Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I wanted to like NEO Scavenger, but it just felt pointlessly fiddly in a lot of places, and considering the number of parameters to juggle(temperature, water, food, everything you carry coming apart at the seams ridiculously quickly, etc.) it just felt like a chore that was more determined by your luck on scavenging rolls than on your decisions. :v:

Curious to see what I missed out on in this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Huh, was the portal thing patched in later? I could swear I managed to beat the Wraith at one point but don't remember it as a result.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

If the Merga Wraith kills you, does that get you a novel death screen/description or is it just the usual combat log with "MERGA WRAITH PUNCHES [PLAYER'S] HEAD OFF."?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, I remember Detroit as being a great place to gently caress yourself over if you're impatient or used to games without permanent consequences. Because a lot of stuff that'd just be a "lol u fail, try again?" or "you lose 2 HP's, try again?" in another game, here is basically: "Okay, now roll whether you survive at all, and if you survive, good loving luck even getting close to Detroit again, suckerrrrr."

Also without the spirit-repelling sticks, is the only way to survive the Spooky Urn House by basically soaking up a lot of hits and going the right way in the dark?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Truthkeeper posted:

Sort of. Mostly, you're fine as you go through. The basement remains harmless, and entering the room with the urn will just get you smacked around a little. At which point you can either leave, or run deeper into the house trying to escape the spirit or spirits attacking you. At which point you're taking your life in your hands and the wrong move can absolutely get you killed. I think the absolutely ideal you did everything right path through gets you stabbed once and needing to get the mask off, but otherwise unharmed. THe mask

Can you actually get the spooky murder hat off, though? I thought you were stuck with it if you put it on.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So the gauss cannon drones that can pop in to back up the guards if you don't pulp their brains fast enough, are those killable like the Merga Wraith or an insta-death event?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have to admit I never really liked the whole Cale sequence. It feels like you're railroaded into one garbage option that gives you very little in exchange for getting booted the gently caress out of Detroit.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pierzak posted:

I remember reading that he spent the money which was supposed to pay for Philip's cryo on a high-tech prosthesis so he could have his legs cut off and work in the aquapark as a merman because he's basically a furry. Or was that something from an earlier version? It's been a few years since I played the whole thing.

The way it's written now, it feels more like it was an injury that he's somehow blaming Philip for.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Do you need a Frog Cult outfit to get inside, or to even approach_

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Truthkeeper posted:

As I'm given to recall, no. At least I don't remember dying horribly the very first time I went there where I got the path where Elias goes nuts and starts shooting everything and I had to bail naked.

Is there actually ever any clue or explanation as to why a Merga Wraith annihilates Eddie at the end of that one sequence, though?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hatter tried to sell us out to an evil space ghost, but we can forgive that because now he's gonna make us rich.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I wonder what's up with the "Contractor" maiming the various NEO admins. Maybe it was a Merga Wraith?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Truthkeeper posted:

the shop sim/dungeon crawler Recettear.

I'd pay attention to a Recettear LP. Already played and beat the game, but I'm sure there's stuff I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

One thing I don't get, though, if it's all consensus reality, why does Sacred Indian Magic(tm) in particular protected Philip from the Merga Wraiths? Like, by that logic, anything enough people believed in should have done it. A circle of salt, a crucifix, singing the national anthem, etc.