Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I'm so glad someone's doing a SSLP of this game. I got reasonably far on my own but the permadeath was just too punishing.

Whatever caused the end of the world seems to have brought all the regional folklore out of hiding. In addition to the Enfield Horror, the Michigan Dogman is also a thing.

Camp Grayling is also a real place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I never met the Anishinaabe. In all my games I just headed straight east (standard videogame logic: always keep going right) and never explored north past Zom Zom's. Never discovered the fairgrounds either. There's a lot of important content I missed, it seems. Have these things always been in the game, or were they added in updates?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Jeepers, it feels like you've beaten the game and you haven't even gotten to Detroit yet.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Truthkeeper posted:

Let us close the book on Phillip the Scavenger.

Although NEO Townie doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Also, I guess it should be no surprise that the Seven Gables murder house is real Michigan folklore, although folks can't seem to agree on the particulars.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I'm surprised and impressed by the writing quality found in this game.

I mean, most of the gameplay is terse description of weather and combat results. But when where there's an actual "scene" (too infrequent IMO), the text is great, the ideas are fascinating, the dialogue is solid and the descriptions are rich and multisensory.

Basically I kinda wish this were a text adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I can't imagine anyone beating this without disabling permadeath.