Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

bare bottom pancakes posted:

Those poor Nazis had to meet in the dark :ohdear:

I guess that’s why they call it the Dark Enlightenment :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Just as a pick-me-up for the thread, here’s a few decorations I did for our library:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jet Jaguar posted:

This viral tweet about “how dare libraries weed their collection” makes me realize that a lot of folks idealize books in a way libraries never do.

Well? Where’s the tweet?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

We run a book sale that operates off of donations, and we get the rattiest, roach filled books because society ranks “throwing books in the garbage” alongside “kicking puppies”. Best one was someone brought in a buncha People magazines from the 60s because “they weren’t doing him any good under the bed”.

not going to touch the poop, but where is this viral tweet we’re dunking on?

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 11, 2021

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Got called a commie-Nazi for trying to enforce a reintroduced mask mandate this week :smith:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I tend to agree, fines only make sense if you imagine a book club enthusiast or light library user that only checks out 1-3 books at a time. At our branch we do 20¢ per item per day, with a max of 30 items. We have a couple parents that aim for that maximum, so when fines are applied that’s $6 per day. Had a person just yesterday with ten movies that were 4 days overdue and had to tell them they had $8.80 on their card.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Had a pair of interesting encounters this year.

Back around august a patron comes into the library asking for help, and explains that he needs to replace a part in his freezer.

“Well sir our computers are right over here and-“

“Nah nah nah I don’t use computers, I’ve got the serial number here you can just order it for me right?”

I figured what the hell, it was a slow Saturday in a ruralish library. Might as well go above and beyond for a senior citizen (I’d later find out he was 89)

Well, turns out he’d gotten the number for the fridge as a whole and not the exact component, so as far as I could figure out from the info provided I was looking at replacing the entire ice making unit, since the patron wasn’t very helpful with details. I asked if he could bring in the broken part. 45 minutes pass and he walks back in with a warped and buckled ice bucket.

“Ya see my grandson left his coke in the freezer and it spilled so I washed it and put it in the oven to dry… but I fell asleep and this is what I pulled out”

At the very least I was able to save him some money by getting just the new ice bucket, but this is when he started showing his age to me by repeating his explanation of what happened maybe seven or eight times.

I found a website that sold individual parts and asked him to put in his credit card info.

“No, no no, could you handle that?” he asked as he produced his card.

I sighed, but went ahead since it was a Saturday and we were understaffed anyway, it’s going to be quicker to help him out than figure out proper procedure.

That should have been the end of it, until he came in two weeks ago to repeat the process with a water heater component he managed to mis-thread. His catchphrase this time around was “yeah I bought this back in New York City but it’s not popular around here, not popular”. After some digging I find out he brought in a part of the burner, not the boiler and I have to enter his credit card info again :shepface:

I went over this with the head librarian and I’ve been instructed not to mess with his card again for obvious liability reasons

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

HonorableTB posted:

I still can't believe after everything Trump did, it's the nerds at the National Archives that took him down (possibly). Impeached twice and tried to overthrow the government and shrugged it off; pisses off the federal librarians and gets investigated for espionage and raided by the FBI

Quorum posted:

Don't mess with archivists, they cut their teeth in the Deep Stacks battling the Silverfish Elders.

E: vvv yes, but the National Archives were the organization in contact with him about retrieving the documents, whatever they contain vvv

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 13, 2022

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Turbinosamente posted:

There is also the thing where manga is filed alphabetically by title in bookstores. I don't know if libraries do this as well or not because I shamefully haven't been to mine in a while.

Ours does it by last name so MHA is under Horikoshi

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Classic Weirdo In Library encounter last week:

I'm dashing between tasks but get stopped by a patron exclaiming,

:agesilaus: "Hey! I'm looking for a history lesson!"

:hist101: "Oh! Well, our local history section is right over this way, what-"

:agesilaus: "Yeah I heard about the french and the spanish and some skedaddle, and what I want to know is, who was the king?"

:hist101: "Okay sir, you're talking about a couple different times and places, let me get you to those books and-"

:agesilaus: "You guys have a nice little town here, lovely people, only been here two days so far. Met a nice old couple, just walked up to their door and knocked, we had a great conversation until their son showed up and harrassed me. Said stuff like 'Who are you, what are you doing in my parent's house, don't make me call the cops'."

:hist101: "Err, that does sound like a lot. Here's the best book on our towns hist..."

:agesilaus: "I should stop day-drinking"

I left him there with a few books before I laughed at the whole situation

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

My favorite is when someone takes one of our hardbacks out to the beach and there’s sand in the plastic wrap-around.