Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Mostly, I just want to share this, but since this is A/T I shall offer goonlore in the form of a question:

Have you read this thread? I live at the library (and you can, too!) It's the rightfully goldmined thread of a homeless goon from a few years ago, which started off with him giving an alternate perspective on weirdos in public libraries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Unfortunately... One thing the guy would always bring up in his initial presentation was that snakes had a bad rap because of the Bible. That's fair enough; just because Satan (if you believe that stuff) appeared as a snake, not all serpents are bad. But his rhetoric got more and more vehement each year, and one year some Bible-thumping parents complained that it wasn't our place as a public library to put on programs that taught their children what they should and shouldn't believe about the Bible. Which, while true, kinda sucked, because that was the end of Snakes Alive coming to visit.

The nutty thing is the dude's a devout Christian. He's just tired of snakes getting trash-talked because of one bad apple. (Haha, get it? Garden of Eden? Bad apple? ... Thanks, I'm here all week, try the veal and tip your bartender.)

Should have mixed it with some anti-Harry Potter rhetoric, if those were out yet.

That's a really cool event.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Yes! Yes, please. I think I'd really enjoy a Let's Read of either an old kid's book or an old science book, to get a sense of different perspective/knowledge.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Based on my one experience with Dean Koontz many years ago, "have got a terrible fever" seems like an appropriate accompaniment.

(It's certainly better than the cousin of mine who had the flu and read The Stand.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

including the directior that went to see a prostitute EVERY loving LUNCHBREAK.

Every lunchtime fuckbreak.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

thinking "oh, maybe his old short stories are different, I'll peruse this on my lunch break." I read the one about a (totally self-insert) guy who fell in love with a fairy, who manages to take his massive cock inside her despite the fact that she's only six inches tall, and I swore him off for good.

Oh god, that story. :magical: That story was just hilarious to me when I was 13. I think that collection also had a dentist abducted by aliens who was working on some whale-sized creature whose cavities were large enough to climb inside.

If anybody's interested in trying to give Piers Anthony a shot after this exchange (doubtful), try Macroscope. It's one of his first books, from the era when he was a well-regarded young novelist (it was nominated for a Hugo!), not just "that guy who writes Xanth." It's not like it doesn't have weird hosed-up sex stuff, but that it also has a ton of other stuff going on. Also, the protagonists steal Neptune.

Mythological creatures, though? Uh. Hm. I've been on way more of a scifi kick lately, other than rereading Discworld. I wouldn't otherwise mention it (if I weren't struggling to think of something), but have you ever tried The Wheel of Time series? It's not to everyone's tastes, and I could imagine a number of reasons why someone would dislike it, but I happen to enjoy it. If it's to your taste, then you're in luck, because there's just so much of it. So it might be worth a trial, just for that.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

In addition to all that's been said about it being terrible, there's this earlier thread topic:

quote:

The renovation also involved adding wood, metal and digital fabrication shops, a makerspace, research lab and small-tool repository to the building's ground floor.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Gosh. I just thought "Wow, that looks bad" and "what happens if you drop a book on it, how far apart is the grating? Could it land edge-down and slightly damage the spine?" And then every post since has been about yet another way (that hadn't occurred to me) in which it's horrible.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Coheed and Camembert posted:

How's everyone's library handling the coronavirus?

My local library posted:

All Multnomah County libraries are closed until further notice due to COVID-19. Do not return materials. You will not be charged.

I don't even have anything checked out. Tend to go for digital loans more often anyway. They say they are not able to mail books "right now", which implies that they're probably trying to get that set up to restore usage without having to bring a lot of people into the same space.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

ante posted:

Don't worry, there will be fewer people trying to take out the books you want, too

Because people will be irrationally afraid of close contact, touching used books, after this is all over, right?

:(

On the note of patrons being scythed down, what's the age distribution like at a public library? I've loved them since I was a child, but I loved the books and didn't pay attention to the people. Now, I get things on hold and am in and out too quickly for people-watching.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I use the King County Library system and Hoopla and Overdrive are fantastic. I've been enjoying Hoopla's ridiculous archive of top tier comics (finally getting around to Sandman and Hellboy) that are easy to read on a tablet, and Overdrive has a great collection of audiobooks.

I don't live in King County any more, but I'm still grateful to them. Something like 13-14 years ago, I was wandering through my local library and noticed they had Vol. 1 of Absolute Sandman. I'd heard of it, but never read it before, and the Absolute edition made it a hell of a dramatic book to check out. From Wikipedia:

fake edit: Actually, looking at release dates, it must've just come out when I picked it up. Cool. I never realized that Sandman's Absolute series hadn't finished coming out when I started reading it.

actual edit: What I'm saying here is that public libraries are good and I like them.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Told a friend about our book disinfection plans and he came up with the helpful suggestion of boiling them.

How much does an autoclave cost?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I'm not sure anyone ever mentioned it to me. But I did work in my High School's library and a regular task was just reading the shelves, making sure they were in order.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Cloks posted:

A good example would be a patron looking for manga - using the BISAC system, that's found under Comics & Graphic Novels / Manga, with additional subcategories such as Food, Horror and Dystopian under that.

While I appreciate representation of all three primary genres of manga, how does the system handle crossover? How does a dystopian food horror manga get filed?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Y'know John Hinckley Jr, the guy who tried to assassinate Reagan?

Sure do, and if you don't know his theme song, you should give it a listen. (Note: Duet with Squeaky Fromme. Who is also alive and out of prison!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

The_Other posted:

So the other day my library got an inter-library loan from Harvard university. It was a 150-year-old book on naval architecture and it was HUGE. Here it is in the package it came in;

Thing was 3'x3' or something. It was also very fragile so we asked the patron if he would just use it in the library, but he said he knew what he was getting into and had special equipment to use/scar/read the book.

:ohdear: