Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

PhazonLink posted:

, reading books to service dogs. its technically for kids, but it just lists the lower bound for ages.

I'm delighted and confused. Are you saying that a person comes to the library every month and reads books to a group of service animals? You mention a lower bound for ages - does that mean the books are written for YA or older? Are the owners of the service animals also present - and are they children?

I'm giggling imagining a group of a dozen animals, mostly dogs but a few other species, listening in rapt attention as a kindly older gentlemen reads aloud from a Dean Koontz airport thriller while no other humans are present.

fake edit: I threw most of that at Microsoft's AI and this is my favourite of the images it generated: https://www.bing.com/images/create/...e=1&form=SYDBIC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Today, I'm the weirdo in the library.

I found a 3-piece stereo at the local salvage-from-landfill shop for next to free, and brought it into my university office to pump out the sound from my computer during long boring Zoom meetings where I just sit back and watch the talking heads. And, occasionally listen to music - if the offices next to mine are empty (walls are thin). Anyway, I don't yet have the cable needed to connect it to my computer but I wanted to test it so I went to the university library and found a couple of CDs.

After I found the disks, I sat down at a library computer to look for a book or two - I'm interested in Australian popular music (one of the disks is Disk 1 of a 5-disk set of greatest Australian hits of the second half of the 20th century) and I was hoping to find something to read when I don't feel like working. Everything was online only, so I'll read them online or download the PDFs at my office. Oh well, I'll check these two disks out.

The self-checkout is gone. I went to the desk, and the librarian checked me out. She had to type in the numbers on my staff card, and then type in each barcode number on the backs of the CD cases. No scanner. I assume there is a scanner somewhere, she just didn't feel like setting it up for one person with two items. I also assume that very few people borrow physical items at this university library anymore.

I felt like a time-traveller - borrowing CDs for a 20-year-old stereo and actually walking across campus to do so.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tippecanoe posted:

Welp, accepted my academic job offer and sent in my resignation letter, so I'm turning in my weirdo card. Best of luck, fellow public library weirdos :)

Um... as an academic (non-library), I'm not sure how to understand your assumption that your weirdo card won't still be 1000% valid at your academic job.

Also: congratulations!