Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

CynCyanide posted:

:smith:

I've had branch staff send us emails asking for help with their passwords. The head of marketing once forwarded an email from a customer to the entire department and admitted in that email that she didn't really know what Tech Services does.

Literally every basic cybersecurity thing is "staff will not ask you for your password, keep up with your password".

Come on.

One thing I don't get about gen x and back in particular is how they used to have dozens of phone numbers memorized, but usually have this issue. I hate the amount of passwords we have to recall normally, but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

There's something special and different about numbers.

Yeah. It's that they literally reverse themselves. (I have dyscalcula- I do not know why I see numbers wrong but not letters, do not ask me. Yes, long strings of numbers and our reliance on them has done me no favors, thanks!)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Wudz posted:

As soon as I started my shift today, had a guy (among other things) try to give me a full wind up punch to the head, made vague that's about seeing me outside, and said he wished he could enslave me (?).

My offending action?

I asked him to wear headphones to listen to music in the library. Maybe don't be that kind of weirdo if you can avoid it, thanks

Why are dudes like this? It could just be my luck, but it always seems to be men in specific that do the speaker thing with music, while women seem to just converse loudly on speakerphone when they're rude with sound. Working with the public in any capacity became much worse with the advent of speakerphone on cell phones and affordable bluetooth speakers.

I just don't get the mindset of intentionally being disruptive. Why?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Zesty posted:

Men interrupt libraries like THIS while women interrupt libraries like THIS.

You have to very intentionally and aggressively be reading into what I said to take it as some reddit incel bullshit.

I don't know how you identify, and don't care, but it's pretty goddamned rich for a trans dude to be painted as some :biotruths: loving shithead for discussing how people are socialized to be dicks in differing ways.

It's not like a topic I would research and be introspective on. :v: It's not like I've spent time dreading closing time because I'm scared some angry dude is going to be waiting for me with a gun over music or coupons or turning his number down or something.

DicktheCat fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 11, 2023

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Remulak posted:

That was normalized the very minute reality tv started up and the principals needed to use speakerphone so the boom guy could pick up the other party.

It happened virtually overnight.

It's very weird, because people will talk about very personal things this way, then act like employees are in the wrong for having to exist in the vicinity of whatever place they walked into.

Or worse, they'll do something requiring interacting with an employee, and not stop their other conversation. I don't know about other places, but there's a real issue in the US where "service with a smile" has turned working with the public into a dehumanizing grind.

A manager at a shoe store almost cried in relief when I told him that it was ok they didn't have my size in the pair I first liked, because it's only shoes! He was ready to run himself ragged over some shoes that didn't exist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the lovely old lady in the train bunk below me who thought it made sense to blast muslim devotional music at 2am begs to differ. i grant not being entirely familiar with the expected etiquette of overnight platzkart trains, but i was surprised that none of the surrounding locals told her to knock it off

"i didn't bring headphones and i do not care" is unfortunately a fairly universal phenomenon

1) my post is only about working with the public in the USA, specifically the east coast.

2) It's a bit mystifying that people scramble to defend the honor of men they don't know when a person who's borne the brunt of their consistent and likely culturally ingrained disregard notes the pattern. The point wasn't that women never do this rude behavior, the point was men seem to do it more, and the consequences for asking them to stop are often violent.

This derail sucks, it's tedious and draining.

Does anyone have a weird story about libraries? Like, what do you do if someone returns a book that's really gross, like their cat peed on it, do you ban them? Do people try to bring animals into the library a lot?