Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Turbinosamente posted:

There is also the thing where manga is filed alphabetically by title in bookstores. I don't know if libraries do this as well or not because I shamefully haven't been to mine in a while.

With manga, libraries tend to do it by author because library classification systems generally go by subject, subsection, and then author name. Most manga at public libraries is held in a popular fiction/nonfiction section and is organized by author name and then series. There's not an exact system because they're not cataloging it under the Dewey Decimal or Library of Congress system. Western comics are obviously a different thing altogether due to different authors and often a lack of continuity in publication for characters and/or teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember we had these law journals that we got in print because the digital subscription was more expensive.

They weren't journals, though; they were volumes of laws and regulations kept in 3-ring binders. So periodically someone had to go around taking out pages and putting in new ones to reflect changes in the law.

My academic library, until recently, had a journal on hospitality law, titled Hospitality Law, that would come in the form of several hole punched pages. They discontinued the print version of it but it made it really easy to collect and "bind" when the binder got full and we just shelved it, got a new binder. We used to actually bind them into a book but we don't bind anymore, just box, so it ended up working out well.