Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

snergle posted:

was she short and hispanic? i went to highschool in north ca with a girl who went to school every day in an elaborate victorian dress with immaculate goth make up she put on every day on the bus with me. no mirror no mistakes. She wasnt a furry but this was mid 90s and furries werent huge then.

yeah it had to be the same girl in both northern california and florida, because the alternative is that there are two goth girls in the country and that seems pretty hard to believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Spoiler warning: Lolita is in fact literature and is also not pro-pedophile or a romance, all the efforts of stupid/gross cover artists notwithstanding. Even Humbert Humbert realizes by the end that he's a monster.

Sounds like the sort of thing a pedophile would say to keep his filth on the shelves. We're on to you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

therobit posted:

So it smells like a library?

The aroma of old books and hobo pants. So, 50% good. love that hobo stank

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Aunt Beth posted:

Here in Rochester, NY there are plenty of them. Ours are usually in uniquely decorated birdhouse-meets-cabinet structures in people’s front yards. I can think of a church in my neighborhood that has one, but they’re Lutheran and so generally don’t try to stuff theirs with anything particularly preachy. Sometimes people put things other than books in them along with the books, like postcards and things.

(Photo not mine, but similar to the ones in my neighborhood)

They're pretty popular here in Albuquerque too. There's one extremely fancy one down the street from my house; there are three shelves, each about two feet wide, and they stay packed.

I went to school in Rochester and I liked it. I found their public library system pretty good, too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ColdPie posted:

People have this weird thing about throwing away books. "I can't throw away this Economics textbook from 1996! Don't you know the Nazis burned books?" So they clutter up Little Free Libraries, or donate them someplace, or give them to Half Price Books, who then throw them away on their behalf.

Become the little free library hero: arrange all the Netscape 2.0 For Dummies etc. books in one corner, then come back after dark, grab them all, and throw them away.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

please put the old books into the paper recycling, thanks

lol, just lol, if your city has separate paper recycling or in fact does anything except put all the recycling into the dump because the contract with the chinese recycling company didn't get renewed

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

yes, little free libraries are generally bookshelves for people who can't throw stuff away. so let us help them!

btw, did your avatar come from Bailey illustration? (nws)

Yep, although when I bought the avatar I didn't know that, just saw somebody post it on the forums and liked it. A couple weeks later somebody posted a link to a big collection and it was awesome, although I still like mine the best.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

This reminds me of the Academic Library I used to work at, way back when conscription was a thing objectors were forced to work in the library.

Service guarantees citizenship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My little hometown library was 4 rooms of about 10'x10' each. Three had books (kids, fiction, and nonfiction), the fourth was where the librarian sat and (eventually) the one Internet terminal was, along with a little round table where you filled out the carbon forms to check out books.

The selection wasn't great but we had a free ILL system that would actually mail the book directly to your house in these little zippered cloth bags. It was a great window to a larger world for me as a small town kid. I remember checking out Unix For Dummies and reading about vi and emacs and all that poo poo, THEN getting an old computer and installing Linux.

I peeked through the windows while I was home for Christmas and saw that they've got 6 Internet computers in there now, and they've stripped down the fiction section to make room for more DVDs, which saddens me a little but if playing Blockbuster is what it takes to keep the library open, I guess I'm cool with it.