Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Does anyone have experience with teen librarianship? I do paraprofessional work at a small academic library right now, and I just started working on my MLIS. The part of the job that I like the most is doing stuff that brightens the faces of our students. Getting student art in the library, getting comics and manga in the library, helping students find books, advising for a club, things like that. I have to work within somewhat narrow parameters because, as an academic library, our main budgetary focus is on meeting students' educational needs. So the resources we can allocate to stuff to delight/enliven our students is limited and treated with a sense that like, this is a treat, not the main course. (Keeping an up-to-date collection that meets students' intellectual needs is obviously crucial).

Makes me think that maybe what I'm looking for once I have my degree is to do young adult librarianship. I really like the idea of cultivating a safe space where teens can have access to resources that will let them grow into themselves. I also kind of genuinely find younger folks fun to be around, and I think I'm generally pretty patient toward them and just want them to flourish. (I once had a student tell me that I reminded them of Rebecca Sugar and it made my heart grow three times in size). But I also recognize that I'm working with a demographic of like, 16-20 year olds, and that might be a different vibe than working with 13-18 year olds. I'm just not really sure what YA librarianship is like in terms of the day-to-day or what qualities it demands.

library weirdo story: Once had a patron walk into the library, pull a book off the end of a shelf, sit down and pull out a blender, and start making a green smoothie. When I told him he couldn't use a blender in the library, his response was "But I just got out of the gym! And besides I'm uh... [squints at book] learning about the Himalayas!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU