. He probably drove up interest in stuff like that and led to a lot more people going out of their way to learn about things they otherwise might skip even if they weren't reading the wiki.

Now here's the interesting question: did the government become super-evil with spying on and murdering citizens far beyond anything we see today because everybody believed that's what the government is like?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Truthkeeper posted:

the shop sim/dungeon crawler Recettear. Unless I think of something else I want to do instead. Not much attention span over here.

I'd love to see an LP of Recettear. I've played a bit of it, but have always gotten distracted midway through, so it'd be cool to see more of it.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

OOrochi posted:

I'd love to see an LP of Recettear. I've played a bit of it, but have always gotten distracted midway through, so it'd be cool to see more of it.

It's one I've always wanted to play but frankly I just don't have the time, so an LP would be amazing.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

OOrochi posted:

This is my boat as well.

Cossack
Mar 2, 2012

You see Sigmund here.
Sigmund hits you.
You die.
Here I thought the implication was that Phillip was the tenth administrator using an alias! I mean, the first two initials match up and the use of aliases is on the file and everything. It'd also explain the lack of pictures on both their records

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Cossack posted:

Here I thought the implication was that Phillip was the tenth administrator using an alias! I mean, the first two initials match up and the use of aliases is on the file and everything. It'd also explain the lack of pictures on both their records

It's one possibility, sure. Although the initials don't quite match up, Admin#10 is PKD, Phillip is just PK.

Although it does explain a fair number of seemingly unconnected events pretty well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

The developer had some… odd ideas about the advancement of technology by 2019 if he thought cryogenics was going to become viable. This game came out in 2014, there’s really no excuse. He would have been better off pushing it forward another decade at least.
Sorry to pick this little comment here back up again almost six pages later, buuuuut I don't actually think this is true. You might not know this, but this game has been in development hell for... hell, longer than I can remember, really. Ten years at least - I think I stumbled over it for the first time back in 2004 or something to that tune. The reason it feels weird is because 2019 actually was the far future when the guy started writing his setting. Assume that you were frozen around 2025-ish and it would've been two decades after he came up with the idea, which was already in the game when I first played the ultra-early pre-alpha back in the day.

MechaCrash posted:

I think the reason the "mystery meat" at Zom Zom's is described as "kind of like veal" is because the usual point of comparison is pork.
I read about an anthropologist once who travelled Africa visiting indigenous tribes and was once invited to a tradition post-war "victory dinner," as it were. :v:

He says that the, contrary to common belief, actually doesn't taste like pork at all. He says it's actually like very tender veal. Maybe the developer read the same article as I did.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Truthkeeper posted:

Admin#10 is PKD
Philip Kindred Dick? :v:

wait

:aaaaa:

:tinfoil:

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for the quality LP and I'm looking forward to what you do next!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Thanks for the great LP, Truthkeeper, and for ending it with matching shoes! :) Wherever Philip might end up, at least he doesn't look like a complete doofus.

masam
May 27, 2010
Also kindred was phillip k dicks mothers maiden name some im pretty sure he is supposed to be the tenth administrator, as guessed earlier in the thread.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

masam posted:

Also kindred was phillip k dicks mothers maiden name some im pretty sure he is supposed to be the tenth administrator, as guessed earlier in the thread.

Huh, you guys are putting up a convincing argument, and it seems more likely as I look over Blackwhite's files again. It explains why the government had data on Phillip, but all the relevant details about him were on the master system. Especially if there were only a total of ten people with admin rights, Phillip would pretty much have to be one of them.

Alright, I'm ready to start forming a super-rough sequence of events.

So, the government didn't have a definitive description of PKD, but they were closing in on him anyway. He contacted Bertram Ferris, Cale McAllen's father, through the Deep Web, and they arranged a plan. We know that Ferris picked up a passenger, who I previously just assumemd was PHillip but Phillip also being PKD helps flesh that out, and they drove from Indiana to Michigan, coming in from the southwest, possibly from as far west as Gary. They came up through Sturgis, through Coldwater and Jackson before stopping in Ann Arbor for three days. There were other stops along the way, none for more than a day. Those were more than just rest stops, you can do Gary to Ann Arbor in an afternoon if conditions are good. Maybe PKD was looking for the talisman, Michelle noted that he brought it with him when he first met her father.

My theory is that it's in Ann Arbor where they hook up with Michelle!Dad and whoever he gets together to work on the talisman. Their efforts protect PKD from the Merga and its wraiths by some means, but he still needs to hide from the government. But PKD has a plan. He's got a bunch of aliases, including Phillip Kindred, which he's been using at least since starting this daring escape (he was using it when he met the Anishinaabe), and he's going to keep using it. So Ferris and Kindred swing north, up through Brighton and Burton to Saginaw, where they ditch the car, which is towed a week later. Presumably having switched cars, they move on to Saginaw Mental Institution, which might be in the town of Saginaw but is certainly somewhere in Saginaw County. Ferris checks Kindred in under his current alias.

Some time later, Ferris takes Phillip, who has been subjected to various treatments possibly including electroshock therapy, which might be the reason for his memory loss, and brings him to Gyges and has him frozen. Ferris is in charge of paying for Phillip's stay in the cryo chamber, and arranges for a bank account to make the payments even after his death. We can't say for certain when or how Ferris died, but we know he had a son during that time who was old enough to be angry that his daddy didn't pay enough attention to him. Ferris likely died before or just as the world started going to hell, there's no way he would have left Phillip in Gyges after the apocalypse. Somehow, Gyges keeps running despite the lack of any staff and keeps billing the account Ferris set up, which works out great until his idiot son decides he wants to be a pretty pretty mermaid and wastes the whole account.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
phillip didn't cause the apocalypse or the collapse of society, but he's the reason there are cryptids running around. he is also inspired the disease cult. the game ends with him endlessly chasing his own tail, to no purpose or benefit.

ha, that's pretty good.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

phillip didn't cause the apocalypse or the collapse of society, but he's the reason there are cryptids running around. he is also inspired the disease cult. the game ends with him endlessly chasing his own tail, to no purpose or benefit.

ha, that's pretty good.

How did he inspire the evil frog cult anyway?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

ha, that's pretty good.

Yeah, that fits the general tone of the world pretty well. Though there was at least a bit of hope for the future in the very end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

How did he inspire the evil frog cult anyway?

the frog bible was based off of doodles phillip made when he was at the sanitarium. also, i think he met the high priest there. it's vague and unclear, and it may be that there's no particular reason phillip's set of insane ravings caught on.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

the frog bible was based off of doodles phillip made when he was at the sanitarium. also, i think he met the high priest there. it's vague and unclear, and it may be that there's no particular reason phillip's set of insane ravings caught on.

Doesn't really work. The doodles are on his discharge paperwork, which logically wouldn't have existed while he was there. I don't think Phillip made the drawings, although they may have been drawn by another patient, possibly Elias' father, based on things he said.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
One thing I don't get, though, if it's all consensus reality, why does Sacred Indian Magic(tm) in particular protected Philip from the Merga Wraiths? Like, by that logic, anything enough people believed in should have done it. A circle of salt, a crucifix, singing the national anthem, etc.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Maybe ~The Magic Of The Natives~ was the only consensus belief strong enough way back when?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Maybe he needed to believe it himself?

Edit: they claimed the HE designed the symbol, they only made it for him.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You know, in the context of the final words of Sergeant Whatshisname, the one who got us the inside scoop on the prism project, it seems rather believable to me that civil unrest caused by those reveals may actually have been what set off the end-of-the-world situation on the government level, at least US-locally. Martha's Army becomes a whole lot less weird and psychotically ideological if you think of them as the one-to-two-generations-removed remnants of the political activists that gave the original "gently caress you, Big Brother" kick that took the government down and made it unable to meaningfully respond in the face of the crisis.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh right, is that place in the forest with all the domes you see from the tower somewhere you can visit?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The developer has just announced a new game set in the same universe.

Steam posted:

A noir spaceship-life sim, set in a solar system cut-off from a ravaged Earth. Design your one-of-a-kind spaceship. Hire crew with physical and emotional needs. Enjoy detailed ship control panels and interiors. Then manage your dysfunctional crew and ship as you fend off bankruptcy...or worse.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Yeeeeesss

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That looks neat!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
The name is throwing me - I keep expecting it to be like, a game about an East German space program or something.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully this one won't be programmed in flash :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hopefully this one won't be programmed in flash :v:

Looking at the trailer I can say that it is not made in flash.