Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014
I just finished my MLIS in December and am working fervently to become a library weirdo. Picked a hell of a time to try and find a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

Cloks posted:

OCLC seems more open to remote hiring these days fwiw.

Thanks! I'll add it into my rotation.

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

Tippecanoe posted:

Welp, accepted my academic job offer and sent in my resignation letter, so I'm turning in my weirdo card. Best of luck, fellow public library weirdos :)

Congrats! I am the director of a small academic library and the first two library jobs I had were 1 year contracts like this. The second one I was able to turn into something more. The first one I wouldn't have wanted to and was happy to be able to leave easily.

If you like it and are a good fit, it probably shouldn't be too much trouble to make into something real. If its a bad fit you'll be happy for an easy exit. The non-cynical explanation for the 1 year contracts is they help ensure they don't get stuck with too big of a weirdo for decades because once you're in, you're in.

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

Tippecanoe posted:

Thanks! I've definitely heard some mixed messages; for the institutions in my province, some people seem to get permanent in a year or so, others get shuffled around for years. Overall it's still miles ahead of my old job, so while this contract business does frustrate me (and I am not looking forward to interviewing again) it's not like I'd jump back to the public sector. My supervisor is saying that I might be a good fit for a permanent job that's coming up next year but I'm not sure if that's for serious or if she's just trying to convince me to take on more work. I do fill a bit of a niche by having more technical skills than a lot of the other librarians. We'll see what happens!

Be careful to not over-extend yourself. Knowing how much you can do and doing it well are, in my opinion, worth more than being willing to get loaded way down and overworked. I've had colleagues in your position, and taking on a bunch of extra stuff didn't wind up paying off for them. Being good at communicating, being good at the work, and being easy to get along with will probably have a much bigger impact. Of course take this advice with a grain of salt; I don't know you, your boss, or your circumstances as well as you do.

Edit: having had a little more time to think about it, if you're going to take on 'extra' work, try to do things like committee representation and other university service work. That tends to be a big avenue for career advancement anyway (rather than publishing). Also don't neglect professional development opportunities.

hydroceramics fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 17, 2024