Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Wudz posted:

sorry about using your good thread to vent

As an academic librarian who doesn't have to deal with any of this, feel free to vent away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Pekinduck posted:

I work for a huge university with a huge library system. Employees get to check out books and you can get anything from any school library, usually delivered on the same day or the next, its pretty great. There's a rule though that any book you get has to be "work related" I was nervous at first but after a while just ordered whatever, nobody seemed to be checking.

Once I was in a meeting and the head librarian of our department's was there. One of my coworkers asked "that work related rule for checking out books, is that uh, you know, enforced?" The librarian told us he once saw the stats for patronage and the heaviest user systemwide checked out an average of 50 books a day. If no ones questioned what the hell that guy is doing we will be fine.

(He thought it might be some digital preservation project and not actually a guy hauling off 50 books daily)

That's interesting about the work related requirement. No one has questioned anything I've checked out through ILL in our university system. Perks of being a faculty librarian is the ability to check out books from our catalog for an entire academic year. I've also received all sort of stuff through ILL: Warhammer books, comics, and even N64 games. Helps that I routinely publish book chapters with the popular culture librarian, I suppose.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
If the one cataloging course I took during my MLIS taught me anything, it was that I did not want to become a cataloger. Thankfully, I only have to deal with making up a small amount of metadata in a very generous Dublin Core schema.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I remember getting a journal of a politician from the late 1800s and the ILL form said that damage or losing it would incur a $250 fine. So, rather than take my chances, I photocopied the entire thing and handed it back in.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I really enjoy my academic library position, but I'm in a unique position as we are faculty and have tenure. A one year position might be a blessing because you'll be able to meet all sorts of academic librarians who that you otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to work with. On the other hand, if you have great job security now, you may want to stick with it. You're going to have to weigh the pros of a fresh, new position vs job security and possible burnout. If you do get offered the academic library job and want to take it, treat it like a paid networking opportunity and make those professional connections. Use whatever resources are at the university to bolster your career prospects, attend webinars, participate in a working group, take whatever travel money is offered to you, etc. Best of luck in your future endeavours!